“Nice Hotel, Could be Cleaner” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2701 Westown Parkway, West Des Moines, IA 50266-1441 (Formerly Studio Plus Deluxe Studios)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #14 of 16 hotels in West Des Moines
“Nice Hotel, Could be Cleaner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for three nights recently and were very pleased. The room was comfortable and the staff were all very friendly. Wheni asked for towels to be refreshed I got them right away and even Judy while vacuuming the halls they wouldnsaybhelo and ask if everything was ok. Our room was a non-smoking room, but I still smelled a faint hint of smoke. There was a great tv, but only cartoon network for the kiddo to watch. The room seemed very clean, but I realized the carpet was really dirty when I found my feet and my child's excessively dirty at bath time. We would stay again, just maybe with some flip flops.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of our hotel and for recognizing the efforts of our staff, especially Judy. We take great pride in offering a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price, so I was happy to read your comments about your accommodations. However, I was disappointed to read the rest of your remarks. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why our mission is to provide clean, comfortable rooms at an affordable price that guests want to come back to. The carpet condition you describe is totally unacceptable to me and not at all representative of our quality standards. In response to your post, I have met with our hotel staff and used your review to help coach them on cleaning them appropriately.

It's not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other brand location in the future.

58 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Pikesville, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I have been staying here for a month now, and I have nothing bad to say about the property, management or staff. I have stayed at many extended stay properties, from Studio 6's (yuk) to Marriott's Residence Inn's, and this hotel is much closer to Residence Inn in quality than to Studio 6. And at about 1/3 the price of a Residence Inn.) I am staying in the "delux" unit, which features a full kitchen, a separate sleeping area and a sleeper sofa, which is very nice just in case you need it. I have had two minor service requests, which were handled promptly, and the room is cleaned spotless every week right on schedule. The front office staff has been, without exception, very friendly, helpful and professional. The building and grounds give a very good first impression when driving up, and there is ample parking on all but times when the hotel is fully occupied. I will be moving out to an apartment in a couple of weeks, but only because I need a little more room (and more than one small window). The only other complaint I have is that the bed is a little lacking in sleep comfort -- maybe it's time for a new one.

Room Tip: Go the extra few bucks for the deluxe room. You get a few more amenities, and a little more room...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at our hotel and for noticing our great location. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. It sounds like we hit a home run in your case!

Basehor, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

The rooms where big enought for my family. I love it! The price was great! They have good deals on families who go out town for softball, I would stay there again, I just didnt like they dont have a garbage disposal, but overall is a great hotel to stay in. The people where very nice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at our hotel. We strive to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, especially with the in-room kitchen, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Nice, large rooms with a fully equipped kitchen. Very clean. Friendly staff. Best price in town. Be sure you bring your own shampoo and hair dryer though.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Studio Plus Des Moines - West Des Moines. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

Piedmont, South Carolina, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

where to begin. Disgusting. Old. Outdated. NOT WORTH YOUR MONEY. the site makes it seem suitable, however this is the worse hotel stay we have ever had. Id rather stay at motel 6..and would have but the hag at the desk would not refund our money EVEN though we had not even brought our bags in. We are staying in des moines for 2+ weeks due to an ill relative in the hospital and just simply wanted a comfortable stay. Its so bad that we have already booked rooms elsewhere. This property has very HIGH DRUG TRAFFIC and is used as apartments for the "less fotunate" There is mold allll over the bathroom and shower..has not been scrubbed in a long time. carpet is horrible, walls are filthy and the tv is a joke..you cant even see the thing. The staff was not helpful or even concerned about losing the two weeks worth of money. PLEASE do not waste your time or money..i would hate to see anyone else go through what we have. We drove straight through from south carolina and was hoping to check in and get snuggled right in. i dont even want to take my shoes off let alone get in the bed.

Room Tip: Take the time to drive around and find somewhere else!!!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
I recently received a copy of your review of the Studio Plus Des Moines - West Des Moines. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Ventura, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I am giving this facility an "excellent" this time because the smell of smoke was literally gone from the establishment. There was a very faint odor of smoke in the elevator but compared to last year....it is a day and night difference!

We were very pleased with the changes.

Room Tip: I did ask for the "best" room they could give me and I got a corner room with two very lar...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Phoenix
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

When we stay for a long project (5+ days) I like to have the option to cook meals. This Studio+ location even had an oven, so I was able to bake a Pineapple Upside Down cake.

PROS: The "rooms" are full-size studios - a galley kitchen, entry hall with closet & dresser, large living room with sofa, coffee table, side chair, side tables. Off to 1 side are the 2 beds with nighttable off of the bathroom. An office-manager set-up rather than hotel front desk makes you feel like this is your personal office with studio living arrangement.

CONS: Beds are old, saggy and desperately need replacing. Very limited kitchen necessties.

Everything was clean and well-kept, just dated and not top-of-the-line fit & finish.

New Sealy Posture-pedic beds and a complete set of kitchen tools (pots/pans/baking dish/ storage containers/ spatula) would change my rating of this location from a 3 to a 5.

We would return again, but would bring our own kitchen tools to be able to really enjoy cooking & the oven during our stay. We bought too many groceries during our last stay, so had to leave a lot behind.

Room Tip: 1 elevator to all floors, centrally located in the middle of the T building layout. Some rooms on th...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines? Share your experiences!