“A Dream Come True - Paradise Found” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Las EsQuinas Boutique Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Little Harbour
Las EsQuinas Boutique Bed and Breakfast
You added Las EsQuinas Boutique Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Little Harbour A12640, Anguilla   |
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
“A Dream Come True - Paradise Found”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

This was our sixth trip to Anguilla, and dare I say that it gets better and better with each visit and continues to amaze us. This relatively small and flat island is captivating. It inspires such a love of nature and humanity that I feel compelled to come home and try to capture bits and pieces in words and photographs. We had a truly unforgettable experience on the island, in large part due to discovering Las EsQuinas this trip and meeting villa owner extraordinaire, Robin Ogilvie.

When we visited the island last December, we had recently read about a new boutique bed and breakfast opening in Little Harbour, named Las EsQuinas. Before we departed, we called the owner to take a look on our way to the airport, and it was a breathtaking first impression! However, we had committed with a deposit to stay a week elsewhere during our next Anguilla trip, and given that my husband normally does not enjoy the stereotypical "bed and breakfast" experience in the States and we have grown to love staying on the West End, we ended up adding on only two nights to our original itinerary so we could stay at Las EsQuinas before making the switch to a property on Meads Bay.

After the exquisite two-night experience we had at Las EsQuinas, we soon learned that a short stay there is not enough! Also, if you are combining stays between Las EsQuinas and another property, go to Las EsQuinas last. Otherwise, it feels like a let down to change locations after such a memorable getaway. The best thing I can say about making the move after discovering such tranquility is that it confirmed 1) being directly on the West End is not as important to us as I would have sworn before experiencing Las EsQuinas, and 2) not all bed and breakfasts are created equal, as my hubby absolutely loved it too.

I'm not quite sure where to begin. We watched ourselves (and later saw other guests upon arrival) go through a series of "Wow" moments as you walk through the property. The vistas and sea breezes are truly stunning. The property has been designed to take advantage of trade winds and is perched on a point providing 180+ degree views. The home was designed with separate covered walkways, relaxing nooks, and "walls" that are really doors, so they slide back and disappear. The result is wonderfully spacious; you feel like you are outside even when you are technically "inside" luxurious surroundings. And the way the villa is situated, the ocean breezes keep things cool naturally. (But bedroom air conditioning is available if for some reason you prefer to close up the room while you are sleeping.) The various separate buildings and walkways mean that you have privacy and quiet from the other suites while in your own haven. Unlike various resorts where we have stayed on the island where you can hear people through the walls or housekeeping staff working in adjacent rooms, at Las EsQuinas we slept soundly until we naturally woke up in the morning. The ability to close the hurricane shutters created a dark haven - I slept almost 11 hours straight the first night after our day of travel!

Each guest room reflects a place that the owner, Robin, has lived or traveled. They are named the Mediterranean, Morrocan, Balinese, and Mexican, and each space displays the character of the associated destination. Housekeeping was immaculate during our stay, everything always clean and tidy. The bathrooms are luxurious with natural stone vanities, make-up mirrors, and high quality soaps and shampoo. Reading lights, spacious closets, desks, and private balconies are features found in each guest room. Given your proximity to the sea, the sound of waves, and the fresh air breezes, the private balcony is the perfect place for a relaxing massage therapy experience.

Putting our experience at Las EsQuinas into words is quite a challenge - even for someone as wordy as I can be! The website states, "Part bijou hotel, part sybaritic guesthouse, Las Esquinas defies definition." Quite true! I have never stayed at a property that so eludes traditional descriptions. It has many amenities that one normally finds only at five-star luxury hotels. It has a quiet and private atmosphere that one might typically find only in a private villa. It has the type of quality morning fare reminiscent of boutique small inns or high-end bed and breakfasts. It has the most unique and exquisite furnishings and beautifully curated items you can imagine, and the charm of meeting Robin and fellow guests when your paths cross. On two separate occasions, couples we met there commented about Las EsQuinas being the kind of place you only dream of finding and now that you have discovered it exists, you are faced with an interesting dilemma: you sense a desire to tell your closest friends and family so they too can come and experience such bliss and meet the owner, while on the other hand you feel the tension of keeping it a closely guarded secret so that the masses do not descend and make it impossible to book a future reservation. Each of us made similar comments about returning as soon as possible.

