“2nd Stay As Nice As The First” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines

You added Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2701 Westown Parkway, West Des Moines, IA 50266 (Formerly Studio Plus Deluxe Studios)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
SAVE 15% TODAY!
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in West Des Moines
Saint Louis, Missouri
“2nd Stay As Nice As The First”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I travel for business and don't really know where I may end the day. So I have my rooms booked late and I'm simply told directions to get there. It was a pleasant surprise to find myself at StudioPlus in West Des Moines, IA. I had stayed there before and had a comfortable experience. I was greeted quickly, collected a hair dryer ( don't forget to ask ) and was in my room within minutes. This is not a Hilton, but it's clean, flat screen TV, comfortable bed, easily adjustable climate control, nice shower & quiet. There's an out door pool, though I have not had a chance to use it. There's a small work out area, laundry & vending room. All-in-all a comfortable economy stay. Very nice employees and shopping/restaurants very near by. I'd stay again & again.

Room Tip: They all look the same to me
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Eleal, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us at our Studio Plus in West Des Moines. I'm so pleased to hear that your second stay with us was as pleasant as your first stay. It is also great to hear that our amenities are equally as good. Hope on your next trip you do actually have time to use these.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

The price was right but I guess you get what you pay for. I was very disappointed in my stay here. The rooms were large and that part of it was great. Kitchenette was nice if you are looking for a long stay. I guess if I was working in the city for a few days and wanted to have a larger room this would have been ok.

I was in a nonsmoking room but the hallways were filled with smoke. It seemed like the other rooms were also non-smoking so people just went into the hallway to smoke. The bed was very hard and not comfortable at all. Bedspread was old and a little nasty.

It looked like a lot of construction people were spending the week at the hotel. I was simply passing through Des Moines and found a cheap place. Next time I will pay a little more and be on the safe side.

It is marked as a 2 star hotel but I do not think so. 1 star max

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Eleal, Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
"Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. We are committed to providing every guest with outstanding accommodations, yet somehow we failed you as your stay with us was not 100% satisfactory. For that I am truly sorry.

We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why we strive so hard to accommodate them with clean, comfortable rooms at an exceptional price. Yet we failed to provide you such based on your review. Please note we are in the process as a company of replacing all of our beds to include this location before the end of the year. This may help solve issues as yours. Also, in regards to the smoking concerns, I have personally reviewed this issue with our staff at the property thus ensure situations as you encountered do not occur again. Granted sometimes it is difficult to manage guest properly we do offer alternatives to them other than smoking in the corridors. That is why we offer designated certain rooms for smokers and the rest for non-smokers.

Although it is unusual for a guest to have the experience you did while staying with us, we would like to use your account to help us make our hotel even better. Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me should you have anything else you wish to discuss at eleal@extendedstay.com."
Overland Park, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed and the hotel was terrible. We stayed in room on the second floor ( the one right next to elevator0 and it looked like mold in the bathroom behind the door. There was cat hair on the bedspread - which made me terrible sneezy. The bedspread had holes, the ceiling was patched, the recliner was broken, and the couch was dirty. The bed was so hard and made terrible noises when you made the slightest move. On the positive - The carpet seemed clean and new and the gal at the desk was pleasant. I would get a better night sleep in my car.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of our hotel. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff was great; yet, I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why our mission is to provide clean, comfortable rooms at an affordable price that guests want to come back to. The room condition you describe is totally unacceptable to me and not at all representative of our quality standards. In response to your post, I have met with our hotel staff and used your review to help coach them on room cleaning and inspection policy thus ensure that situations as you encountered do not occur again.

Fargo, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Have stayed at this chain a few years ago and was very satisfied so was expecting a good stay... we were not disappointed! Very clean and spacious room, building was well maintained and the staff was excellent. While the kitchen appliances were not quite as good as an apartment, I was not expecting that. It was a very good experience and we will be staying here again the next time we are in Des Moines. Highly recommended property!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines, responded to this review, September 14, 2012

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for three nights recently and were very pleased. The room was comfortable and the staff were all very friendly. Wheni asked for towels to be refreshed I got them right away and even Judy while vacuuming the halls they wouldnsaybhelo and ask if everything was ok. Our room was a non-smoking room, but I still smelled a faint hint of smoke. There was a great tv, but only cartoon network for the kiddo to watch. The room seemed very clean, but I realized the carpet was really dirty when I found my feet and my child's excessively dirty at bath time. We would stay again, just maybe with some flip flops.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of our hotel and for recognizing the efforts of our staff, especially Judy. We take great pride in offering a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price, so I was happy to read your comments about your accommodations. However, I was disappointed to read the rest of your remarks. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why our mission is to provide clean, comfortable rooms at an affordable price that guests want to come back to. The carpet condition you describe is totally unacceptable to me and not at all representative of our quality standards. In response to your post, I have met with our hotel staff and used your review to help coach them on cleaning them appropriately.

It's not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other brand location in the future.
Pikesville, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I have been staying here for a month now, and I have nothing bad to say about the property, management or staff. I have stayed at many extended stay properties, from Studio 6's (yuk) to Marriott's Residence Inn's, and this hotel is much closer to Residence Inn in quality than to Studio 6. And at about 1/3 the price of a Residence Inn.) I am staying in the "delux" unit, which features a full kitchen, a separate sleeping area and a sleeper sofa, which is very nice just in case you need it. I have had two minor service requests, which were handled promptly, and the room is cleaned spotless every week right on schedule. The front office staff has been, without exception, very friendly, helpful and professional. The building and grounds give a very good first impression when driving up, and there is ample parking on all but times when the hotel is fully occupied. I will be moving out to an apartment in a couple of weeks, but only because I need a little more room (and more than one small window). The only other complaint I have is that the bed is a little lacking in sleep comfort -- maybe it's time for a new one.

Room Tip: Go the extra few bucks for the deluxe room. You get a few more amenities, and a little more room...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at our hotel and for noticing our great location. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. It sounds like we hit a home run in your case!

Basehor, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

The rooms where big enought for my family. I love it! The price was great! They have good deals on families who go out town for softball, I would stay there again, I just didnt like they dont have a garbage disposal, but overall is a great hotel to stay in. The people where very nice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at our hotel. We strive to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, especially with the in-room kitchen, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

Been to Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines? Share your experiences!