“Aussies on a US road trip” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Colby
south australia
“Aussies on a US road trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Hi-Express in Colby is a great place to stay. Rooms are very clean and the usual Hi-Ex standard. Breakfast Ok. The only downside to staying just off the interstate is that there are no bars or resturaunts that you can easily walk to. We did walk to one but quite a hike. Otherwise very good.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Hutchinson, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

It had been 2 years since we stayed at this hotel, so I was excited when I opened the door to a beautifully redecorated room. It was clean and comfortable. The TV screen was great quality. Lots of desktop space. Comfortable reading chair with light. Something else that was AWESOME was the individual bending small but powerful light that was on each side of the headboard. I have never seen anything like these in any hotel room!! GREAT JOB!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

After nearly five hours on I-70, and the clock approaching 11:30, I was tired and weary. Three minutes after exiting the interstate, I opened the door to a clean, comfortable guest room. The check-in was remarkably efficient. The front desk associate had the key card ready, and with one swipe of the credit card, I was on my way. If only every check-in was this efficient.

The room appeared to be recently renovated. After having stayed at several mundane Holiday Inns, I was pleasantly startled upon entering the room. I immediately felt relaxed, as the soft lighting and cool brown walls produced a soothing vibe. There is abundant space for work and relaxation. Regarding the former, the workspace was more than sufficient, and the wireless internet connection was swift. The oversized flat-screen television included a multitude of channels, more than the vast majority of hotels.

The complimentary breakfast reminded me of two things – 1) do not be fooled by the calming feel of the rooms – this is still a Holiday Inn, and 2) you get what you pay for. When I arrived around 7:30 the spread had been reduced to a handful of items. In this case, there were a few pastries and cereal – continental fare. As a result, I opted to stop at the nearby McDonald’s before heading westbound.

Finally, the hotel welcomes pets for a very reasonable $25 fee. The surrounding area is a sea of concrete, so it is not the most pet-friendly.

If you’re looking for a restful evening, this is a sound choice. But save a few dollars for breakfast.

Pros: Soothing vibe in recently renovated guest rooms, abundant space for work and relaxation

Cons: Save a few dollars for breakfast - only a handful of options by 7:30

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

The newly renovated rooms are a pleasure to visit. Calm colors and comfort greeted us in our late night or should I say early morning - 2 am check in.

The normal breakfast buffet greeted us in the morning which was helpful in getting us ready to continue our trip.

Room Tip: Check to see if all the renovations are done if you are needing the pool or other services. Our roo...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

We stayed one night here on our way back from Denver. The hotel is undergoing renovation, so the first floor rooms are shut off. However, the room we had was beautiful. The decor has been updated and the bed was very nice. We didn't use any of the facilities, but this is not a bad place to spend the night while you are on the road.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

When driving across country, I much prefer simple, comfortable, "no overhead" motels. I am greatly impressed with the several remodeled Holiday Inn Expresses I have visited over the past year. The unit in Colby seems to be in the midst of its renovation. Our room was a "new" one, and it was really very nice. Up to date, chic decor, big TV, convenient features.

This is not an elegant hotel, but it is super for a one-night stopover.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

I had stayed here several times before so I looked forward to the stop after a long days drive.
It was Hot and Late and I just wanted to eat and sleep.
I checked in and went to my room and was stunned at how disgusting it was,even on the surface!
The room smelled and there was water running in the bathroom that would not stop. The air barely worked and the place just felt dirty.
I went downstairs and asked for another room and was told they were all taken so I said thanks for the try but I will be staying somewhere else,I will not pay $120.00 for this room.
I was told that I would be paying whether I stayed or not and after arguing about it with the clerk I just left and went to the new Sleep Inn next door promising to settle it with my credit card company if I had to.
Who do they think they are?

Room Tip: Go Next Door
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
pennyjo8, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colby, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
Thank you for taking time to post your experience. I do apologize that your August stay was not up to standard. I am pleased to tell you that since then our 3rd floor has been completely remodeled and we are currently remodeling the remaining hotel. If you return to Colby, please come and check out our newly remodeled rooms......we are confident that you will pleased!

Been to Holiday Inn Express Colby? Share your experiences!