“Bad Experience” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Great Bend
Overland Park, Kansas
“Bad Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed at this hotel three weeks ago. We asked for a nonsmoking room and were given a room that horribly reaked of smoke. When complaining to the front desk, the staff didn' t seem too concerned. There only response was that the guests the night before also complained and all they could offer us was an air fresher to alleviate the problem. Ummm, doesn't really change the fact that the room had been smoked in. After stating we would rather leave and stay somewhere else, they gave us a new room. We should have known based on this alone that it was going to be a horrible experience. When I woke up the next morning, I had two bites on my arm and assumed they could be mosquito bites. That day we returned home and I continued to wake up each morning with more and more bites. I never experienced anything like this until I stayed at this hotel. We have since contacted an exterminator that confirmed our fear that we have bed bugs in our bed. We contacted the GM of the Best Western to express our concerns. She was not interested in even looking into the problem. Her only response to our concerns was "We don't have bed bugs." Not "I'll look into the problem"'or "We'll inspect the room to make sure there aren't bed bugs". We weren't asking for a refund. We just wanted the hotel aware of the issue, so they could resolve it for future guests. Apparently that's not a concern to them. Since our stay, we discovered other reviews that shared experiences with bed bugs at this location. Had we discovered these before booking, we would have never stayed there. Now we're looking at thousands of dollars just to rid our house of these pests.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
lbryan, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Angus Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
I would like to sincerely apologize for the fact that you were checked in to a room that smelled like smoke. We should have immediately had you moved to a different room when you informed us of that problem. You did not mention that issue when we spoke on the phone on Saturday, September 1st, however, so I didn't have a chance to apologize for that specific issue during our phone call. I only learned of that from this review and you review with Best Western customer service.
When it comes to your other issue regarding bed bugs, I assure you, bed bugs is an issue that I take very seriously. I am highly trained, along with my staff, on how to recongnize an issue and how to deal with it. If ever I thought we had a bed bug problem, it would be placed as my highest priority. After we spoke on Saturday, I went to both rooms that you occupied and found no evidence of a bed bug problem.
My main concern with your phone call to me was that you waited almost a month to contct me regarding the issue you are having. I am not quite sure why you waited so long to contact me concerning a matter of this magnitude. During our conversation over the phone, I tried to explain to you that we run a very high occupancy at our hotel. We have had dozens of guests in and out of the 2 rooms you occupied here and none of them have had any of the issues that you have had. I also tried to explain to you that bed bugs are not limited to hotel rooms, and since I was quite positive that you did not get bed bugs from our hotel, that you might want to investigate other public places you have been in before and after you stayed with us. If I have the slightest inkling that we may have a problem here, I would immediately take the proper steps to take care of it. I would never place an issue like this on the back burner.
I will also take this time to assure you that we have NEVER had bed bugs at this property. I am not sure where you may have read that we have, but I give a 100% guarantee that we have never had the issue here. I would like to know where you got the information so I can dispute any reviews that say anything different from the truth. Please feel free to email me at lbryan@bwangus.com or call me at 620-792-3541 with that information.
Again, I sincerely apologize for the issue you had with your room smelling like smoke at check in and I am sorry we didn't take care of it in a more efficient and sympathetic way, however, I cannot take the blame for you bug issue. I am sorry I can't be of more help with the investigation of your problem, but I assure you the issue did not initiate at this hotel.
Thank you for your thoughts and feedback.
Sincerely, Lacey Bryan, General Manager, Best Western Angus Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Pueblo, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I stayed here August 20, 2012 and it was easy to find, on a main hwy thru town. A busy four lane street/hwy, was a little noisy from the traffic as my room was on the second level just a few doors from this street/hwy. A room further back would have been better, but I did my reserveration on-line. So I didn't know, but was okay and I did sleep well. Room was nice, clean and worth what I paid. No continental breakfast, but a Perkins Restaurant right across the parking lot and another bar/restaurant next door also, a sports bar called the Page.
Staff was very nice and friendly.
A 4 1/2 rating.

Room Tip: Get a room towards the back of the motel, but not all the way back because of the elevator.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
lbryan, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Angus Inn, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your positive feedback. I hope the next time you are in Great Bend you can stay with us again. We are currently working on several improvements to make your next stay even better...like exterior remodeling and an elevator installation!

Again, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I will pass your experience on to our employees.

Lacey Bryan
NW Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I stayed at this hotel June 24 - 28, June 2012.

Upon checkin, I was greeted by a friendly clerk, who thanked me for being a Diamond Elite BW Rewards member. I went to my room, and was pleasantly surprised.

The room looked like it had been renovated recently. The bed was extremely nice! It was great to sleep on, The room had two chairs, desk, mini fridge, microwave, and flat screen tv. Lighting was good when all lights were on.

My room was directly across from the indoor pool / hot tub. The pool area was kept very clean and well maintained. Awesome!

My complaint about this hotel is that they do not offer a free breakfast for its guests. A restraunt across the parking lot (Perkins), did offer a 10% discount, if you showed your roomkey. If breakfast was provided, I would have given this property five circles!

I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room near the pool.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
lbryan, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Angus Inn, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you for your comments and feedback . We appreciate hearing from our guests and always use your information to help make our guest's stay better. We have a dedicated staff and owner that take pride in taking excellent care of the property.

We are currently working on another upgrade to the exterior of the hotel and just yesterday started our elevator installation project. We hope to see you again soon so you can contnue to enjoy our property and our upgrades!

Thanks, again, for staying with us.

Lacey Bryan
Best Western Angus Inn
marietta GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

everything was very nice about this hotel, except that it did not have a breakfast provided, somewhat unusual for a best western, You did get 10% off at the Perkins restaraunt next door with room key however.

Nice large rooms with newer furnishings
fridge and microwave in the room
comfortable beds
good wifi signal
rooms and the property itself were clean and well kept
indoor pool was clean and a nice temperature
large gameroom area was great for kids to run around and play in
very affordable compared with comfort inn - the only other hotel in town at the same star level
lots of eating choices very close by

the only negatives are no breakfast and a bit of road noise

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Shawnee Mission, KS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Nice updated clean room for a very good price. Was headed for Dodge City but the decent hotels there were all over $120 so I stopped in Great Bend instead. Would stay again anytime.

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stayed one night during a recent business trip. The staff were courteous, and the property quality was better than most BW locations. The room was quite spacious and comfortable. I was annoyed by the level of noise. My room was above the large, indoor common area. This area includes a ping pong table and numerous arcade games. Though the table tennis was pretty loud, whenever anyone played the mini-basketball game it sounded like I was at a STOMP concert. Decent hotel, and I'd recommend it for families.

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

We stayed here with a large group. Our rooms were very clean and the beds were comfortable. Stairs are the only way to the second floor rooms. They have washers & dryers on site. They have an indoor pool and lots of tables and chairs in the atrium area. They don't have a restaurant onsite, but there is a Perkins just across the parking lot where we ate breakfast.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN Angus Inn? Share your experiences!