(And my husband, normally easy going but luke warm about accommodations, admonished me today to not describe it using too much detail...you know, leave some things out, so it doesn’t become *too* popular. I gave him the “you-know-I-can’t-do-that” look, and as a compromise I get to write as freely as I want in order to share the love, but we already made future reservations so we can still come when the secret gets out.)

But back to our experience...

In the mornings, breakfast at Las EsQuinas is available during a wide window of time. It is generous and spoiled us. The first morning we enjoyed half a grapefruit and servings from a large bowl of fresh cut fruit. Combined with homemade banana bread (made using the front garden’s bananas), we were more than satisfied and ready to start the day, but then learned breakfast was just beginning! Scrambled eggs with cheese and bacon soon filled our happy bellies. The breakfast exceeded all other offerings we have had on the island. It was like a bountiful homemade spread you would experience at a good friend or family member’s home. (Or perhaps at a villa with a private chef - but here it was already included in your room rate!) It was all served on a gorgeous, unique teak table from Bali overlooking the ocean. And then there was Robin’s signature sweet bread “Rhum Loaf” the next morning with real maple syrup. Think French toast baked and topped with rum and maple syrup. That’s right, rum and maple syrup. A decadent start to the Caribbean morning.

After breakfast our first full day, we chose to stay put and enjoy the property.

There are plenty of cushioned spaces where you can lay outside to sun, read, nap, or simply gawk at all the beauty surrounding you. Should more activity beckon, Robin has a closet with water equipment available for guest use: water noodles, life jackets, snorkel equipment, and even water shoes if you need to borrow a pair! My husband enjoyed kayaking and we both went out snorkeling repeatedly. For Mark, it was like going back to childhood adventures in the water, including one day when he and another guest even tried to catch a few lobsters with gloved hands.

Being mere steps from coral reefs with bright colored fish and laying down on a deserted section of beach while listening to the waves was heavenly.

When it came to other guests at Las EsQuinas, every single couple we met during our stay was enjoyable to be around.

Even though my husband and I both lean toward introversion in temperament, we looked forward to the times when our schedules overlapped with others and we got to hear their stories. A very special and idyllic night included a dinner at the villa with Robin and other guests, with local crayfish and homemade pumpkin soup. On another evening, my husband had to opportunity to meet the Governor over sunset drinks by the pool. (Meanwhile I was zoned out during a massage appointment upstairs, and missed the evening cocktails and Robin’s special roasted coconut.)

In regards to eating out, this was our first visit to the island without having dinner reservations planned and set for various nights before we arrived. I am normally an organized planner, but I absolutely loved the spontaneity this trip! May my old Anguilla vacation calendar rest in peace. By taking each day as it came, we ended up trying a variety of establishments that were new to us. Without Robin’s knowledge and recommendations, we would have stayed in our same ruts and missed out on remarkable evenings.

Lunches included our favorite Trattoria Tramonto on Shoal Bay West (my only regret is only going once this time - we missed being there more often), we ordered Straw Hat repeatedly to-go (couldn’t get enough of that spiced Mahi Mahi and Ti Punch), Hungry’s food truck, Blanchard’s Beach Shack, and then a real stand-out experience was our last full day when we went with Robin and other guests to Garvey’s Sunshine Shack on Rendezvous Bay.

For dinner, we went to Veya, DaVida, Picante (sadly no Cinco de Mayo specials), Mango’s, Hibernia (loved hearing how the owners give back in the off season to orphans in Myanmar), Jacala, and Pumphouse. Definitely a highlight was our delightful evening at Jacala which featured the best fish dish of the week, a swordfish over tomato-balsamic coulis and ratatouille, and a decadent creme brûlée dessert. On our last night we experienced our first trip to Pumphouse; the nachos lived up to their reputation on the travel message boards and we enjoyed the live music.

No recap would be complete without noting all of the green and environmentally friendly initiatives going on at Las EsQuinas. Water is from cisterns, but the entire villa is on a special filter system. Purified drinking water is provided in your room each day and in the kitchen. And best of all - no plastic water bottle trash! This was a huge contrast to other places we have stayed where often the water we drank was regrettably in disposable plastic water bottles that unfortunately cannot be recycled on the island. Also, here the shower/bathroom water is captured in the villa’s plumbing and recycled to later water the landscaping. The soaps and shampoo are non-toxic. As mentioned earlier, the home is perched so that breezes are plentiful and air conditioning is not necessary. In-room Internet routers are optional (and the WIFI is complimentary).

