“Good experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 15 hotels in Hays
Russell, Kansas
“Good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed here one night with our grandchildren, age 4,5, and 6, as a treat for them. The room was very nice and very clean. It was always quiet while we were there. We all had a blast in the pool and hot tub. The jets weren't working and ordinarily this would be a BIG diissapointment for us, but the hot tub was so big the grandkids had fun swimming in it. It was plenty hot. The pool was cool but not ice cold. The breakfast was very good! The staff was friendly, but we didn't have any issues. I do wish they had DVD players or pay per view. It would've been nice to have a good movie to watch while eating pizza. There was a microwave and refrigerator. The vanity is outside the bathroom, but it is around the corner so you still have some privacy from the sleeping area. The beds were probably the most comfortable hotel beds we've slept on. Our towels were white and thick.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Independence, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This hotel is conveniently located just north of I-70 with easy on/off access. Free parking and free Wifi are pluses. Guest rooms are nicely decorated in a contemporary decor, but the vanity is really small. Okay for a one-night stay, but little space near the sink for many items. The bath/toilet area is separate from the vanity. Good cable TV service. Three restaurants are within walking distance with a Wendy's ready to open soon close by. An indoor pool and free breakfast are also available.

Room Tip: Three floors with an elevator.
Grand Junction, Colorado, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Can I do negative 1? So my wife and my daughter broke down 70 miles from hays and had to stay. Marriott seemed to be the most expensive but Marriott is a decent name and we wanted a good experience. After all we had spend 3 hours on the side of the freeway in 28 degree weather. We were towed to Marriott. I Checked in and the tow truck dropped off my pickup. Also the hotel told us they would give us a late checkout. Should have stayed in a motel 6 or something. There was this yappy dog that barked all night which kept my infant daughter and wife up. When I called to complain, Andrew told me, "well I could move you to the other end of the hotel" (keep in mind my truck will not move so I will have to pack everything) but then he said, "there's probably going to be a dog barking over there too." The motel had a no dog policy. That is why we stayed there!! Why don't they enforce it? The water in the shower kept getting really hot and then really cold for the first half other shower. For the second half the shower was just cold.

There were kids running around screaming at 5:30 am and woke up my wife and Jocelyn.

The next morning when my wife called down to ask when Breakfast ended she said the guy was super short and sounded annoyed.

Then we put our daughter down for a nap and at 12:15, KNOCK KNOCK maid service shows up and asks are you staying? Woke up Jocelyn! So I called down to front desk (this time upset) Andrew got short with me and I ended up hanging up on him. What a joke!!!!!!!!
For almost twice the cost of other hotels I would think I could leave without being pissed. Now I am in the room waiting to check out and mad enough to have wrote this review on my iPhone.

... Continuation So later I went outside to put some stuff in my pickup and when I tried to come back my key wasn't working. Apparently Andrew forgot to program my key to compensate for my late checkout. So I was stuck outside on the opposite side of the building and had to go around to the front to have it reprogrammed.

After all this I went down to talk to Andrew and his entire attitude was like "its not my fault!" When I asked him about the hot water he said well that's just the way it is when multiple people shower at the same time. When I brought up the dogs he said, "We are pet friendly" (Even though right in the rooms it says "NO PETS ALLOWED" When I asked him about the maid knocking on the door he said, "I entered it into the computer, so there's nothing I can do about that" When I asked about the disruptive guest he said, "That is out of my control." When I asked about the Key he said, "That isn't that big of a deal, I can just re program it"

NOT ONCE IN THE ENTIRE EXCHANGE DID THIS YOUNG MAN EVER APOLOGIZE OR OFFER TO DO ANYTHING TO COMPENSATE ME.

Do yourself a favor!! Sleep in your car. Your life will be better lol

Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We travel fairly often and stay almost exclusively at Marriott properties....at least when they are available. We have stayed at this hotel many times and my frustration is finally at wits end. With small children the pool is a great deal of entertainment and form of getting rid of their energy from being cooped up in the car. Every time we've stayed here the pool water is freezing cold. Yes, it's a heated pool (which is the only response we get from the desk staff when we complain, nothing can be done they say). This time another guest stuck her head in the pool room and asked how it was to which we responded "cold". She said its like thAt every time they stay here also and they visit quite often. Glad to know its not just us. In addition the jets in the hot tub were not working and the temperature of the hot tub was lukewarm at best. My kids take hotter baths than that water was.
In addition this time when we got to our room it wasn't the room we reserved and had to go back to the desk and ended up with a different type of room. A few other complaints...the towels are a bit dingy and they were out of extra washcloths at the front desk.
On a good note, the beds were fairly comfortable and we got a good nights sleep. Wish we didn't have so much stuff to pack up or we would be trying a different hotel for our second night in town.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Clean, consistent, and friendly. The floors are a bit hollow, but I slept well. I had other business travelers in my group at other hotels in the city end up with food and blood on their bed. No such problems at the Fairfield.

Room Tip: stuff a towel under the window or stare at light all night long
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Booked this for a 1 nite stopoff on a driving trip through Colorado. Found the location to be an easy off/easy on from the highway staff very friendly and helpful. Rooms were in great condition and the breakfast was definately up to the standards. This trip was in the midst of the summer heat wave, and I can attest, the hotel definately kept you cool and comfortable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I was in Hays for business and stayed at this Marriott for one night. I was a bit concerned about staying here after reading some previous reviews, I even called the manager a week early about my concerns but was told the hotel recently went thru a major renovation.

I found the hotel to be very nice and clean. The front-desk staff wasn't overly friendly, but they weren't rude either. The hotel room itself was clean and modern. There was a minor odor but nothing too strong that would warrant me to move.

The hotel is conveniently located just off I-70, and there are many eating establishments nearby. The breakfast in the morning was nothing special, just average.

Overall, I would stay here again if work takes me there.

Room Tip: Stayed on the top floor (3rd) away from the elevators, very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Fairfield Inn Hays? Share your experiences!