“Room was not cleaned well” 3 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Hays
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Shawnee, Oklahoma
“Room was not cleaned well”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

When we got to our room, it looked like someone had been on the beds, they may have just sat on them or laid something on them, but wasn't for sure. The coffee pot had not been cleaned either. Talked to the gentleman at the desk and he said it had been cleaned. He did offer us another room or a discount. We didn't want to have to deal with another room, so we chose the discount. They gave us $8 back. We were tired and had been in our vehicle all day. The poor guy at the desk was running ragged. He did his best.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kathleen K, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Hays, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for giving a chance to take care of the issue for you. I am sorry that you even had to deal with it. This is not our standards, but sometime we do fail. I do hope you give us another chance when you travel by. I'm sure you will see the difference. Thank you for letting me know.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
McCook, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

On April 11th-12th my son's baseball team was playing in Hays for the weekend. Our stay here was wonderful. The staff was great with and to the kids. The night staff the that check us in was polite, helpful with giving us ideas on where to eat and giving us direction. The next mornings staff was just as wonderful. I want to personally thank Lorre Williams she went above and beyond helping us. What a wonderful lady. It is a clean and well kept Hotel but I have to say the reason I look forward to going back is the staff. You were all wonderful! Thanks for help making our baseball teams stay that much more enjoyable.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
A big Thank You for staying with us. It is so good when I can share with my staff. They are the reason you keep coming back. Desk staff, housekeepers & breakfast personal enjoy our ball teams. We will see you again here in Hays, Ks at the Sleep Inn as we are always here for you.
Lenexa, KS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

We stayed here on our way to Colorado. We have stayed at another Sleep Inn in Colby, KS that was very good so we wanted to give the Hays location a try. I would say that the place is very clean and updated. Our room was nice though we couldn't get the a/c to cool off the room as cool as we wanted. I know it was working when we got into the room but later when we wanted to cool it off more (as we like it cool when we go to bed) we couldn't get it to work. I did get warm during the night. You could hear the people in the next room and I would assume the walls are pretty thin. The TV was great! Many channels and very clear. We enjoyed watching the NCAA tournament games in the room. The desk was very good and the breakfast was very, very, good. The Sleep Inn locations have the best breakfasts of any other hotel chains. Hot food, very good attentive help in the breakfast area and plenty to pick from. I would stay at Sleep Inn again, just for the breakfast. We were glad we stayed here and would stay again. Run very well.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for staying with us at the Sleep Inn in Hays, Ks. We all have different owners. Our staff enjoying taking care of you our guests.
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

This was a nice clean hotel, very quiet, nice front desk employees and overall a great place to stay. They have the best breakfast we have ever had for a free breakfast! You won't be disappointed for choosing this hotel!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Kathleen K, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Hays, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thank you for taking your time to let us know how we are doing here at the Sleep Inn at Hays, Ks. the staff try very hard to take care of each persons needs. We want to be your home away from home. This begins with the staff at check in, housekeepers to have your room comfortable to get a great night sleep. Then to awake to a nice breakfast to start your day. Our door is always open for you.
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

I was here for 3 months and was very satisfied. The place is kept very clean, and the staff is very competent, nice, and attentive to all requests. There is a hot breakfast 7 days/week with good coffee. Free USA Today to all guests. Quiet, restful place for short-term or long-term stay. Entrance to all rooms is from inside the hotel. Free wireless. No complaints.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Kathleen K, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Hays, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
With a 3 month stay we are happy to hear you rated us top. That you found the staff to be competent. The hotel clean. The breakfast always hot. When your in the area again, we hope to see you at the Sleep Inn in Hays, Ks. For we want you to feel at home with us. Safe travels to you.
Gladstone, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We wanted to try a few different hotels and we stayed at the Best Western right next door. Out of the two there was a 7 dollar difference and I would pick Best Western in a heart beat. A lot newer and roomy and classier. I understand the Sleep Inn is under construction but the room was no where close to the one in Best Western. Breakfast was decent but a small variety. The one thing I will say is the room was clean.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Yes we were putting new tile in the lobby & breakfast area. Sorry you didn't feel you had much variety for breakfast as we have fresh hot waffles, biscuits & gravy, sausage links, scrambled eggs, Bagels, muffins, Danishes, Toast, oatmeal, two types of cereal, yogurt. Three types of juice, coffee & hot chocolate. What else would you like to see on our breakfast line we are here to accommodate our guest. As you stated you found your room very clean. We are proud to say you will always find the rooms nice & clean here at the Sleep Inn. We do appreciate all comments good & bad as this is how we improve for you.
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We stayed here on our way back from thanksgiving with the family. I booked through a credit card points reward system so I probably payed "more" than most. I travel quite a bit so I have a few basic expectations of hotels.

Pros: HUGE shower. Made bathing the kids much easier without getting wet (no tub in this room). Beds are adequately comfortable (I would rate them medium firmness). Newer high def TV with pretty good channel selection.

Cons: Where to start? Night person at the check in desk was rather indifferent to me. Not rude, but not exactly "warm and fuzzy". I had to ask where the elevator was and how to get to my room. Not very helpful. If there were other things offered to guests, I was unaware because the night person was not exactly forthcoming with info. The room: Floor had stains right inside the door. Bathroom had mold in the caulking around the shower. My Socks showed dirt after walking around on the floor for the night. The Heat/AC is the old window style without a real thermostat, so we were up several times in the night adjusting it. The furniture in the room looked a bit dated. The overall poor cleanliness of the room led us to check for bed bugs (we didn't find any).

Conclusion: In general I was really disappointed with this hotel. The reviews I read online seemed to suggest something much nicer than what we encountered. I think most of my issues were related to expectations. Honestly, if this were a Super8 or Motel6 I would not be writing this review because you get what you pay for. However at 90-ish in the middle of KS, I expected better.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Kathleen K, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Hays, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
I would like to say I am sorry we didn't meet your expectations. I will take care of your issues. We are in the middle of doing updates to the hotel. I am sorry the room you was in is not one of the rooms we have gotten to yet. But yes all rooms are being caulked and carpets shampooed. The desk staff is new and I will be sure they get more training. I do appreciate your comments both good and bad. That is how we improve to make your stay great. Glad your bed met your needs. You enjoyed the huge walk in shower along with our new TV. More improvements to come. I do hope when you travel thru you will give us another chance to make things right.

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites Hays? Share your experiences!