I could truly go on and on about the property and our stay. The beautiful courtyard and palm trees. The 360-degree view up in the tower. The hospitable staff member J.R., who is a gentleman with many talents. We admired the gorgeous custom chandelier in the foyer that he built, along with all the beautiful landscaping throughout the property.

The gem of Las EsQuinas is the owner, Robin, who designed this villa as a labor of love and now shares it with the world. She is a genius in the details, and has created a true oasis. She personifies hospitality and warmth and genuineness. She is utterly charming and we left feeling like we had known her for years (and wished we had). We have stayed at several places on the island: Cap Juluca, CoveCastles, Viceroy, Frangipani, Blue Waters, and Carimar. All have their strengths to recommend them, but this place, with this wonderful new friend, finally felt like we have found our home away from home on the island of Anguilla.

On a personal note, it has been a difficult year or two physically, and to convey the sense of peace and hope I felt while at Las EsQuinas in regards to my life is truly beyond any words I could write. Perhaps the very best experiences in life do tend to defy written or verbal descriptions. In the end, it boils down to this: If you are considering a stay at Las EsQuinas, just go. Book as many days as possible. (Because trust me, you will not want to leave.) Bring a sense of wonder and awe and gratitude.

And enjoy.

Room Tip: All the room are beautiful and luxurious. I especially enjoyed the views from the second floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Russell, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

….is what my husband and I kept saying for a few days when we would wake up to the amazing view of the sunrise on the sea right from our balcony. Quite simply, Las Esquinas is exquisite. If you're looking for a top-quality experience yet super laid-back atmosphere where you can meet people from all around the world and actually get to know them (we've made some good friends!), then this is the place. I have to say though, there are so many nooks and "corners" to retreat to outside/inside if you wish to have quiet time which is also a nice option.

Breakfast always included good food (really good!), good conversations and good laughter. Taking our time…again, the sea view is amazing from the breakfast table! Robin also makes some pretty good rum punches at sundown by the pool which lead to some pretty fun times with our new friends…we might've had a late night or two under the full moon ;) aww, the memories..

We stayed in the Moroccan room and it was great. The pics on the website don't do it justice! We loved just laying on the bed looking out the window and seeing a sea of turquoise! Also, you get the best sunrise views right from your own balcony. We never turned on the AC…the trade winds were so nice at night, not to mention the sound of ocean waves! Nice double sink counter, amazing shower, room always kept super clean, no complaints here. We would definitely stay in this room again, however, our goal is to try and experience every room available. Yes, that means we are going back three more times. Somehow ;)

All in all, having experienced Las Esquinas, I wouldn't even consider staying at a hotel on the island. For one, they're more expensive and you just don't get that personal feeling. We kept saying to Robin how we felt like we were visiting a friend in her fabulous oceanside villa. You just can't beat that.

Staff were so, so nice and friendly. Just a wonderful team with big hearts. And Robin is an amazing host - she arranges everything from the moment you land in St.Martin to your arrival at Las Esquinas, knows all the best spots on the island, makes restaurant reservations if you want, etc. She made our experience flawless and stress free (Thankyou Robin!).

If you choose Las Esquinas, you will definitely not be disappointed. So much so, you may want to keep this place a secret ;)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Naperville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I traveled with my wife to Las Esquinas which we found during search online. We knew we wanted Anquilla but weren't sure where to stay. Las Esquinas caught our eye online as the website is very charming and appealing. We selected Las Esquinas and from the moment we booked our stay, the incredible experience began. Robin's immediate responsiveness prepared us for our trip with outstanding pre trip reminders and information. Her unbelievable service was a preview of how she would make our trip spectacular. She helped us book our transfers, car rental and even picked us up at the ferry. From the first second we walked onto the property, we fell in love. Robin has left nothing to chance and every detail is attended to with love and style. The staff and service are unmatched. The breakfast is as good as any you will find on the island and the relaxing environment to enjoy the morning and discuss the experiences of the day with fellow guests is a true pleasure of the stay. You feel like you are at home, expect with breathtaking views soaked in sun and calmed with tranquil ocean breezes. We stayed in the Bali room and the décor and design were relaxing, romantic and intriguing. The Las Esquinas experience doesn't stop with the beautiful villa, Robin guides guest to the places on the island that match their desires. Whether its secluded white sand beaches you want, lively reggae or spectacular island cuisine overlooking stunning sunsets, Robin will find the place for you.

