“It's still worth a trip...” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Lawrence, Kansas
“It's still worth a trip...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I had a 2 piece chicken dinner recently and it was very good. My husband had a hot roast beef sandwich and also reported that it was very good. The menu leans towards comfort food. There's plenty on the menu that looked tempting.

I'd be giving a higher rating if the mashed potatoes weren't out of a box and if butter were served with the dinner roll instead of margarine.

That being said, I'm looking forward to my next visit.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

70% Recommend
Colorado Springs
“Hays history in a true American diner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

Before I say anything, understand I am prejudiced...I have been eating at Al's Chickenette since I was five years old. I may have been the first customer...at least y parents might have been. This place is a throwback to the 1950s diner style, complete with the neon lights inside, and the sign outside. Many would walk into the door, take a look around and walk right back out. To do so would mean they had missed out on some of the best fried chicken availabe anywhere across America. Al's Chickenette is a local legend. Tolerate the atmosphere, wipe the crumbs off your seat, and set ourself down to a basket full of the best darned fried chicken and handcut french fries anywhere, any time, any how. We were a party of 20, and I picked up the tab...$150. Unbelievable. You can't help but feel a bit tainted after sitting in a booth or using the restroom, but hey, take a shower...the food is worth it, and this is true piece of American midwest history. If you don't like it, don't tell me...I am going back again and again as long as Al's endures.

Kansas
“Was good...years ago....BAD now.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

The last five times I've been there, I've gotten grizzled tiny postage-stamp size pieces of chicken. They're like that turkey on the movie "Christmas Vacation", but, of course, much smaller. They still charge full price, though!

Independence, Missouri
“Chicken fried steak leaves me craving more!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

The chicken and the chicken fried steaks at Al's are the kind that create cravings that can only be satisfied by going there again. Unfortunately for me, I live in Missouri and don't get back to Hays nearly as often as I'd like. Every time I can make it to Hays, I make sure to go to Al's Chickenette for my next "fix."

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Colorado
“Yummy!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

Drove the extra few miles off the highway to try this place and it was great...and cleaner than we expected! Fried chicken dinner was crispy and fresh aand the fries were abundant and the mashed potatoes and cream gravy were some of the best we have had. To get white meat it seemed as though you had to get a half chicken, but we found out later you CAN order just a breast and wing which would be much better....Go for it...it is mouthwateringly good chicken, the potatoes are terrific and the salad was good too....