“good choice - but no breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Great Bend
marietta GA
“good choice - but no breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

everything was very nice about this hotel, except that it did not have a breakfast provided, somewhat unusual for a best western, You did get 10% off at the Perkins restaraunt next door with room key however.

Nice large rooms with newer furnishings
fridge and microwave in the room
comfortable beds
good wifi signal
rooms and the property itself were clean and well kept
indoor pool was clean and a nice temperature
large gameroom area was great for kids to run around and play in
very affordable compared with comfort inn - the only other hotel in town at the same star level
lots of eating choices very close by

the only negatives are no breakfast and a bit of road noise

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Shawnee Mission, KS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Nice updated clean room for a very good price. Was headed for Dodge City but the decent hotels there were all over $120 so I stopped in Great Bend instead. Would stay again anytime.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stayed one night during a recent business trip. The staff were courteous, and the property quality was better than most BW locations. The room was quite spacious and comfortable. I was annoyed by the level of noise. My room was above the large, indoor common area. This area includes a ping pong table and numerous arcade games. Though the table tennis was pretty loud, whenever anyone played the mini-basketball game it sounded like I was at a STOMP concert. Decent hotel, and I'd recommend it for families.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

We stayed here with a large group. Our rooms were very clean and the beds were comfortable. Stairs are the only way to the second floor rooms. They have washers & dryers on site. They have an indoor pool and lots of tables and chairs in the atrium area. They don't have a restaurant onsite, but there is a Perkins just across the parking lot where we ate breakfast.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Fort Dodge, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

We stayed at the Angus Inn based on it's #1 ranking and the overall positive tone of the reviews. What a disappointment! We arrived on a Friday evening after 490 wind blown miles looking forward to a relaxing night. One of the first things that greeted us was a sign that the pool and hot tub were closed for maintenance. Not a good start.The front desk person on duty told us "you must have booked on the internet because we told everyone that booked direct". Apparently excuse us for booking on the internet. Other properties often post advisories at their web site. Why not here? Secondly, when we asked if it was possible to get a first floor room you'd have thought we were asking for a suite for two nights free. While we might have had questions bout the area neither my wife nor I were interested in asking the front desk for information. This attitude carried over to when we checked out on Sunday morning. The staff person on duty printed the receipt, said "sign here" and "here's your copy". No "thanks for staying", "how was your stay" or any other acknowledgement. Both arriving and departing neither staff member never even thought of standing up, both remained seated. Customer service just didn't exist.
The room itself was satisfactory. Although a bit dark the furniture was new as was the TV. There were two upholstered swivel rockers around a small table. They seemed a bit dated. The room had both an interior hall doorway as well as a patio door opening onto an atrium area. The room was very quiet and the bed comfortable. The bath was large but somewhat unusual. Ceramic type tile on the floor and walls, as well as the sink area. The tub was jetted type tub with a shower head. There wasn't a shower curtain. The tub was high so if you have any joint problems or balance problems you might have problems with entry or exit. I don't recall any grab bars available.
Wireless internet worked well but it seemed we had to agree to terms every time we logged in on Saturday.
The Hotel property probably rated a C+. Customer service, at least for this weekend rated a D.

Room Tip: If traveling with family might want to check on bathroom tub style for use with kids.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
lbryan, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Angus Inn, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Thank you for your review of our property. Without feedback like this, I cannot make my property better. I also responded to your other survey you filled out on bwfeedback.com regarding your stay with us. I apologize that you didn't experience superior customer service during your stay with us. I hope that you did see at check in that the sign you were speaking of regarding the pool area being closed also stated that the hot tub was reopening at 5pm on the day you checked in and the pool was opening at 12 noon the day following your check in. There is never a good time to do pool maintenance and we wish we could accommodate everyone, however my staff worked extra hard to get the pool open for that busy weekend. Regarding your ground floor request, we did not see a ground floor request on your reservation. We had a full house that weekend you were staying, and try our very best to get everyone where they would like to be. It is very hard to squeeze a ground floor request in at the very last minute, however, I am glad that the front desk found you one. You actually got to stay in our old honeymoon suite which is like our other deluxe kings, however it still has the hot tub and shower in the bathroom, not a standard tub like the rest of our kings.
All that being said, there is still no excuse for the poor customer service you experienced while you were here. I hope you get the chance to try us again. I would be happy to personally make your reservation and honor all your requests when blocking your room in advance. Please understand that this is not the way we normally do business and not the way I have trained my staff. I have researched who checked you in and out and will refresh their memory on my expectations. As stated in my other email to you, I gave you a 50% discount on your stay and have since creditied that to your card. Thank you again for your feedback.
Sincerely, Lacey Bryan, General Manager
great bend, ks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

Friendly and helpful counter staff.
Cleaning staff has been very good and have done a thorough job cleaning. Also they have been conscious of my work zone within the room.
Good restaurants next door (Perkins and The Page).
Would recommend this property. Best in the area!

Room Tip: rooms facing the north may be a little quieter.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dodge City, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

one of the best kept motels I have stayed in. Very clean with good sized rooms. Good water pressure in the showers and shower heads are high enough so I don't hit my head. Close to a variety of restaurants. I stay for business and have plenty of space and tables for my Computers and printer.

Room Tip: I like the room you can park right in front of for easy loading and unloading.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to BEST WESTERN Angus Inn? Share your experiences!