What started as a simple internet search for Anguillan destinations, led us to Las Esquinas, new friends, memories for a lifetime, and a destination we will surely return to.

Room Tip: All rooms are equally wonderful and expertly unique. We adored the Bali room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Near North, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I arrived in Anguilla to meet up with 3 women I had just met last fall! Couldn't have picked a better place to go! From the get go, you feel at home in Robin's place. She has a breathtaking home! The pictures you see on the website are as exactly as you get when you walk in the front doors, only the real thing! The scenery, the people, the beaches, the restaurants...... Excellent! To wake up each morning to a wonderful breakfast & that view from the Bali Room, then onto our day! Robin is the perfect host. We rented a car & explored the island, & what a beautiful island it is! I could not say it any better, than those who have written before me!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

From the moment I walked into the villa, I felt at home. The doors were open, the breeze was flowing through the house, and the views were breathtaking, I nearly shed a tear. To call Las Esquinas a B&B does not do it the justice it deserves. You are a welcomed guest in Robin's home -- and it feels like it's your home (if we could only be fortunate to own a villa on Anguilla!). I stayed in the Mexican suite -- wow, what a view each morning, and I had to fight to keep my eyes open at night because I wanted to see another falling star from my bed, and awaken to see the sunrise from the balcony. The pool is the perfect temperature, the beach is accessible and snorkeling was enjoyable. It was hard to leave the property everyday, but Anguilla offers so many beautiful beaches, it's the best dilemma to have! I am a single traveler, and this was the PERFECT place for me -- I had the privacy I was looking for, and the security of being in a place where I felt that someone was looking out for me. I will only stay at Las Esquinas on my next return, as it offers exactly what I need -- serenity, beauty, and the quiet elegance of the best place to vacation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I think we can all agree that the best way to see Anguilla is to stay with a fabulous friend at their fabulous villa. Assuming you – like me – have no such friend, I highly recommend you stay with Robin at her fabulous villa, Las Esquinas.

Let's start with the rooms. My husband and I stayed for 5 nights in the Bali room. It was impeccably clean, furnished with some unique pieces, had a separate shower and bath (water pressure was on the low side, but considering the island has no fresh water source, it's understandable) and featured an oversized and very comfortable bed. Take your pick for keeping cool: A/C, a ceiling fan or open the screened windows that take advantage of the steady breeze/wind that seems to be blowing on this part of the island. We only had 1 mosquito invader during our stay (which was promptly sprayed to death by the housekeeper after we departed for the day). And you can't beat waking up to a view of the ocean and St. Martin.

If you're a breakfast fiend like me, you'll be happy to know that Robin, Clemencia and Lucy put out a satisfying spread. Every day featured an egg dish, some sort of breakfast meat, banana bread and/or toast and plenty of fruit (plus other goodies). You don't need to decide your breakfast time the night before - we just wandered downstairs between 7-10 a.m. and fresh plates were prepared to order.

The atmosphere at Las Esquinas is friendly and comfortable, but still professional (i.e., rooms cleaned daily, caretaker JR busy keeping the pool and grounds spic and span). Robin can help you get a rental car sorted and her restaurant recommendations were spot on, as she's been on the island for several years. And with only 4 rooms, you get to know the other guests fairly quickly. We didn't feel like we needed to run out for the day straight after breakfast. Like many other guests, we spent quite a few hours just hanging out chatting or reading, sunning ourselves by the pool or snorkeling straight from the B&B's mini beach.

"Too long; didn't read" version of my review: Las Esquinas was great. I would particularly recommend it for couples as a special place to celebrate an event like an anniversary.

Tip: You will need a rental car, as Las Esquinas isn't within walking distance to any restaurants or major beaches.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

My Mother and I visited Las Esquinas in late January and had the best trip in Years! We do a Mother Daughter spa trip every year and have frequented some fantastic hotels/ villa's however our stay with Robin in little harbour was by far the nicest and most enjoyable trip. Vickie stayed in the Moroccan room and I stayed in the Balinese, both were perfectly suited to a week in paradise. Private balconies, spacious rooms and top notch amenities made both Vickie and I feel like we were staying at home. This is just my description of the rooms! The rest of the house is equally impressive, there we're days that we had to force ourselves off the property to explore the island, it is hard to leave the view from your pool side chair. Robin's hospitality was fantastic and we felt very blessed to be in such beautiful home. Las Esquinas is #1 on our return list.

Room Tip: All 4 are wonderful
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Las EsQuinas Boutique Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!