“Perfect highwayside hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Heritage Inn Amana Colonies Hotel & Suites

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Williamsburg
Heritage Inn Amana Colonies Hotel & Suites
2185 U Avenue, I-80 Amana Exit 225, Williamsburg, IA 52361-8660 (Formerly Comfort Inn)   |
Ranked #1 of 9 hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, IL
“Perfect highwayside hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2009

To me, this is the perfect kind of highwayside hotel - clean, convenient, and reasonably priced. I don't think Heritage is a chain, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I really enjoy mom and pop operations and try to support them, but sometimes the quality can be hit and miss. But this hotel surpassed my expectations. It's convenient to both the Amana Colonies and the University of Iowa, and also to an outlet mall that's nearby. But it doesn't seem like a place where loads of college-age visitors would go, and that's fine with me. You do get a little road noise, but it's not bad at all. They have a no-smoking policy, which also works for me, as both my wife and I are non-smokers. The price was reasonable, particularly because I was able to use my AARP discount. It's also a good value because breakfast is included at a restaurant across the highway. It's close but you'll probably want to take a car. The restaurant food was standard bacon and egg type fare, but it was fine and the place was friendly. The lobby of the hotel was nice. There's an indoor pool but we didn't use it. The bed and linens were both fine. Were things as plush as the Four Seasons? Of course not, but you wouldn't expect that. This was a nice place.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

221 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Mount Pocono, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2009

My grandpa , uncle and I stayed at the Heritage Inn for a relaxing vacation. We found the staff so friendly and welcoming upon arrival. They made us feel like family!! Our room was bright and cheery and comfy and we felt safe and at home. I would definitly stay there again and reccomend it to anyone who travels in that area.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
chicago il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

I enjoyed the time I spent here with my 4 year old grandson. We used the pool and found it to be the perfect tempurature and very clean. Our room was comfortable and I felt very safe here. I enjoyed talking with the owners, Sandy and Dita. They couldn't be nicer. I will stay here again when I visit from Chicago.

Stayed September 2009
St. Paul, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

We didn't quite know what to expect when me and a friend went on a photo/video foray to the Amana Colonies in Iowa. I was pleasantly surprised to find the Heritage Inn was a nice, bright, clean and comfortable place to stay. Essentially there are few frills but the ambiance is warm and comfortable. Sandy, the person manning the desk was a wealth of information. With his suggestions we were able to put together a great itinerary of places to visit and eat. One of his suggestions was to visit the Tuscan Moon Restaurant in the other Amish community of Kolana. Driving through this area reminded me very much of the beautiful landscapes of Tuscany, Italy. The restaurant was reminiscent of an Italian bistro and the food was fantastic. Thanks Sandy!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Central Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

First, let me say I am a positive person and I try to always look first for the good in things. My first impression of the lobby and the staff was positive when we checked in. They worked with our family to get two rooms next to one another. This was very convenient and appreciated. When we received one key per room (not convenient for a group of 7 people), it should have been a sign of things to come.

The rooms smelled like a high-school locker room after a warm, August two-a-day football practice. Being the positive person I am, I didn't let the smell get me down; I opted to open the windows to get some fresh air in the room. While I was sitting in my freshly ventilated room, I asked myself, how much worse can it get? Stay positive I kept telling myself! Stay positive! Then, came time to go to bed. I figured for sure I could just sleep off all the worries of the room, right? Wrong! I think the floor was cleaner than the bed. The pillows smelled of the previous tenants' Aqua Net styled hair-do, and the bedspread had more stains than a frat house after an all night rager! Then, I woke up. We had 4 adults in our room and two towels. They were more reminiscent of used shop rags (stains and rips were free of charge)! It was easy to get more towels, but only after walking down to the front desk to exchange them.

The pool/hot tub looked great in the pics; and, if you like hazy water and dirty pools/hot tubs, you will love this area. The entrance on the back of the property was unsecure and the keyed entry was not working. I looked at this as a positive because we only had 2 keys for 7 people. And, with the age and smell of the property; I'm guessing they figured that was sufficient security.

When we arrived back to our room on the evening of our second day (around 7 pm), we were greeted with our rooms exactly how we left them. The beds were not made, and our shop rags were piled on the bathroom floor awaiting a "fresh" change. The manager on duty did come down immediately and make the beds and bring "fresh" rags, so, that was nice, but to have both our room and our family's other room to not be cleaned was unacceptable.

If you like crickets; this is your paradise. My wife only found 2 in our room. If you want to walk around barefoot and have the bottoms of your feet turn black; make your reservation today!

I stayed positive and still had a very enjoyable weekend seeing my family. The hotel left nothing to be desired, but you can bet it's left some lasting memories that our family will talk about for many years to come!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

Heritage Inn - Amana Colonies Hotel is perfect for get aways!

What a wonderful place to spend the end of our vacation! We have spent nights in many different motels and Heritage Inn - Amana Colonies Hotel is by far one of the best. This hotel is smoke-free and was perfect for us. We enjoyed their in-door hot tub and pool.
Certificates are provided for a free hearty breakfast at a nearby restaurant. We highly recommend the Heritage Inn - Amana Colonies Hotel!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Oak Grove, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

We were part of a group of 14, we were all very impressed with the hotel in all areas.
Staff was excellant to us and most helpful. My husband and I both think that it was the best place to be when you can not be at home. It was so very comfortable. The think that I watch most in hotels is how clean the corners of the bathrooms are. This one was extremely clean. Highest standards to them in our opinion and an excellant in all catagories is not usually obtained in hotels, but this one has reached that.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Heritage Inn Amana Colonies Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!