“Start Exercising Now” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Ancient Ruins, Cultural
New York City, New York
“Start Exercising Now”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2014 NEW

I recommend being fit before trying out the hike to La Ciudad Perdida. It was pretty intense, and I hike all the time. The terrain is just a bit brutal, and the trails aren't groomed like they are in other parts of the world. Miguel was a great guide. Very friendly. Be ready to be up at 4:30am to start your day though!

The views were breathtaking. Was quite the adventure. Oh, and bring money! That was something I didn't realize. There are little stores with beer, soda, snacks along the way. I wish I had known that beforehand. A beer after a long day of hiking was really worth it.

Visited November 2014

Sydney, Australia
“Highlight of my time in Colombia!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2014 NEW

Completed the treck recently and really really enjoyed it! The treck itself is quite difficult but doable if you are in relatively good health!!

The scenery is absolutely incredible and I was very impressed with the tour! I went with Expotur, the tour was really well organised, the food was really plentiful and absolutely delicious, I also highly reccomend Jhon as a guide, he was amazing, definitely made the tour interesting with all his local knowledge and experience!! If you do it, try and get him as a guide!!

I would recommend taking plenty of plastic bags because if it rains everything gets wet and nothing dries overnight!

Well worth the effort!!

Bogota, Colombia
“Tough trek but well worth! I dont recommend going with Wiwa Tours”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2014

It is a challenging and tough trek, but well worth the effort. The hikes are long and with many ups and downs. We didnt have a good experience with the operator we chose. We went with Wiwa Tours with a guide named Gabriel (Gabo). In my group from the first day there was a person with knee problems that delayed the whole group. The guide took care of her and the rest of the group was supposed to go with the second guide, who was the brother of Gabo, a boy of 17 years, inexperienced and immature to lead a group. He walked very fast and didn’t wait for the last people in the group. We got lost and by night because of the lack of organization of the guide. We were scared and worried. When we feel lost, we went back to a camp that we had seen on the road. It was a risky situation with a high probability of being lost by night in the jungle with dangerous animals.
It is not an easy trek so the experience and training of the guides is very important. Ours, did not carry flashlights or first aid kit. Also, prior to the trip I had requested a guide who was recommended to me. The agency confirmed that he was going with us, but when we got to the agency the day of the trip, the guide was different and they didn’t give any explanation of the change. Initially we booked the five days tour, but the guide was not clear with the difference between the 4 or 5 days plan; so they were going to leave us a full day at a camp, therefore, we decided to do it in four days. Many inefficiency and disorder from Wiwa Tours. Besides that, the program said that we would be able to interact with the Mamo, which is not true, that only happens if you are lucky to meet him.

Madrid, Spain
“Fantastic Trek to Lost City, love it!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2014

Had a fantastic time in lost city, if you like adventure I completely recommend it, it is very difficult, but the price to get up top and see how good this civilization was and nobody even knows a little bit of them outside Colombia, is priceless. Definitively the best part of it all for my personal experience was when we saw a very big Jaguar crossing the river 50 meters away from us, it was astonishing, we were very lucky considering how few of them are there in the wild specially in this part of Colombia. The guides were simply perfect, they don't talk very well English but they were very nice to us and explained everything very we'll , the food was simply delicious. The best part of them all is leaving technology away from your live for a week, once you go back to civilization you are a complete new person. I would highly recommend it, especially to refresh you're selfs in the rivers near by the camps, the have some very nice rapids and water falls you can get in to!! thanks to Edwin our guide who is simply a fantastic person from the region, and actually his father was one of the first person to ever discover the lost city, he was even kidnaped by guerrilla during the war in Colombia, so you might be absolutely sure that he actually has a complete knowledge on everything that happened here in the past.

Brisbane, Australia
“Tough but amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2014

Did the tour with Jhon from Expotur and he is such a fantastic guide! He had incredible knowledge about the region and its indigenous tribes and he was more than happy to answer any questions we had. Jhon's wife was our cook and she made delicious meals! If you go with Expotur I wouldn't bother taking any snacks of your own - we were very well fed and given fresh fruit and biscuits as regular snacks along the way.

Don't take this trek lightly - if you are not in shape, do not try to do the trek in 4 days. One guy who was clearly not fit or in any kind of shape had to take a mule back to the start after only a day or so of trekking because he could not continue.

Take plenty of good insect repellent - if you apply a few times a day you will be fine. I got no mosquito bites at all but some people with little repellent did get a lot of bites on their legs, etc.

The trek is tough but you will not regret doing it - it was amazing!!! Ask for Jhon as your guide and you will not be disappointed!! (Though keep in mind the guides speak little English - I was lucky because we had a couple of bilingual guys on our tour who could translate everything for us).