“Decent Waterpark, So-So Motel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Williamsburg and Wasserbahn Waterpark

You added Ramada Williamsburg and Wasserbahn Waterpark to your Saves list
Ramada Williamsburg and Wasserbahn Waterpark
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2211 U. Avenue, Exit 225, 1-80, Williamsburg, IA 52361 (Formerly Clarion Inn Amana Colonies and Wasserbahn Waterpark Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Williamsburg
Dubuque
“Decent Waterpark, So-So Motel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Stayed here 3 years ago, our kids loved the waterpark and we were going to be in the area again, so we figured "what the heck." Very average motel, nothing updated in at least 15 or so years. You couldn't charge anything from the bar or the restaurant to your room, which I thought was odd. We stayed on a Saturday night - there was a wedding reception in the hotel banquet room that night, so the bar had no stemware for wine - only option was a plastic beer cup. No continental breakfast, which is odd in this day and age. The hotel was booked solid and the restaurant was woefully understaffed and unprepared for the ensuing breakfast rush on Sunday morning. The wi-fi was free - sort of. You have to pay extra to get the "fast" wi-fi. No options for a suite, just the standard 1980s era king or double queen room. I certainly expect more for $150 in the middle of BF Iowa. However, the room was dark at night, we got a decent night's sleep, and our kids enjoyed the waterpark.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Flint, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

we stayed in this hotel but didn't get in until 10:30pm (no reservations, just traveling through the area) and left at 5:30am so I can only say that the front desk staff was very friendly and the room was clean and comfortable for a great price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Renee D, General Manager at Ramada Williamsburg and Wasserbahn Waterpark, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
We are very glad you enjoyed your stay here at our facility, and hope you choose to stay with us again.
Waukee, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

This place is nothing its made out to be. Waterpark?! Really?! They must be crazy. Normal hotel pools are better than this. Putt-putt course with an average hole length of about 15 feet. Don't waste you time or money even looking at this place. If there was a way to do 0 stars, I would have.

• Stayed August 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We found this hotel in one of the coupon books that we picked up at the Iowa welcome center while driving home from MN. We were traveling with grandchildren, ages 11 and 8, and were looking for something reasonably priced and with a nice pool. As we drove west on I-80 from Iowa City, I read the trip-advisor reviews and was afraid we had made a bad decision in driving out of our way for this hotel.

I was not impressed by the dated decor when we walked into the lobby, but were greeted by a nice young man, who let us look at the waterpark before we made a decision to stay. The kids followed me down the hall and that was it....we had to stay because they got very exited when they saw it!!

So back to the desk and I asked if he could honor the coupon and he said that he could and would not charge me the extra money for a weekend night. He also noted that my husband walked with a cane and made sure we would be on the ground floor. I was surprised there was no elevator here, so if you have mobility issues and call ahead for a room, make sure that you inform them.

We were given room 155 and were just steps from the parking area. The room appeared to be in good condition with fairly new furnishings and soft goods. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom, though small, was clean and bright. The air conditioner worked fine and the large screen TV and fridge were nice.

The kids couldn't get changed into their suits fast enough and we went directly to the pool, while my husband went to find us some take out supper. The waterpark area is small, but that makes it easier to keep and eye on the kids. There were lifeguards that looked after the pool and slides, but I never saw one by the toddlers area.......guess parents are usually with them anyway.

There were tables and chairs inside the pavilion and outside on the patio. I moved out there after awhile and was still able to see the kids playing. The kids had a great time as I think they are the perfect age for this waterpark. Older kids may get bored after awhile as the park has limited space and activities. The toddlers seemed to enjoy the zero entrance pool and small water slide.

Overall, our stay was pleasant and perfect for an "overnight, on our way home" kind of hotel. I would be hard pressed to recommend it for a destination type hotel/resort. There were the small things....work in progress on the exterior..., scaffolding leaned precariously up against the wall... entry doors, though key access, did not close....hallways that were warm and not so great smelling....a lobby that looked like it belonged in a time capsule.....no elevators to the second floor.....a check out clerk who said that she read trip-advisor and was aware that negative reviews were posted but didn't want to "take the trouble of arguing." Wow! How about a pleasant response to let other trip-advisor readers know that you are willing to address issues, even if you felt they "didn't have all the facts correct."

