“Don't Miss This---Blew us Away” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 3 Attractions in Colby
Type: History Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: This complex features sod houses which are open for touring.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
13 attraction reviews
“Don't Miss This---Blew us Away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

What a gem out in western Kansas just off I70.. Be sure to stop by---wonderful grounds to walk around and see all the elements of Kansas farm life in the 19th and early 20th centuries. The museum has some incredible displays that you don't want to miss. Working barn with sheep.
We were really enthralled by our visit.

Visited March 2012

Wilmington, North Carolina
3 attraction reviews
“Much better than I expected”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

I really enjoyed this museum. There are 2 parts to it, indoors and outdoors. The outdoor part was my favorite with a wonderfully decorated 1930's house that really reminded me of my grandmother's home, the largest barn in Kansas, a little church, a one-room schoolhouse, a sod house, and a windmill. There are interesting things written about each of them and plenty of artifacts, furnishings, etc.
Inside is an amazing collection of things from A to Z. My favorite were all the beautiful glassware and dishes of every kind imaginable. Also some great antique furniture, plus stamps, coins, toys, dolls, military uniforms, wedding clothes from across the years, political buttons, etc. It was eclectic and interesting. Good gift shop too, with more than just the usual museum gift shop stuff. Tons of books. I'd recommend this museum and hope to return with my family. Was 5 bucks to enter. Well worth it.

Visited August 2011
Hillsboro, Illinois
33 attraction reviews
“Good place to stop.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stopped here on our way home from Colorado. We hit several museums on our trip. This one was fun and put the early life on the plains in perspective. Reading the stories of the early settlers coming from northern Europe was humbling. Seeing the largest barn in Kansas and seeing the pictures of it being moved in one piece was impressive!

Visited July 2011
Ashland, KY
9 attraction reviews
“a worthwhile stop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2005

Very nice people here, a good museum with a full complement of buildings from various eras of prarie life. We stopped on our way out to Denver, it's right off I-70. If you enjoy museums and cultural exhibits, stop and take a look, it took us about an hour and a half.