“Great place for the price. YOU SHOUlD STAY HERE” 3 of 5 stars

Valley West Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3535 Westown Parkway, West Des Moines, IA 50266   |
Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in West Des Moines
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Great place for the price. YOU SHOUlD STAY HERE”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Great place for the money. We got a room with two comfortable beds and slept well . The place could use a bit on a remodel but for the price you will not find any hotel with this much to offer. Nice quite , well built hotel and just a bit off of I-80 in west Des Moine.

Room Tip: Book on hotwire for a great price.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Dallas J, General Manager at Valley West Inn, responded to this review, yesterday
Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback. I am happy to hear that you found the beds comfortable and enjoyed our amenities. We are currently working on making some updates to some of our room types as well as updating some of the hallways. I hope the next time you are in the area you will visit us again and see the updates we have made. Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Staying five nights. First day, no housekeeping service. Stopped by morning of second day at front desk to complain and was told specific note made to clean the room. No housekeeping on second day also. Had to go the front desk after returning that night to deliver trash and pick up toilet paper and towels. Wifi also inconsistent. We'll see if the third day is the lucky charm.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2015

The lobby was nice. The girl at the front desk seemed like she didn't really want to be at work. When I called to make the reservation, I had requested to have 2 rooms that were right next to each other and I was told that that would be feasible. When I checked in however I was given rooms 214 and 204, which are 5 doors apart from each other. When I questioned the staff member, she informed me that this was how it had to be because of the way the rooms had already been checked out. I told her that I had requested to have the rooms next to each other, so she began to switch things around. However when she went to look for rooms, there were many that she could not put us in because they had not been cleaned yet. She had a manager or supervisor come down to the front desk and the lady said that she would clean a room for me so that we could have our 2 rooms next to each other. I thanked her and went to the room that was already clean. The area we entered to get to our room was not nearly as nice as the lobby. In the room, it appeared that there was blood on 1 of the comforters and when we pulled it back, there were holes in the fitted sheet. The bed skirt looked like it had been hot-glued on at 1 point but was coming off now.
I went back to the front desk and the girl that checked me in apologized and moved us to another room, mentioning that she would discount the cost of the rooms. The next room which was on the other side of the room to be cleaned was much better but both beds were hoisted up with the plastic risers. This made me nervous but at least the bedding appeared to be cleaner.
When we finally got into the second room, I was disgusted again. The rolled baseboard was peeling off the walls in several spots, 1 of the pillow cases was ripped, 1 comforter had something black smeared on it (apparently a railroad worker had stayed in there and the supervisor who said she'd clean the room mentioned that only 1 bed would need to be changed because they only sleep in 1 bed), the fitted sheet in that bed has holes, and the pillow had seen better days. I actually went to the first room and stole a pillow so I didn't feel so gross. Needless to say, my family and I are not sleeping well tonight as we don't even want to crawl under the comforters. I wish I would have gone with a hotel I'd been to before rather than going for something cheap.
The rooms are supposed to be remodeled.... If that's remodeled, I'd hate to see what they originally looked like.

• Stayed January 2015
Dallas J, General Manager at Valley West Inn, responded to this review, January 20, 2015
Crystal H,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your recent visit. I apologize for the issues you experienced at our property and we will use your comments to better our operation and training efforts. In regards to the request for rooms right next to each other, we do our best to meet any requests that our guests make, unfortunately not all of them can be accommodated as there are many factors that go into meeting these requests in which case we try to get as close as possible to the request. I am sorry for the confusion in regards to the rooms that we are updating as well as those are not yet completed and open for guests to stay in, the rooms that you were in unfortunately have not undergone the updates at this time. Again I am sorry for the issues you experienced with our property and hope that if you are ever in the area again you will stop in to see what our updated rooms have to offer.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2015

The Staffing r awesome to take care of everything I need and want my room is clean every week this is a great place to stay for a long term they are very helpful give me clean towels whenever I want them they are very very friendly I rate this place a 5 star rating

Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Dallas J, General Manager at Valley West Inn, responded to this review, January 19, 2015
Thank you for taking the time to give us your comments. I am happy to hear that you have been enjoying your stay with us and that our staff has been taking good care of you.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2015

My family and I stayed at this hotel on our trip to visit family in the area. I was immediately impressed when I walked into the lobby. It felt very welcoming/clean and the staff was extremely helpful from the moment we arrived and throughout our stay. We were close to shopping and nice restaurants. The rooms were clean and roomy. I would definitely stay again the next time we are in town.

• Stayed December 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback. I am happy to hear that you found our rooms clean and our staff helpful and friendly. We hope to see you again soon.
WEST BURLINGTON
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2014 via mobile

The outside and lobby look amazing...but once you enter the hotel it is very dirty, smells throughout the hotel, my room was filthy...but I guess that's what I get for $60 a night. Scariest part was....you could enter the back by the pool with no key...that screams unsafe.

• Stayed December 2014
Dallas J, General Manager at Valley West Inn, responded to this review, December 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I appreciate you bringing the back entrance key issue to our attention, we did have a lock stop working properly and have made the corrections to it so that a guest room key is required for entry again. I am sorry to hear of the cleanliness concerns and we will use your comments to help ensure we are meeting our guests expectations.
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2014

I recently stayed here for a few days and found it to have a good price/quality ratio. The rooms can be booked at 70 dollars a night and are large with a desk, TV, fridge and decent sized bathroom. The location is great, since Valley West Mall is a 5 minute walk and if you don't have a car, the dart bus is very accessible. I have some critics of this place however:
1) the hotel could use some renovations as it is worn out. For instance, I had a crack in my bathtub.
2) the walls are thin, which means if someone talked a little loud or took a shower, I could hear it. Depending on where you are located, this could be disruptive.
3) ironically, I was not greeted all that well, despite this being the Midwest. The receptionist just acted like he didn't care all that much, though maybe because I checked in late at night! My checkout was very efficient and friendly on contrast (different receptionist).
4) 20mins from airport- could be worse though!

Overall, I believe I would stay here again. It is well located and is cheap for what you get. If you are on a budget, this may just be the place for you!

Room Tip: The hotel has a small nightclub. Try to ask for a room away from it, so you don't get disrupted...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to hear that you found out price to quality ration good. Thank you for providing us with some of the areas that we can improve on as well, without this information it is difficult for us to improve our operation.

Been to Valley West Inn? Share your experiences!