“Home Cookin...Really!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American, German
Description: The Ox Yoke Innterstate Restaurant closed on Monday, December 30, 2013. It was sold and will be torn down to make room for a new business.
Newton, Iowa
“Home Cookin...Really!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

My wife and I went to this Restaurant for the first time with our son, daughter-in-law and 3 grandkids arriving around 10:50am on a Saturday. We were greeted by some very friendly ladies and seated. The area was very clean and had a homey feeling and now for the downer....The waitress....barking orders at us like she knew us (she didn't) telling us, "if we want breakfast you better order quick, the cooks won't do breakfast after 11am and they are strict". REALLY, we were the only people in the place and if we order 2 minutes after 11 they won't cook breakfast? My son and I made some comments like we couldn't believe it and we have never been treated this way and we were about to get up and leave the place. She must have been paying attention because her attitude changed a little bit to the good side. Now back to the important part...The food. It was outstanding. I had one of the biggest and best cinnamon rolls I have ever seen or ate. I had to get a box for the left overs. My granddaughters had omlets which they said were great as well. My son had Chicken and frys, he gave me a bite and I must say....outstanding. If the server wasn't so snotty at the begining this would have been a 5 star stop....HOME COOKIN....GREAT HOME COOKIN. Enjoy. Oh yeah...The prices were very fair.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

asheville, north carolina
“Good food; not the real Amanas”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

The Ox Yoke Interstate is to Amana restaurants what the interstate highway is to a country lane. It does the job, but it is without much character. The food remains typical of Amana cuisine: lots of side dishes, simple but well-prepared plain main courses. It was quite good. But the atmosphere is nothing like the original Amana restaurants: The Ox Yoke Inn, Bill Zubers; etc. Next time, I'd drive a bit further off the main highway...

The atmosphere is further degraded by the fact that this restaurant now sits to a deserted and abandoned cheap motel.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Great Breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

We only had breakfast at this restaurant and it was wonderful. I don't know how they make that strawberry jam but I could have taken a bath in it. Make sure you have the jam if you go there for breakfast!

Visited June 2012
Iowa City, Iowa
“Bina 2012”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Execellent food and service. The food was amazing I felt like i just a a Thanks giving meal. I reccommend the fried mashrooms.

Visited May 2012
United States
“BEST family dining food in Eastern Iowa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

This quaint village called Amana is of German heritage that offers many opportunities for sightseeing, shopping and eating, including The Ox Yoke Inn.
I feel this is, by far, the best choice to have a wonderful family dining experience.

It is a Gotta Eat kinda place.

Rube