“Wonderful stay, clean, conveniently located,great customer service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hays

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Hays
Hartford, Connecticut
“Wonderful stay, clean, conveniently located,great customer service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My first priority is a clean hotel and this one exceeded our expecations.
We got a great night sleep, and enjoyed a delicious breakfast the next morning.
Walmart and Applebee's are close by.
We received great customer service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

This Hotel is very nice, new, and clean. I would stay here more if the customer service wasn't horrible. I shouldn't say completely horrible (we did have 2 people who were very friendly to us). The first time we stayed here we had issues with the customer service while checking in but when we had to return for business we said oh that may have been a fluke. It was worse this time. When checking in the people are genuinely condescending and rude. We have worked with the schools looking at resources available to the youth in the community and trying to better the resources for the community. Our company has sent people to stay in Hays once a year for 10 years. We are a government entity and have received government rate at literally EVERY other hotel in Kansas including Holiday Inns in other communities. This one we have a problem. The first time we stayed we had no problem just a little unfriendliness at check in. The second time we get here at almost 9pm. We are exhausted from working and traveling all day. They inform us that they do not honor the government rate for schools or universities. I saw “hmm that is weird because we didn’t have a problem last time we were here nor have we had a problem at any other hotel”. The woman behind the desk says she remembers us and that she is unsure of why they didn’t mention it last time. After being very condescending to my co-worker and shoving a piece of paper in her face about some policy she finally said “as a courtesy we will wave it this time”. Overall she was unfriendly and talked down to us which I think is the worst way to handle the situation. If it wasn’t so late and I wasn’t so exhausted I would have went to a different hotel. I have never felt more unwelcomed.
I would definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone nor will I return. I would rather sleep in a crappier hotel and feel like my business is wanted or drive farther for work and stay in a different town altogether. I have never been so disappointed in a Holiday Inn and that includes the one that smelled disgusting. I would at least return to that one.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Express4650, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hays, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
We value our customers feed back and I am sorry that you feel you were treated rudely. We do trian our staff on rate rules. We do stateon the web site that schools do not qualify for a government rate at this property as we all have different owners. We did honor your government rate this time and every other stay that you were here, and we also honored your late check-out. I want to thank-you for staying and your feedback that you posted.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed here on our way to Colorado with kids ages 11, 9, 6, 3. We stayed in a big room (a suite?) which had a pull out couch. Room could accomodate all of us comfortably. Nice clean pool. Big hot tub. Room was clean and pleasant. Lots of outlets and flat surfaces where we could charge our portable DVD player, laptops, ipods, DS, etc.

Next to a WalMart in case you need any road trip last minute items.

Front desk was very nice. I asked for a good place to get coffee and was directed to Moka's on the other side of 70. Great coffee to fuel us as we continued our road trip.

We will stay here again the next time we go to Colorado.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

This is the first time my wife and I have stayed at this particular Holiday Inn Express. It is new (within the last year) and more upscale than other like hotels. The room was large and clean, with plenty of electrical outlets for phones, tablet computers, electric shavers, etc. However, it only contained a shower - and not a tub. For those of us who like to soak this was not good! The breakfast area was large and very modern; much nicer than any other breakfast areas I have experienced in this chains hotels. There were fashionable booths along the wall along with better than average lighting. A most welcoming experience.

Room Tip: If a tub (rather than just a shower) is desired ask at the desk to see if a room is available that o...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Boonville, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I learned the hard way in the past that if you're gonna stop overnight on a road trip, you'd better have a reservation somewhere. After a bit of planning, I decided on the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites in Hays, partially because I'm just a few Priority Club points away from becoming Platinum for next year, but also because I didn't want any "surprises" in the room quality.

I was not disappointed. The rooms were generously sized, and the Internet service and signal was more-than-sufficient. The shower heads for which Holiday Inn has become known were welcome in the morning as I prepared to hit the road again.

The free breakfast was a bit disappointing. The reconstituted eggs had no taste at all, but the cinnamon rolls were delicious.

The facility was very nice, and the staff was very friendly. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
s.w. mo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Fairly new facility - really impressed with room design. An abundance of electrical outlets near the bed make plugging in laptops, phones, camera/battery rechargers really convenient. Same great stay as I have come to expect. Safety, peace and quiet, great breakfast, convenient to interstate, and a walmart nearby.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Lawrence, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

This is a relatively new place. It is clean and well maintained. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The free breakfast is ok and it has all the amenities you would expect. The only reason I did not give it a top rating is because it is a little expensive for the location. But if you want to make sure you have a good room and don't want any surprises, this is the place for you in Hays, Kansas.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family