“Ok"ish" but lacking in some areas” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines

You added Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2701 Westown Parkway, West Des Moines, IA 50266-1441 (Formerly Studio Plus Deluxe Studios)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in West Des Moines
Galesburg, Illinois
“Ok"ish" but lacking in some areas”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I stayed here for one night before an early flight out of Des Moines. The lady working check-in (I arrived fairly late, around 8pm) was very sweet. She seemed genuinely interested in me and my travels. I had pre-paid for the room and she moved my check-in process along pretty smoothly.

The room was mostly clean but a bit dated. The furniture and decor is in need of updating badly. There was a huge stain in the carpet (pictured) and the room had that unpleasant "hotel" odor. Also, there was mold in the bath tub (also pictured). When I opened the windows to air the room out, I noticed the window ledges were quite dirty. It was very warm that evening so I turned the air conditioner on and the room odor returned.

The bed, while dated, was pretty comfortable and the suite had all the amenities you would expect at an extended stay facility.

One positive aspect was the internet. While most hotels have generally slow interntet, the internet flew here and I was able to accomplish a lot of work before heading out for vacation!

The hotel is in a very nice neighborhood near some restaurants (both fast food and casual dining). The area feels very safe and is easy to find. While the hotel was some distance from the airport and downtown, both are only minutes away via the interstate.

Check-Out was a breeze as I had to leave very early. All in all it was okay...but this hotel needs some updating before I can call it top notch.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Eleal, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Thank you for taking time to write a review about your stay. It was great to hear that our staff was so friendly to you. Yet, I do apologize for the issues you had during your stay as this is not something that typically occurs here at our hotel. I have taken your comments and reviewed them with the staff to ensure situations such as the ones you encountered do not occur again.

Again I apologize and we look forward to seeing you again should your travels bring you back to the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

I really couldnt believe the quality of this room. cannot go wrong but staying here. you will have the comforts of home away from home. I really look forward to staying here again. I travel alot and when Im traveling and need a place to stay this is what I will be looking for

• Stayed December 2012
Eleal, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and will be returning again soon. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Hudson, Wisconsin, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stay in a lot of hotels for business. This was by far the loudest hotel I've ever been in. The room was very spacious and the TV was very nice. It was difficult to fall asleep because anytime the guest in the room above ours walked around we could here every footstep. When we checked in there was a guest right outside our window with a grill making dinner.....that was a new one. We slept in because we had just worked all weekend long. We were awoken to what sounded like someone in the room next to us trying to rip the bathroom plumbing out of the wall. It went on for at least 20 minutes. I'm sure it was maintenance fixing something and it was 9am, but still.....also the bathroom had a pretty good mold colony.

Room Tip: Stay in the top floor so the guests above you don't disturb you.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Eleal, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was not 100% satisfactory. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you bringing these items to our attention. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I travel for business and don't really know where I may end the day. So I have my rooms booked late and I'm simply told directions to get there. It was a pleasant surprise to find myself at StudioPlus in West Des Moines, IA. I had stayed there before and had a comfortable experience. I was greeted quickly, collected a hair dryer ( don't forget to ask ) and was in my room within minutes. This is not a Hilton, but it's clean, flat screen TV, comfortable bed, easily adjustable climate control, nice shower & quiet. There's an out door pool, though I have not had a chance to use it. There's a small work out area, laundry & vending room. All-in-all a comfortable economy stay. Very nice employees and shopping/restaurants very near by. I'd stay again & again.

Room Tip: They all look the same to me
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Eleal, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us at our Studio Plus in West Des Moines. I'm so pleased to hear that your second stay with us was as pleasant as your first stay. It is also great to hear that our amenities are equally as good. Hope on your next trip you do actually have time to use these.

Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

The price was right but I guess you get what you pay for. I was very disappointed in my stay here. The rooms were large and that part of it was great. Kitchenette was nice if you are looking for a long stay. I guess if I was working in the city for a few days and wanted to have a larger room this would have been ok.

I was in a nonsmoking room but the hallways were filled with smoke. It seemed like the other rooms were also non-smoking so people just went into the hallway to smoke. The bed was very hard and not comfortable at all. Bedspread was old and a little nasty.

It looked like a lot of construction people were spending the week at the hotel. I was simply passing through Des Moines and found a cheap place. Next time I will pay a little more and be on the safe side.

It is marked as a 2 star hotel but I do not think so. 1 star max

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Eleal, Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
"Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. We are committed to providing every guest with outstanding accommodations, yet somehow we failed you as your stay with us was not 100% satisfactory. For that I am truly sorry.

We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why we strive so hard to accommodate them with clean, comfortable rooms at an exceptional price. Yet we failed to provide you such based on your review. Please note we are in the process as a company of replacing all of our beds to include this location before the end of the year. This may help solve issues as yours. Also, in regards to the smoking concerns, I have personally reviewed this issue with our staff at the property thus ensure situations as you encountered do not occur again. Granted sometimes it is difficult to manage guest properly we do offer alternatives to them other than smoking in the corridors. That is why we offer designated certain rooms for smokers and the rest for non-smokers.

Although it is unusual for a guest to have the experience you did while staying with us, we would like to use your account to help us make our hotel even better. Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me should you have anything else you wish to discuss at eleal@extendedstay.com."
Overland Park, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed and the hotel was terrible. We stayed in room on the second floor ( the one right next to elevator0 and it looked like mold in the bathroom behind the door. There was cat hair on the bedspread - which made me terrible sneezy. The bedspread had holes, the ceiling was patched, the recliner was broken, and the couch was dirty. The bed was so hard and made terrible noises when you made the slightest move. On the positive - The carpet seemed clean and new and the gal at the desk was pleasant. I would get a better night sleep in my car.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of our hotel. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff was great; yet, I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why our mission is to provide clean, comfortable rooms at an affordable price that guests want to come back to. The room condition you describe is totally unacceptable to me and not at all representative of our quality standards. In response to your post, I have met with our hotel staff and used your review to help coach them on room cleaning and inspection policy thus ensure that situations as you encountered do not occur again.

Fargo, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Have stayed at this chain a few years ago and was very satisfied so was expecting a good stay... we were not disappointed! Very clean and spacious room, building was well maintained and the staff was excellent. While the kitchen appliances were not quite as good as an apartment, I was not expecting that. It was a very good experience and we will be staying here again the next time we are in Des Moines. Highly recommended property!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines, responded to this review, September 14, 2012

Been to Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines? Share your experiences!