“Nice Place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Candlewood Suites - Des Moines

Save Saved
You added Candlewood Suites - Des Moines to your Saves list
Candlewood Suites - Des Moines
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7625 Office Plaza Drive North, West Des Moines, IA 50266   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in West Des Moines
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
“Nice Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Nice place. Clean - roomy and comfortable; however there were issues with our fridge.
Nice layout in the room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

We are traveling over the July 4th weekend, and all hotels were booked that accepted dogs. We stayed here at Candlewood Suites and thought for the price it would be fine but not great. TO our suprise, the room which was alledgedly a smoking room didn't smell at all! Clean, neat, hardwood floors, great room and the front desk attendant helped us get acquainted with the free video rental and complimentary store area. They had doggy bag dispensers at well in the dog park area, and it is very close to a very high end shopping center. Overall an excellent experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Road Warrior
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Was a little worried when I pulled up to this hotel as I have had a couple bad experiences at these older style Candlewood's that have this particular building design in the past, however, not so with this place, this was a great hotel.

The primary reason is that this hotel has already undergone it's room renovation, many of these older Candlewoods are being remodeled in 2012 and are in various stages of remodel, some had gotten pretty run down and desperately needed renovating. This Candlewood was the first one I've seen this year that had the new rooms designed by graduate students at Savannah College of. Art and Design. Their design is really classy and modern looking also very functional and comfortable as well. I did not post any pictures of the new rooms but the ones shown on Tripadvisor here are old.

A couple things in my room had not been upgraded yet like the dishwasher, fridge and carpet and while they didn't go with the new decor they still were functional.

Wireless Internet worked well, download speeds were around 3Mbps which was decent, didn't have any problems streaming video even when the hotel was full.

Location is good, West Des Moines is probably the nicest area of the city or at least the nicest part that I've seen in my travels. The hotel is right next to a Motel 6 but it's actually one of the nicer looking Motel 6's I've ever seen.

Cleanliness was good, my housekeeper was a guy, I have only seen maybe 3 or 4 male housekeepers total in more then 600 hotel stays but he seems to do a good job.

All in all I had a good stay, I don't really have many complaints, I guess the only real complaint is that I did not get an automatic room upgrade for being a PC Platinum Elite member as I typically do in IHG hotels.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Staunton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

This place was impressive as far as the rooms , nice lay out and modern ; clean . Man at the desk was friendly and told me about the great place to have breakfast the next day but we were out all the next day and returned to the hotel by 10:30pm (sign says office closes at 11:00pm) and I asked if he could print out boarding passes for me but he said "the systems" are all down and he was talking to "corporate". So I went to my room only to find the room had not been cleaned or towels and coffee had not been replenished so I went back down to lobby(2 minutes) and he was gone . I had to go to their "honor system" store and buy coffee for the next mourning at $1.50 each . That's not a lot for a pack of coffee but just felt that it's usually free and even on the week ends your room is cleaned

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

I've stayed at this location several times over the years, but most recently to visit friends and use a Points Break offer. It's location is the highlight - being so close to the mall, but other than that it's just your run of the mill extended stay hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Princeton, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

I found this property great. No, it's not fancy. It's very basic. But it's immaculately clean, well-maintained and a great bargain. One review noted that there are no ice machines. No, there are no ice machines in the HALLS. But each room has a full sized refrigerator with it's own ice maker, plus a stovetop, full sized microwave, dishwasher, dishes and silverware, pots and pans, toaster, and coffeemaker. Even a garbage disposer. Coffee and microwave popcorn included. And a little convenience store next to the FREE guest laundry and fitness room, where you can get food to prepare in your room, plus snacks and sodas--all on the honor system. Pay by putting the cash in the slot, or a slip with your room number and prices of what you took and they'll put it on your room tab. High speed wired and wireless internet access--free--with speeds that are usable but not blazing fast. The property is quiet, and in a small grouping of hotels of various price points and flags. The front desk personnel were very friendly and eager to please. I am disabled and walk with a crutch, but I never reserve handicapped rooms, but the first thing the young lady who checked me in was concerned about was if I needed a room with an accessible bathtub or any other features. I assured her I didn't need these. She placed me near a door on the first floor so it would be as easy as possible for me to get my stuff in, but happily moved me upstairs when I said that I felt safer there, and made sure my room was close to but NOT across from or adjacent to the elevator.

I see reviews of this property complaining that the TVs are not large flat panels, that there are no soup spoons in the rooms, that it's "no frills," "dated," and "tired and dingy." One even suggested that it cost "nearly as much as most other hotels in the area." Really? Something other than the Motel 6 was nearly as cheap as this property's full rack rate of $79/night? And do these "nearly as cheap" rooms have full sized fridges, stovetops, full sized microwaves, dishes, pots and pans, dishwashers, and pretty much everything--including the kitchen sink? The Hampton Inn nearby has rooms with just beds--no fridge, no microwave, nothing like a kitchen--same for the nearby Fairfield Inn--so much for Hilton and Marriott. The Hampton's rack rate is a whopping $139, and the Fairfield's a more reasonable $84. For MUCH smaller rooms with far fewer features, though both are much "fancier."

I don't know that you could do much better for less than $80/night. Certainly not in the Des Moines area.

Room Tip: This is just a really great value. Unless you really want to pay a lot more to get a fancier room...