“Very unpleasant” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 13 hotels in Emporia
Tomah, Wisconsin
“Very unpleasant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

This was the worst choice hotel I stayed at. I am a Diamond member with over 50 stays with this chain. First room someone was in it, next room unmade bed, 3 rd room was ok. After driving over 600 miles was not going to jump back in car.

I hope this was just bad timing on my part, but with poor service and no comments on problems not happy.

Room Tip: Other options in Emporia, KS I would choose one of them.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Morgan B, Manager at Comfort Inn Emporia, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Firstly, I would like to take this time and thank you for writing a review. Writing a review (good or bad) allows me to get a guest point of view on how well the hotel is doing. I am deeply troubled you did not have a pleasant stay. We do strive to meet every person's standards and I am concerned you were not able to see us at our best. On behalf of the Emporia Comfort Inn, we do apologize and I hope you are able to give us another chance to let us show you just how great of a hotel we are. Providing a comfortable, safe and friendly place to stay for each guest is the upmost importance and we will meet that request.

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Stayed at the Comfort Inn when travelling between Milwaukee, WI and Fort Worth, TX. Checked in about 11:30 pm and left out by 8 am. Check-in was easy and the room was clean. Breakfast in the morning was very limited but fresh coffee and a pastry. Overall an okay value for a drive-by near the interstate. The Toll way through Wichita begins about 2 mile up the road so this is a convenient place to stop late at night when Wichita is just too far to go.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time and writing a review for us! Writing these reviews lets me know how we can improve, and that my staff are making sure every single person had a pleasant stay. Our location may be difficult for some people to find and I am pleased to hear you did not have an issue and it was convenient for your stay. I look forward to providing any hospitality needs you and your family may have!

Fishers, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I never knew this motel tucked back off the hwy. I stayed 1 night and had a good nights sleep. Breakfast was good in the morning, everything was fresh. I agree with the other reviews that the window treatments in the hallways are put together poorly. I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. We strive to meet everyone's standards and I am please to hear that you had a pleasant stay. By writing reviews, it gives me the chance to see how we can improve. I would like you to know we are currently getting renovated so hopefully when you stay again you will be able to see just how much we care at the Emporia Comfort Inn.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

The manager Baker told me that the smoke smell was coming from one of two rooms and smelling up the hallway. So they charged me $150 and moved me rooms. The new room smelled of mildew bad.now there were two cameras behind the desk and at the end of hall by the corridor with the ice and snack machines. Although i am a smoker they could have checked anyone of the cameras to see me leaving the building for smoke breaks and when i asked them to Ms. Baker refused. When i started asking questions the next day i itroduced myself by my work title. Private Investigator Michelle Bigger i even handed my card which was refused as well. After a few questions ms. Baker no longer answered questions so i politely said thanks and walked outside where i was approached by a maid. She said her name was tracy but i think her name was caroline the very same maid who was supposed to clean my room the day i was charged for a cleaning. To be perfectly honest all they did was strip the room and air it out overnight. The security was lacking to say the least. You could get into one side door without a key while the otherone you couldnt get into at all. The floors were warped. Trees up against ac units outside and valances that looked like they were thrown together. The inn seemed to be more concerned with outward appearances than the maintenance that needed done. I had one more night to stay when the staff attitudes changed instead of helpful with smiles i received glares and cold shoulders so needless to say after loosing $230 and very rudely treated i will not be staying at the comfort inn in emporia again.

• Stayed August 2013
Morgan B, Manager at Comfort Inn Emporia, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
I would like to apologize that you did not feel safe at the Emporia Comfort Inn. I would like to take this time to clear a few things up. Our security system is up and running and was never down. We do lock the doors at night to ensure our guest safety. I am troubled that there seems to be a misunderstanding. Regardless if you went outside or not, (I am sure you did) the hotel room was still too strong for me to not address the issue. We found ashes in the room and since the other rooms next were complaining of smelling smoke, we had to deep clean to room. Be assure we did a thorough clean which include carpet shampooing. For my own and my staff safety, unless your a police officer we do not answer any questions about how the hotel is ran. Please be assure that we did a thorough deep clean in order to make sure the smell of smoke is not present anymore. We are in the process of getting a remodle. Again I would like to take time to apologize for any inconveniences you experienced at the Emporia Comfort Inn.
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We had a hotel coupon book and stopped at this hotel due to the price and location off the interstate before the toll. The front desk person was very friendly and helpful upon check in. The room was clean and had a refrigerator, and we had no problems accessing the internet. The beds were very comfortable and we had lots of good pillows. We enjoyed the indoor heated pool. The breakfast room was small and my scrambled eggs were cool.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Morgan B, General Manager at Comfort Inn Emporia, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing the Emporia Comfort Inn. We do pride ourselves on our great service and I am very please to hear you had a wonderful stay with us! Feel free to mention this review at your next stay and you can receive a 10% discount! Once again thank you so much for staying with us!
Stockton, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Average place with great staff. It was a super busy State Basketball weekend and every person I came in contact with was helpful & kind even though you could see a bit of stress in their face. Some of the interior is cobbled together and curtains in the hallway windows have seen better days but did not affect my stay. Everything was clean and I slept well. Clean room, great staff and good sleep!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Nunda, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Well, it was an interesting stay. My husband and I were here for one night, on a cross country trip. I will start with the positives. We did have a good night's sleep here. The bed was comfortable, and the room was clean. The staff was competent and friendly. There were enough electrical outlets in the bedroom.

The cons: As other reviewers have stated, there was no elevator. Odd. There was supposedly wireless Internet throughout the hotel, but the only place it worked was in the lobby, not in our room. We had no signal at all, which was especially inconvenient because bad weather was predicted, and we needed to plan our next day's route. The signal was very weak even in the breakfast area.

The worst part of this stay was the bathroom. The sink and counter is in the bedroom. Nothing in the bathroom but the shower and toilet, and a wire rack over the toilet (ick) where the towels were hung. The towels were small and thin, and there was absolutely no place to even put down your glasses in the bathroom except on the back of the toilet (again, ick.)
The shower rod was broken, and was propped up, maybe by a previous guest, with a folded newspaper. There was no electric outlet in the bathroom.

The hair dryer, in the bedroom, had a switch that had to be held down to run the dryer. Really? Does anyone walk away and leave a hair dryer running?

Breakfast was just ok. Eggs were cold and dried out, but the staff did replenish them before we left.

This wasn't an awful stay, but we won't be back. Some TLC is needed here.

Stayed March 2013

Been to Comfort Inn Emporia? Share your experiences!