“You get what you pay for...” 2 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3535 Westown Parkway, West Des Moines, IA 50266   |
Offers & Announcements
$10 off room rate
Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in West Des Moines
“You get what you pay for...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

The lobby was nice. The girl at the front desk seemed like she didn't really want to be at work. When I called to make the reservation, I had requested to have 2 rooms that were right next to each other and I was told that that would be feasible. When I checked in however I was given rooms 214 and 204, which are 5 doors apart from each other. When I questioned the staff member, she informed me that this was how it had to be because of the way the rooms had already been checked out. I told her that I had requested to have the rooms next to each other, so she began to switch things around. However when she went to look for rooms, there were many that she could not put us in because they had not been cleaned yet. She had a manager or supervisor come down to the front desk and the lady said that she would clean a room for me so that we could have our 2 rooms next to each other. I thanked her and went to the room that was already clean. The area we entered to get to our room was not nearly as nice as the lobby. In the room, it appeared that there was blood on 1 of the comforters and when we pulled it back, there were holes in the fitted sheet. The bed skirt looked like it had been hot-glued on at 1 point but was coming off now.
I went back to the front desk and the girl that checked me in apologized and moved us to another room, mentioning that she would discount the cost of the rooms. The next room which was on the other side of the room to be cleaned was much better but both beds were hoisted up with the plastic risers. This made me nervous but at least the bedding appeared to be cleaner.
When we finally got into the second room, I was disgusted again. The rolled baseboard was peeling off the walls in several spots, 1 of the pillow cases was ripped, 1 comforter had something black smeared on it (apparently a railroad worker had stayed in there and the supervisor who said she'd clean the room mentioned that only 1 bed would need to be changed because they only sleep in 1 bed), the fitted sheet in that bed has holes, and the pillow had seen better days. I actually went to the first room and stole a pillow so I didn't feel so gross. Needless to say, my family and I are not sleeping well tonight as we don't even want to crawl under the comforters. I wish I would have gone with a hotel I'd been to before rather than going for something cheap.
The rooms are supposed to be remodeled.... If that's remodeled, I'd hate to see what they originally looked like.

• Stayed January 2015
Dallas J, General Manager at Valley West Inn, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Crystal H,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your recent visit. I apologize for the issues you experienced at our property and we will use your comments to better our operation and training efforts. In regards to the request for rooms right next to each other, we do our best to meet any requests that our guests make, unfortunately not all of them can be accommodated as there are many factors that go into meeting these requests in which case we try to get as close as possible to the request. I am sorry for the confusion in regards to the rooms that we are updating as well as those are not yet completed and open for guests to stay in, the rooms that you were in unfortunately have not undergone the updates at this time. Again I am sorry for the issues you experienced with our property and hope that if you are ever in the area again you will stop in to see what our updated rooms have to offer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The Staffing r awesome to take care of everything I need and want my room is clean every week this is a great place to stay for a long term they are very helpful give me clean towels whenever I want them they are very very friendly I rate this place a 5 star rating

Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Dallas J, General Manager at Valley West Inn, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Thank you for taking the time to give us your comments. I am happy to hear that you have been enjoying your stay with us and that our staff has been taking good care of you.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

My family and I stayed at this hotel on our trip to visit family in the area. I was immediately impressed when I walked into the lobby. It felt very welcoming/clean and the staff was extremely helpful from the moment we arrived and throughout our stay. We were close to shopping and nice restaurants. The rooms were clean and roomy. I would definitely stay again the next time we are in town.

• Stayed December 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback. I am happy to hear that you found our rooms clean and our staff helpful and friendly. We hope to see you again soon.
WEST BURLINGTON
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2014

The outside and lobby look amazing...but once you enter the hotel it is very dirty, smells throughout the hotel, my room was filthy...but I guess that's what I get for $60 a night. Scariest part was....you could enter the back by the pool with no key...that screams unsafe.

• Stayed December 2014
Dallas J, General Manager at Valley West Inn, responded to this review, December 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I appreciate you bringing the back entrance key issue to our attention, we did have a lock stop working properly and have made the corrections to it so that a guest room key is required for entry again. I am sorry to hear of the cleanliness concerns and we will use your comments to help ensure we are meeting our guests expectations.
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2014

I recently stayed here for a few days and found it to have a good price/quality ratio. The rooms can be booked at 70 dollars a night and are large with a desk, TV, fridge and decent sized bathroom. The location is great, since Valley West Mall is a 5 minute walk and if you don't have a car, the dart bus is very accessible. I have some critics of this place however:
1) the hotel could use some renovations as it is worn out. For instance, I had a crack in my bathtub.
2) the walls are thin, which means if someone talked a little loud or took a shower, I could hear it. Depending on where you are located, this could be disruptive.
3) ironically, I was not greeted all that well, despite this being the Midwest. The receptionist just acted like he didn't care all that much, though maybe because I checked in late at night! My checkout was very efficient and friendly on contrast (different receptionist).
4) 20mins from airport- could be worse though!

Overall, I believe I would stay here again. It is well located and is cheap for what you get. If you are on a budget, this may just be the place for you!

Room Tip: The hotel has a small nightclub. Try to ask for a room away from it, so you don't get disrupted...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to hear that you found out price to quality ration good. Thank you for providing us with some of the areas that we can improve on as well, without this information it is difficult for us to improve our operation.
Hickory, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2014

We were on a 12 day road trip. The hotel we were to stay in was overbooked and they moved us to this dump. Room was nasty and stunk!! The air unit was very loud. This was on the bottom of our 'Best Hotels' list! Would not recommend!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am sorry to hear that the hotel you originally booked oversold and had to relocate you. We take pride in providing a clean hotel and will use your comments to ensure we are providing clean rooms. Thank you again for your feedback.
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014

We walked into this hotel and were greeted by two employees smoking on the lobby couch. They were friendly, but it was unprofessional. The carpet in our room was damp, we can only hope it was because it had been recently shampooed. The desk chair and recliner were stained with years of grime, there was a hole in the bathroom wall, there was a spot on the wall where a mirror had been ripped off at some point. The room was old and worn. The pool area was grimy and had what looked like black mold on the ceiling. It was not a place that we will return to. We only stayed because it was a quick stop over on a longer trip, and we didn't have to be there very long.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We have used your comments to ensure that our staff is trained better and more capable of servicing our hotel. In regards to employees smoking on the lobby couch I can assure you that will be investigated as we do not allow smoking in the building by employees or guests. Thank you again for providing us with your feedback.

Been to Valley West Inn? Share your experiences!