“Consistently Great Food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Valrico, Florida
“Consistently Great Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have been eating at the different Strouds locations for about 30 years. I moved out of KC 15 years ago, but we always have to go there when we visit. My son and husband love the chicken; my daughter and I, the chicken fried steak. Mashed potatoes and gravy are perfect, as are the cinnamon rolls. Service is typically good, although a wait for a table is not unusual. Not as nice of an atmosphere as the Strouds up north, but the food is just as good.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri
“Location has changed, but not the great quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We have had occasion to be in the Fairway, Kansas area during lunch, and visited the Stroud's Chicken location in Fairway. It does not have the old building with tilted floors like they had a 75th & Troost in Kansas City for many decades, but the food is still family style, and fantastic. Their real mashed potatoes, and cream gravy is still the same. The green beans cooked with bacon is great, (I don't like green beans, but I love these). We had a luncheon special of chicken fried chicken. It seems to be an entire large chicken breast covered with the same batter as Stroud's pan fried chicken. The portion size usually requires a carry out box. The only problem is getting a seat during lunch because of popularity. If you are near Stroud's be sure to try it, and I guarantee you will be back.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Just like I remembered”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I were in Kansas City visiting family and I wanted to take him to a restaurant that I grew up with. "Back in the day" Stroud's was located by an underpass, with waitresses who were (then) old enough to be my grandmother. Waiting for pan-fried chicken when I was a kid seemed like an eternity. And my mom loves chicken livers and gizzards -- something not readily available even then.
Enough nostalgia. Stroud's is still as good as I remember. And my husband(a native Californian) is now a convert. The food is family style -- and you'd better have a big family. The servings are generous. The wait staff is younger -- or am I older???-- but very friendly and attentive.
Just wish we had tried it earlier in our trip. If so, we'd have gone a second time.

Panama City, Florida
“Good chicken, great sides”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

We didn't have to wait long. The chicken was done well with nice seasonings. Our favorite part were some of the sides like the green beans. Our kids loved it too.

• Visited July 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Best fried chicken EVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Stroud's is known throughout Kansas City for their fried chicken, so we decided to give it a try when I went to visit family. We were certainly not disappointed. I had been craving fried chicken for quite a while was really looking forward to trying theirs. We were certainly not disappointed! The fried chicken is perfectly seasoned and cooked and is served family style with mashed potatoes, green beans and cinnamon rolls. My only complaints was that the green beans had pork in them, and the cinnamon rolls could have used more cinnamon. The chicken was excellent and well worth the visit.

• Visited May 2012