“Earned a new customer” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2701 Westown Parkway, West Des Moines, IA 50266-1441 (Formerly Studio Plus Deluxe Studios)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #13 of 16 hotels in West Des Moines
Gardner, KS
“Earned a new customer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We were visiting family in Des Moines and just needed a place for the night. For the money, the Studio Plus is definitely the way to go. The entrance to the room was indoors, something we all appreciated during the snowstorm. There was plenty of room for me, my wife and 2 daughters. The full kitchen was well appointed and would have come in handy if we were staying more than just one night. The bed was comfy and the bathroom was nice sized. It felt very "homey" and while we were there, my wife & I looked up other SPDS properties for future travels. We're hoping that the Wichita hotel is as accommodating as was WDM. The only drawback to the facility is that they don't serve breakfast in this location. Certainly NOT a dealbreaker by any means. Besides, there's a new concept Quik Trip just a minute away from the hotel so we got coffee & breakfast and were good to go! This isn't a fancy 5-star hotel - it's a reasonable place to spend the night and I would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Eleal, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Thank you for your sharing your great review of our property in Des Moinse, Iowa. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you will be visiting one of our other locations. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

59 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

I travel a lot and stay at a lot of different hotels. I came across this hotel while on a major road trip from oklahoma to minnesota. This was by far the best hotel i stayed at on my trip and one of the best ive stayed at in my life. I have found that the guest service is perhaps the most important part of a hotel. The woman in charge of guest services the night i stayed was fantastic! She was very warm ans welcomeing and helpful the whole night. Secondly is the room. Wow are these rooms awesome! It is like having your own studio appartment (i suppose thats why its called studio plus). The room is huge! My room had a queen sized bed, sofa, dresser, big closet, business desk, night stands, flat screen hdtv, full kitchen and bathroom, and plenty of walk around space left over. My only complaint was that i was not staying here longer than one night! The neighborhood is fantastic. I was able to buy geoceries for dinner and breakfast which is a big money saver. There is a gym on site which is better than most hotel gyms (tredmill, eliptical and bike. I booked my stay on a travel site for less than 40 bucks. This was an amayzing value. I wish i could rent one of these units to live in! If you are considering this hotel, then please stay here, you wont regret it and you will have a pleasant stay!

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for your great review of our property here in Des Moines, Iowa. It's always great to hear that our guests such as yourself are always made to feel like they are at home. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Galesburg, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I stayed here for one night before an early flight out of Des Moines. The lady working check-in (I arrived fairly late, around 8pm) was very sweet. She seemed genuinely interested in me and my travels. I had pre-paid for the room and she moved my check-in process along pretty smoothly.

The room was mostly clean but a bit dated. The furniture and decor is in need of updating badly. There was a huge stain in the carpet (pictured) and the room had that unpleasant "hotel" odor. Also, there was mold in the bath tub (also pictured). When I opened the windows to air the room out, I noticed the window ledges were quite dirty. It was very warm that evening so I turned the air conditioner on and the room odor returned.

The bed, while dated, was pretty comfortable and the suite had all the amenities you would expect at an extended stay facility.

One positive aspect was the internet. While most hotels have generally slow interntet, the internet flew here and I was able to accomplish a lot of work before heading out for vacation!

The hotel is in a very nice neighborhood near some restaurants (both fast food and casual dining). The area feels very safe and is easy to find. While the hotel was some distance from the airport and downtown, both are only minutes away via the interstate.

Check-Out was a breeze as I had to leave very early. All in all it was okay...but this hotel needs some updating before I can call it top notch.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking time to write a review about your stay. It was great to hear that our staff was so friendly to you. Yet, I do apologize for the issues you had during your stay as this is not something that typically occurs here at our hotel. I have taken your comments and reviewed them with the staff to ensure situations such as the ones you encountered do not occur again.

Again I apologize and we look forward to seeing you again should your travels bring you back to the area.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

I really couldnt believe the quality of this room. cannot go wrong but staying here. you will have the comforts of home away from home. I really look forward to staying here again. I travel alot and when Im traveling and need a place to stay this is what I will be looking for

• Stayed December 2012
Eleal, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and will be returning again soon. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Hudson, Wisconsin, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stay in a lot of hotels for business. This was by far the loudest hotel I've ever been in. The room was very spacious and the TV was very nice. It was difficult to fall asleep because anytime the guest in the room above ours walked around we could here every footstep. When we checked in there was a guest right outside our window with a grill making dinner.....that was a new one. We slept in because we had just worked all weekend long. We were awoken to what sounded like someone in the room next to us trying to rip the bathroom plumbing out of the wall. It went on for at least 20 minutes. I'm sure it was maintenance fixing something and it was 9am, but still.....also the bathroom had a pretty good mold colony.

Room Tip: Stay in the top floor so the guests above you don't disturb you.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Eleal, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was not 100% satisfactory. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you bringing these items to our attention. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I travel for business and don't really know where I may end the day. So I have my rooms booked late and I'm simply told directions to get there. It was a pleasant surprise to find myself at StudioPlus in West Des Moines, IA. I had stayed there before and had a comfortable experience. I was greeted quickly, collected a hair dryer ( don't forget to ask ) and was in my room within minutes. This is not a Hilton, but it's clean, flat screen TV, comfortable bed, easily adjustable climate control, nice shower & quiet. There's an out door pool, though I have not had a chance to use it. There's a small work out area, laundry & vending room. All-in-all a comfortable economy stay. Very nice employees and shopping/restaurants very near by. I'd stay again & again.

Room Tip: They all look the same to me
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Eleal, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us at our Studio Plus in West Des Moines. I'm so pleased to hear that your second stay with us was as pleasant as your first stay. It is also great to hear that our amenities are equally as good. Hope on your next trip you do actually have time to use these.

Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

The price was right but I guess you get what you pay for. I was very disappointed in my stay here. The rooms were large and that part of it was great. Kitchenette was nice if you are looking for a long stay. I guess if I was working in the city for a few days and wanted to have a larger room this would have been ok.

I was in a nonsmoking room but the hallways were filled with smoke. It seemed like the other rooms were also non-smoking so people just went into the hallway to smoke. The bed was very hard and not comfortable at all. Bedspread was old and a little nasty.

It looked like a lot of construction people were spending the week at the hotel. I was simply passing through Des Moines and found a cheap place. Next time I will pay a little more and be on the safe side.

It is marked as a 2 star hotel but I do not think so. 1 star max

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Eleal, Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
"Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. We are committed to providing every guest with outstanding accommodations, yet somehow we failed you as your stay with us was not 100% satisfactory. For that I am truly sorry.

We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why we strive so hard to accommodate them with clean, comfortable rooms at an exceptional price. Yet we failed to provide you such based on your review. Please note we are in the process as a company of replacing all of our beds to include this location before the end of the year. This may help solve issues as yours. Also, in regards to the smoking concerns, I have personally reviewed this issue with our staff at the property thus ensure situations as you encountered do not occur again. Granted sometimes it is difficult to manage guest properly we do offer alternatives to them other than smoking in the corridors. That is why we offer designated certain rooms for smokers and the rest for non-smokers.

Although it is unusual for a guest to have the experience you did while staying with us, we would like to use your account to help us make our hotel even better. Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me should you have anything else you wish to discuss at eleal@extendedstay.com."

Been to Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines? Share your experiences!