“Needs updating!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of La Quinta Inn & Suites Emporia

La Quinta Inn & Suites Emporia
You added La Quinta Inn & Suites Emporia to your Saves list
La Quinta Inn & Suites Emporia
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2930 Eaglecrest Drive, Emporia, KS 66801 (Formerly Fairfield Inn Emporia)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Emporia
“Needs updating!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in serious need of updates. The bathtub was nasty, the decor was lacking, the carpet looked dirty and outdated, and the bed appeared to be missing box springs. The beds were comfortable and they clearly tried to keep the hotel clean, but it is in such need of fixing up that it doesn't look or feel clean. . Another issue is that we couldn't connect to the wi-fi. Also, when we came back from supper the front desk person (who was very friendly) was smoking right outside the front door. Not a great welcome! The location is great. There are plenty of good restaurants within walking distance. However, even with the good location, I would probably not stay here again

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Lincoln, Nebraska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I always thought Fairfield Inns had a good reputation, but I was really disappointed in this one. The carpet and bathroom were filthy---there was black soap scum in the tub and in the corners of the shower; black film on what was supposed to be white tile on the bathroom floor; and worst of all, other people's hair on the floor, toilet, bathroom counter, and tub when we first entered our room! Breakfast bar was carbs and pre-packaged items. My back was killing me after two nights, as the mattresses were basically 6 inches of unsupported foam on box springs. I wish we had stayed at the neighboring Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
st.louis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I agree that this is a Fairfield that is need of updating. I have stayed in several various Marriott hotels and more specifically Fairfields. This is definitly one that I didn't even stay. I checked out shortly after checking into the hotel. It is alarming when as a single female traveling I go to check into a hotel and there is a front door that locks. There is a limited selection in Emporia for a quality hotel stay. When you walk into the front entry is is dark and it seems that lights are not kept on. Not sure if this is for cost cutting or not??? The front desk clerk was nice not overly friendly but not rude either. I had a room on the 3rd floor. I could smell the pool all the way up on the 3rd floor. When I went into the room it smelled mildewy. I then noticed that the a/c leaks and there was a plastic container sitting under the a/c and it was full. There is mold and dirt in the container that catches the water. The carpeting was damp around the container as well. I was there for 30 min and was already getting a headache. I called the front desk and checked out and went next door to the Holiday Inn. I appreciate that the clerk didn't argue w/me wanting to check out but she didn't seem to care either. She said she would let maint. know but I was thinking you already know about the problem b/c there is a plastic container under the unit to catch the water. I read the prior reviews about the hotel needing updates and I agree. I would not stay at this location again. I will stay at other select Fairfield Inns. The one in Hutchinson, KS is only 3 or 4 yrs old and is in great condition. Maybe if it was updated I would stay at this location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Raytown, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had to stay here twice in two months for family funerals. We appreciate the special rate they offered for funerals.

Here is what we found.

The room we had on the second floor was dirty and dark. The bathtub looked like it had been painted over 2-3 times. The room really needed to be renovated. For what we needed it for it was ok and we could live with it.

The second stay we had a room on the 3rd floor. this room was 100% better!!! It almost seemed like a new room!!! The cable was not working in our room. when I went to the desk to ask about it, the clerk on that evening said that room ALWAYS has problems and they cannot get it fixed. She said there were 3 rooms that the cable didn't work right. I mentioned this conversation the next morning and was told that wasn't true. They got someone in to fix it and the cable worked that night.

The staff was VERY accomidating do make us comfortable (extra pillows, blankets and a footstool) We really appreciate that.

Breakfast was good and had a lot of choice. The only problem is that people were tripping over each other because there isn't a lot of room to move around.

A couple of the staff members were a bit snotty and had attitudes. They made it a little rough.

But, all in all, a great place to stay. Can't wait to stay there again (after renovations are begun and completed). Located near a LOT of food choices.

Room Tip: Stay on the 3rd floor. Avoid rooms right above the pool on the second floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hays, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed here as part of a group and found the tub to be disgustingly dirty and moldy so much that my wife would not take a bath and used flipflops to take a shower. The rest of the room was ok but was just missing the touch that made you feel that the room had been cleaned. The breakfast bar was good in that it had breakfast sandwiches that could be warmed up on top of the normal hotel breakfast items.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cypress, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I am giving this hotel an overall rating of four, in the context of understanding this is a budget accommodation.

The hotel has a convenient location right off I-35 and just a few miles from the Kansas Turnpike (I-335). There are several restaurants in various price ranges, including a Starbucks and a McDonald's, as well as a steakhouse, in easy walking distance. There is also a Wal-Mart in easy walking distance for emergency trip purchases / replenishing of supplies.

The rooms are small, basic and clean. The "desk" is really a table that seats two. Kind of hard to spread out and do work. Wi-fi is free and worked fine. There is no microwave or refrigerator in the room. The bathroom was reasonably sized and clean and sufficiently stocked. Heating and ventilation worked OK, but took a bit of doing to adjust temperature. Noise from outside the room was not an issue.

Signs outside the room that this is a budget hotel include the very small seating area for breakfast, and the location of an ice machine and vending only on the first floor. The hotel does have a "business center" and a pool.

I had several problems with housekeeping / maintenance. When I arrived at my room, the door was not locked closed. As it turns out there were no problems, but had I been an unaccompanied female, I might have gone back to the front desk to ask for a different room, or for staff to inspect the room before I entered. In reality, staff inspecting the room before I used it would have been a good idea from a different dimension. The desk / table lamp, the bedside lamp and the clock were all unplugged when I arrived. I plugged all of these in and set the time on the clock, but what is so hard about housekeeping / maintenance making sure everything is plugged in and working BEFORE they leave the room? I mentioned these issues at checkout and was told "OK, I will tell housekeeping," but did not get an apology.

I found the front desk staff (different people at check in and check out) to be efficient, but not overly friendly or cheerful.

All that said, this is a very reasonably priced budget hotel with easy freeway access, and the overall stay met my expectations.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Bayside, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed here 4 days for a convention and had never stayed in a Fairfield Inn although I am a Marriott Gold Elite member. I was pleased with the Quality for the price. The staff was polite and responsive. The room always clean and the Air conditioning was great in the 95-100 temps.
the only negative was the breakfast selection.

Room Tip: I paid $2 extra for the Executive King with Mini fridge. Larger room well worth it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Emporia? Share your experiences!