“The desk staff is so rude! Upkeep and Internet are bad.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Hays
Kansas City, Missouri
“The desk staff is so rude! Upkeep and Internet are bad.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Front desk acts like I'm keeping them from something as I ask about places to eat. Really abrupt and he goes back to the Internet. Phone doesn't work, iron spits rust and Internet is horrible. I call down, surprise. They'll fix it tomorrow. Ill be gone tomorrow. Think it'll be fixed?

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
tulsa,ok
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had booked a room at this place, well in advance for our trip ,since this was like the mid point to our journey to Colorado.We reached there at around 10 at night and were given a king bed room inspite of us reserving a 2 double bed. I travelled with my husband and our 9 year old, so two double beds would be Ideal. We asked them to change our room and they refused citing that all the rooms were booked. Although I couldn't believe what they said we were tired and didn't want to argue.
We were given a room in the first floor .And it was a room for people with Disabilities. As soon as i entered the room I noticed a moist/mildew smell. It was so bad i started sneezing as soon as we entered the room.The AC was not turned on and when we tried to turn it on it wouldnt start . We called the front desk and the guy came in, carelessly removed the ac cover and tried Different things in there. Apparently he had no clue what he was doing. then he paged another guy and both of them came in and tried various other things.They couldn't turn it on and left the room to get some help. My husband reduced the temperature and it then started . It had stopped again a bunch of times and we had to call them again. Their advice was to crank it up every 5 minutes gradually or the AC will freeze and stop working. I was really angry at this point and had asked them if something else was available and once again we were refused another room.We couldn't go anywhere else since we had already paid for the room .
in addition to the temperature issue, the AC sounded like a Freight train whenever it would start. On top of this the Road noise was also pretty bad inside the room. So between the Road noise and the AC i got little to no sleep.
The bedrooms were another story.They were rust marks all over the shower and the towels looked old and were a diminished white almost looked yellowish.
All in all we wanted to get some rest in between our long trip and we would have been better of driving another 5 hours straight instead of staying here. Will never ever stay back here at any cost.I would rather sleep in my car on the side of the highway because thats exactly how it felt.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Hays hotels

Springfield, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We had a free one-night stay here through a rewards program. No major problems but a few observations. There was a slight but persistent mildew smell every time we entered our room. The towels were VERY thin and limp. The next morning (Sat.), we picked a peak time to go down for the free breakfast: no seating, most hot selections wiped out, and one young attendant struggling to keep things going. The hotel space for breakfast is one the smallest I've ever seen and the scene was a little chaotic. Things got better after 30 minutes or so, and the food was pretty decent. Try to go early or late for breakfast, esp. on a weekend. Not a terrible stay, but I might pick a different place next time in Hays.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Woodbridge, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I chose Fairfield because I wanted a guaranteed non-smoking room and Marriott properties are good for that. The room was clean, fresh, and comfortable. Internet worked great. Breakfast was very good. But the parking lot light shined into Room 309. Even the darkening curtains could not contain the light. I want a dark room to sleep and this wasn't dark. Very disappointing. Maybe I should have told someone but I'm not normally a complainer. Except here, apparently.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Denver, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This hotel would've gotten another star except the rooms are looking a little tired. The location, parking, etc are all very good. The front desk staff is very friendly and helpful with restaurant suggestions. This is a great hotel for a stopover.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I needed a place for one night on a quick trip from Denver to OKC. The staff was friendly, the room was clean and I had no problems. I needed an early start so I hit the breakfast early and was very pleased with the quality and variety.
An added note, Due to a recent injury I have not been able to sleep in a bed. However, I was able to relax in the bed here. I can't quite figure out why but it worked.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stop on the way through Kansas! Rooms were very comfortable. Convenient to the highway. We slept through the breakfast as we got there really late. Free Internet worked well. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Fairfield Inn Hays? Share your experiences!