“Very nice property in Hays” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 15 hotels in Hays
Greeley
“Very nice property in Hays”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here while visiting Fort Hays State University. This is one of the cleanest hotels I have stayed in. It is very new and kept very clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful. This probably is the best property in Hays and in a quiet area near Wal-mart and Applebees. I am a travel agent and usually get very good rates. The rate I paid at this property is pretty high even for an agent and I don't know that it is that much better than say the Fairfield or a few others if I was paying regular rates though. The breakfast is the normal HI Express- nothing great but the hostess is friendly and keeps things very clean and fully stocked. Breakfast room is one of the largest I have seen too with plenty of seating. Elevators were some of the slowest ever if that bothers you. Book a 1st floor room if you are antsy. We used the stairs usually. I would recommend this place if you are willing to pay a bit extra.

144 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Topeka, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Reception person was very pleasant. Very clean nice room. Very good breakfast. The breakfast was one of the best we have ever encountered in a chain. One of the waitresses, ChristieAnna, was so sweet and helpful. She had been working at a wonderful resturant we eat at in downtown Hays, "the Rooftop Resteraunt", we always plan our stops in western Kansas so we can stop there for dinner. Even though she wasn't our waitress, she was very helpful while we were there and remembered us from our meeting. She should be commended for her exceptional work and knack for making guests feel good. Our other motel experience in Hays, and some of the surrounding towns along I70, left us not excited about spending the night in the area, but we have changed our minds about that now that we have stayed in the Holiday Inn Express.

Room Tip: We came in early evening, so only had a handicapped room available, but it worked out great because...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Driving cross country we decided to spend the night at the Holiday Inn in Hays, KS. I decided to pay for the room using my Priority Club Rewards Points because the nightly room rate was excessive for Western Kansas. The hotel appeared to be clean and up to date. Very comfortable beds and nice flat screen tv.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

As we were driving across country we decided to only stay in Holiday Inn Express Hotels, we found the accomadations very nice throughout the country. This particular hotel was furnished very nice and I have to say it exceeded my expectations for Hays KS. It is definately not what I was expecting, the decor throughout the hotel was very modern but still welcoming. Hot breakfast was great. Staff was very friendly and went out of their way to accommodate us.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My first priority is a clean hotel and this one exceeded our expecations.
We got a great night sleep, and enjoyed a delicious breakfast the next morning.
Walmart and Applebee's are close by.
We received great customer service.

Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

This Hotel is very nice, new, and clean. I would stay here more if the customer service wasn't horrible. I shouldn't say completely horrible (we did have 2 people who were very friendly to us). The first time we stayed here we had issues with the customer service while checking in but when we had to return for business we said oh that may have been a fluke. It was worse this time. When checking in the people are genuinely condescending and rude. We have worked with the schools looking at resources available to the youth in the community and trying to better the resources for the community. Our company has sent people to stay in Hays once a year for 10 years. We are a government entity and have received government rate at literally EVERY other hotel in Kansas including Holiday Inns in other communities. This one we have a problem. The first time we stayed we had no problem just a little unfriendliness at check in. The second time we get here at almost 9pm. We are exhausted from working and traveling all day. They inform us that they do not honor the government rate for schools or universities. I saw “hmm that is weird because we didn’t have a problem last time we were here nor have we had a problem at any other hotel”. The woman behind the desk says she remembers us and that she is unsure of why they didn’t mention it last time. After being very condescending to my co-worker and shoving a piece of paper in her face about some policy she finally said “as a courtesy we will wave it this time”. Overall she was unfriendly and talked down to us which I think is the worst way to handle the situation. If it wasn’t so late and I wasn’t so exhausted I would have went to a different hotel. I have never felt more unwelcomed.
I would definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone nor will I return. I would rather sleep in a crappier hotel and feel like my business is wanted or drive farther for work and stay in a different town altogether. I have never been so disappointed in a Holiday Inn and that includes the one that smelled disgusting. I would at least return to that one.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Express4650, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hays, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
We value our customers feed back and I am sorry that you feel you were treated rudely. We do trian our staff on rate rules. We do stateon the web site that schools do not qualify for a government rate at this property as we all have different owners. We did honor your government rate this time and every other stay that you were here, and we also honored your late check-out. I want to thank-you for staying and your feedback that you posted.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed here on our way to Colorado with kids ages 11, 9, 6, 3. We stayed in a big room (a suite?) which had a pull out couch. Room could accomodate all of us comfortably. Nice clean pool. Big hot tub. Room was clean and pleasant. Lots of outlets and flat surfaces where we could charge our portable DVD player, laptops, ipods, DS, etc.

Next to a WalMart in case you need any road trip last minute items.

Front desk was very nice. I asked for a good place to get coffee and was directed to Moka's on the other side of 70. Great coffee to fuel us as we continued our road trip.

We will stay here again the next time we go to Colorado.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hays? Share your experiences!