“Always wanted to stop, glad we finally did” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 13 Attractions in Hays
Type: Natural History Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: Part of the Fort Hays State University, the museum is dedicated to collecting and preserving plant and animal specimens pertaining to the Great Plains.
Berryton, Kansas, United States
13 attraction reviews
“Always wanted to stop, glad we finally did”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We had seen the museum from the hiway but never stopped in on our way to other places, today we made the stop and glad we did. It's a very nice place and the man at the information desk was very nice and gave us some information about the exhibits and a map of the museum and some history about the animals there. I loved the 100+ yr old turtle in the lobby, he liked my orange sweater apparently and kept swimming in the direction I walked. First snapping turtle I had ever seen stand up on his tail and look like a big teddy bear, you just wanted to hold him, but yeas he could snap your head off, he was so big. The dinasaurs, snakes, etc. all were really worth the stop and I was so impressed with the entire place. Plan on 2 hours or more if you can.

Visited October 2012

Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 attraction reviews
“Fossils are Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

The amount of marine fossils that the Sternberg has is simply amazing. Definitely worth stopping in for!

Visited October 2012
Hays Kansas
3 attraction reviews
“What a great stop to stretch your legs and learn some history!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

This is a first class museum with dinosaurs and all sorts of things from that era. Your kids will love it, too! Very well designed. Definitely worth the price and the stop on the Interstate.

Visited August 2012
Great Bend, Kansas
5 attraction reviews
“Great kid entertainment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I was wary about taking my 2 1/2 year old here because, well, it's a museum. It turned out to be a great experience! There was plenty for the adults to see, but the entertainment for my son was great. There is a sand pit to dig for fossils and the discovery room with tons of hands on play. After 2 hours my son was still having a great time. The museum is relatively small, but there is plenty of exhibit space.

Visited September 2012
Council Grove, Kansas
13 attraction reviews
“daughter loves it!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

It is really fun to watch the kids when the reptiles and dinos move!!! It takes about a hour to go thru, my daughter also loves the gift shop!

Visited October 2011