“Excellent experience” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Japanese, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Description: KOBE is Wichita's original and most authentic Japanese Steak House, first opened in 1980. Skilled Teppanyaki chefs will artfully prepare your complete meal at your Hibachi table to your specifications as they entertain with skills and humor. KOBE is a great atmosphere for celebration of all family events such as birthdays and anniversaries with accommodations for parties from 8 to 40KOBE offers a complete Japanese Teppanyaki dining experience. Your Kobe dinner includes our savory Japanese clear soup, crisp house salad with ginger vinaigrette dressing and a succulent shrimp appetizer and each order is prepared at your Teppanyaki table by your own personal chef with an accompaniment of hibachi vegetables, steamed rice, hot green tea, and a sherbet dessert.
Wichita
“Excellent experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Delicious food and a very entertaining "floor show" from the chef, as he prepares your food right in front of you. The main course portions aren't all that large, but the fried rice is so scrumptious, you'll find yourself unable to stop eating it, and needing less of the main course. For people who are more interested in sharing a personable evening with friends or family, I would not suggest going to Kobe, because part of what you're paying for is the chef's show and it would be rude to not pay him attention, as was my experience with two couples who shared our table when I went on my birthday. Apart from that it was a wonderful experience.

Visited December 2012

68% Recommend
Kansas
“Not worth the money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This was my first visit to this particular Kobe's, even though I've been to others. First of all - we had reservations, yet had to wait for the other party to arrive and for Kobe's to clear a table before we could be seated (What's the use of a reservation?). The "show" was very lacking - had a few tricks here and there, but mostly we sat and watched him cook our food. One member of our party ordered a beer; however, the beer they served was set to expire the next day. When he asked for another, they told him all of them were expired or expiring. Expired beer? Really? The steak was not cooked as ordered and lacked flavor. The chicken was dry. Then to top it all off, I had a Groupon coupon (which i had just received and as I said I had never been there before) which they told me had already been used. How can that happen? So needless to say lost money on that deal! I'm sorry to sound picky, but for the price they charge (average $30) I expect better food/service. There are other Japanese Steak Houses in Wichita that can/will do much better - i will not go back to this Kobe's.

Visited September 2012
kskid5, Owner at Kobe Steak House of Japan, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to respond with your concerns about our restaurant. I am saddened that we did not meet your expectations.

KOBE makes every effort to meet all reservation times, however we are sometimes at the mercy of parties that are late in arrival. The late arrival of the other party made your 10 minute wait necessary to fill the table as is customary in all hibachi style restaurants.

I apologize that your chef, food, and drink was not up to your expectations. Shawn is an experienced chef and it is not normal for him to get poor reviews. As always any entree that is not up to your specifications would have been immediately redone at your request. At KOBE you are "in the kitchen". The beer being one day from expiration is a rotation problem which I have addressed with the bar staff, but is important that no expired beer was served.

I investigated your Groupon concerns and found that you had purchased two coupons, #3211-pf and #3212-pf. According to Groupon records, from scans of the coupons, #3211-pf that you presented had been used. #3212-pf remains unused and can be used in the future. In an effort to be fair the decision was made to refund you only the cost ($15) and not the face value ($30) of the previously used coupon.

Again I apologize that your experience was not up to your expectations and invite you to revisit.

Jim H., President
Winfield, Kansas
“Very entertaining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Everyone was very personable.Geat service and the food was good. The food was a little expensive for what it was.

Visited August 2012
Wichita, Kansas
“GREAT food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

HUGE portions, I recomend sharing. We had a great chef that was very funny. Made for a great evening

Visited July 2012
Orléans, Centre, France
“a famous Xmas Eve !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

I ate here for Christmas Eve with my girlfriend and her family : that was a really nice diner. Hostesses were friendly (one tried to speak french. That was cute, I appreciated that), and the service was good. Our chief was amazing : I really enjoyed the show and the meal....mmmmm, so tasty. It's a bit expensive, but worth it.

• Visited December 2011