I would stay here again, if the price were right. But I wouldn't go out of my way.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

When we first walked into our room (222) it was extremely hot, which was alarming given that it was July in Iowa and a hot room is the last thing I'd expect in a hotel. As it turns out, the air conditioner was off (which was our first sign something was wrong). We turned the air down to 60 (as low as it goes) and the fan to High and sweated it out while we got situated, assuming they had just shut the air off to be cheap. After leaving for 2 hours and coming back to find the room feeling the same (the hallway was much cooler), we grabbed a pop we had placed in the fridge only to notice that the surge protector connected to the fridge was out (no light on). We tried getting it to turn back on but couldn't. Given the hot room, the fridge not working, and the toilet bowl that was stained to the point of looking dirty, we went to call the front desk only to find that the phone didn't work (no dial tone).

Thinking it couldn't get much worse, we walked down stairs (yes,down the stairs....there are no elevators in this hotel, which was a nice surprise when we had to lug our suitcases up stairs) to the front desk. We started telling a young man at the front desk what was going on when an older lady rudely interrupted, saying "you're just going to have to be patient, it's going to take some time for someone to get up there to look at it!" Um, excuse me, did you just yell at me?! We decided to bite our tongues (it was hard to do...we don't expect to be yelled at from the front desk of a hotel, especially when we hand't even raised our voices) and give them a chance to fix it.

After about 15 minutes of sitting in the hot room, a younger man (think his name was Ethan) stopped by. He was very nice, and wanted to help. He looked at the air conditioner (realized he couldn't fix it), confirmed that the phone was dead, and figured out that the fridge needed a new surge protector. He told us he would see if he could get us moved into a new room. After a few minutes, he came back informing us the room across the hall (223) was available and asked us to check it out to see if it was ok. Immediately after he opened the door we could tell a huge difference...the air conditioner actually worked (the room was nice and cool), the phone worked, and the fridge worked. We took it!

Our experience was much better after we got a new room. The waterpark was ok; it is small, but what they do have was nice. My only complaint with the waterpark was that the young adults they had as lifeguards never cracked a smile. The only reason I mention this is because the lifeguard tells you when you can go down the water slide (to ensure it's clear). When you are on a vacation, it's nice to see happy people as opposed to feeling like you're a nuisance.

The main points for the low review are...
1. Getting yelled at by the older lady at the front desk (note: as it turns out, we later found out that the lady that yelled at us is the hotel manager! )
2. No elevators seems a little cheesey for a hotel
3. Someone (the cleaning crew?) should have noticed that the air conditioner didn't work in our original room and we never should've gone through that experience.

Room Tip: ask to see the room first since other people have noted similar problems with the air conditioners
West Branch, Iowa, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We reserved 7 rooms for the weekend of July 21. At least two rooms had cooling problems. Our room was set to 60 and never got below 74. They came and looked at it unplugged it and plugged it back in. It didn't come on back on but I was able to get it to come on by turning it on to heat. My daughter was given a key to on check in. There was already someone in this room with beer bottles and clothing strewn all over. They gave her another room which had a dirty towel hanging on the door and poop left in the toilet. We went back to the front desk. The manager brought a young employee back to clean the room. She left and left the windex on the counter and the dirty towel still hanging on the back of the door. The assistant manager said we would get a credit on our bill. The bills were put under the door at full price. After letting the front desk know about all the problems, she hadn't been informed, she cut $50 off the price. I would have thought they would have not have charged us for that room after we had paid for all the other rooms. I was told I would have to take it up with the manager. I will give them a better rating if after my call to the manager I am given a credit on my credit card.

Room Tip: Breakfast was very good but not complimentary.
Earth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Never got a call telling me of the ECOLi. Had to find out about it on the news and they didn't offer any help for finding another hotel, nor could they even tell me they would be open for my stay in 2 days!

Couldn't even talk with the manager, joke of a hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Ramada Williamsburg and Wasserbahn Waterpark? Share your experiences!