“Expected More” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 17 Attractions in Dodge City
Type: History Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore the Old West at this museum dedicated to preserving the history of Dodge City, through exhibits, audiovisual programs and, in the summer, stagecoach rides and mock gunfights.
Tucson, Arizona
28 attraction reviews
“Expected More”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We came here on Labor Day weekend to enjoy the "Old West".

The Boot Hill Cemetery was a huge disappointment. there were few graves, they were poorly documented and the area just seemed to be run down. I guess I expected it to be more like Tombstone. There's a small museum near Boot Hill that made up for the walk up there.

I thought the town mock up with all the various stores and shops was well done and it represented the period well.

The two minute Gunfight was was not worth finding a chair for and paying an American Indian so I could have my picture taken with him was not why I was here.

Visited September 2013

Uptown Sedona
“Unforunate dissapointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I guess I had my hopes on viewing our history and was told the main buildings had been burned down in 1970. Of which the reminder of our history is in a replica of facade buildings, all of which are in the wrong area..The ladies at the museum/gift shop were great, but I had my heart set on re-enactments and fun in the west...Bummer!

Yukon, Oklahoma, United States
15 attraction reviews
“Don't worry about seeing the gun fight.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

The museum was cool. It had lots of nice artifacts. And their air conditioning was working really well so that was nice. The gun fight you could not hear the people at all. They had no microphones so we have no idea what they were saying. Besides that we are glad we went.

Downers Grove, Illinois
42 attraction reviews
“Hmmm Yes & No”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I guess we should have read in depth about Boot Hill and Dodge and we would have known what to expect. Arriving in Dodge we expected something more along the lines of Tortilla Flats, Tombstone or Deadwood, an authetic western town. Nope, not this time. Dodge is a run down, working man's town, not a historical or true tourist area. Since we drove two hours out of our way (knock this off the bucket list) we decided to pay $10 and enter the replica western town. Being late August they were running on a skeleton crew and the "gun-fight" was a 2 minute disappointment. But I do believe they did the best they could. The original western town was burned therefore the replica which is just a bunch of studio fronts. However, the collections in the musuems were well displayed, full of history and interesting. We were disappointed it wasn't what we were hoping but we still enjoyed our time there. However, I would only recommend if you are in the area; I would never advise anyone to drive out of their way. We left and headed for Wichita immediately after our visit and lunch.,,,yes, we got out of Dodge.

Visited August 2013
“Cowtown in Wichita is better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We live in Wichita, KS & have the privilege of having Cowtown where you can actually walk into the individual buildings & though certain things are roped off you can see in detail how life was lived long ago. This was not at all the case for The Boot Hill Museum. It was more like a Universal Studios set up staged area where you walk along the outside strip of a row of different buildings w/ set up inside & away from public to view through windows. You walk through gift shop where everything is set up to get your money, as expected w/ tourists places. It was just not what we expected after being able to tour a real Cow Town. I now appreciate more of what we have right where we live.