“Great location but a bit noisy” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Hays

Save Saved
You added Super 8 Hays to your Saves list
Super 8 Hays
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   3730 Vine Street, Junction of I-70 & US 183, Hays, KS 67601-1945   |
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Hays

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Raymore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I agree with the other travelers to this hotel, it's convenient to the highway, restaurants and shopping, we had no problems and the place was very clean. The staff was nice and accomodating to early check-in since we were in town for a wedding. Nice breakfast, fresh waffles, cereal, yogurt etc I would stay here again if Hays is the destination.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two weeks while hunting in Kansas. Exactly what I needed, a clean comfortable place to sleep. The staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel was in a good location, a lot of food choices close by. Nice clean quiet place with a friendly staff.

• Stayed December 2012
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

First time I've stayed at this Super 8. The front desk staff was very friendly. I booked a king room and was surprised there was a recliner in the room. It was very nice to have someplace to sit. It was quiet and the room was clean. Will probably stay here again next time I'm passing through.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is the 2nd time I have stayed at this Hotel in the past 6 years. Never again.

The first time (prior to management/ownership change) the room was fine on the second floor. No issues with the exception of they ADD a charge for the room safe on your bill - but, do not tell you. I always look at every hotel/motel bill prior to leaving. This added expense is never explained to you unless you ask. They will remove the cost ONLY if you go to the front desk in the morning and ask for them to remove it. Inconvenience? You bet.

This time - was no different - I only stayed because I thought the quality of the hotel would still be decent - the smell of smoky hallways proved my thought different. Yet I stayed - only because the room didn't smell - and I was exhausted. Noisy - to close to main drag.

To expensive for the quality.

Staff - friendly and courteous.

Breakfast is ... ok - adequate - yet uninviting.

Room Tip: With the smell of smoke in the hallways - I couldn't suggest a good room. Though my room did not...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
HaysManager, Manager at Super 8 Hays, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry that you had to deal with the smoke smell in the hallway. We do still have some smoking rooms and unfortunately that smoke smell can linger on the smokers as they walk through the halls. We have installed automatic air fresherners through out the halls that run on timers. Of course these are preset and have no way of knowing when a smoker it walking by, but do help with the situation. Hays Super 8 has always been owned by Supertel Hospitality and is managed by Kinseth Hospitality since June of 2011. In 2000 we partnered Saf-Mark to provide in-room safes for the convenience and security of our guests. We have always been up front with the safe fee. Currently we have a 5 by 7 sign at the front desk that reads:
"Thank you for choosing our Hotel as your home away from home. For your
convenience, the Hotel provides an in-room safe in every guestroom. A nonminal
charge of $1.50 plus applicable taxes will be added to your account per day. This
may be waived upon your request at check-out. Thanks and have a Super Day!!!"
On the Registration Card we have a message that reads:
"I understand a $1.50 fee plus tax for the safe with limited warranty will apprear on my
bill and may be removed upon check out.
In the room itself this information is included in our in room directories and on the safe itself.
The reason we automatically post this fee to each account is simply to protect the privacy of our guests. We don't want to know, and more importantly I am sure our guests don't want us or anyone else within earshot to know if they are carrying valuables. By automatically posting the fee we allow our guests to make the decision in the convenience and privacy of their own room whether or not they want to use this valuable seervice. Either way, we operate completely on the honor sytem and any guest request to remove the fee is honored. The safes are owned by Saf-Mark and the fee is paid to them to provide us with safes that are designed with care, are well constructed and come with a limited warrantty against forced entry for up to $10.000 adding confidence that the safes will do the job. I am glad that you found my staff to be friendly and courteous and hope that you will stay with us again.

Travelers are raving about these Hays hotels

2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

Hotel smells like smoke and is musty. Not very nice...more like a trucker motel. Would rather pay more next time and stay somewhere nicer and cleaner. Mattress pad was disgusting and if I had seen it before I slept on it, I would have demanded a refund! Gross!

• Stayed November 2012
HaysManager, General Manager at Super 8 Hays, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Thank You for posting a review on Trip Advisor and responding to my email asking for more information. I was able to locate the room that you stayed in and we replaced the box springs cover that had the stain on the side. I'm sorry that you found them in that condition. The housekeeping staff has been redirected in their responsibilities regarding the condidtion of the mattress and box springs covers. While we are located next to the truck stop and appreciate all the truckers who do stay here, I wouldn't say we are a trucker motel. We have all types of business associates and families that stay with us as well. We do have some smoking rooms, but I don't know what to say about the smoke and musty smell. Perhaps with the nice weather we have been having we didn't have either the air conditioner or the heat on, causing the air not to circlulate. I wouldn't say this is how it is normally. Again, thank you for you comments.

Been to Super 8 Hays? Share your experiences!