“Won't stay here again” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in West Des Moines
WEST BURLINGTON
“Won't stay here again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The outside and lobby look amazing...but once you enter the hotel it is very dirty, smells throughout the hotel, my room was filthy...but I guess that's what I get for $60 a night. Scariest part was....you could enter the back by the pool with no key...that screams unsafe.

• Stayed December 2014
Dallas J, General Manager at Valley West Inn, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I appreciate you bringing the back entrance key issue to our attention, we did have a lock stop working properly and have made the corrections to it so that a guest room key is required for entry again. I am sorry to hear of the cleanliness concerns and we will use your comments to help ensure we are meeting our guests expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2014

I recently stayed here for a few days and found it to have a good price/quality ratio. The rooms can be booked at 70 dollars a night and are large with a desk, TV, fridge and decent sized bathroom. The location is great, since Valley West Mall is a 5 minute walk and if you don't have a car, the dart bus is very accessible. I have some critics of this place however:
1) the hotel could use some renovations as it is worn out. For instance, I had a crack in my bathtub.
2) the walls are thin, which means if someone talked a little loud or took a shower, I could hear it. Depending on where you are located, this could be disruptive.
3) ironically, I was not greeted all that well, despite this being the Midwest. The receptionist just acted like he didn't care all that much, though maybe because I checked in late at night! My checkout was very efficient and friendly on contrast (different receptionist).
4) 20mins from airport- could be worse though!

Overall, I believe I would stay here again. It is well located and is cheap for what you get. If you are on a budget, this may just be the place for you!

Room Tip: The hotel has a small nightclub. Try to ask for a room away from it, so you don't get disrupted...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to hear that you found out price to quality ration good. Thank you for providing us with some of the areas that we can improve on as well, without this information it is difficult for us to improve our operation.
Hickory, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2014

We were on a 12 day road trip. The hotel we were to stay in was overbooked and they moved us to this dump. Room was nasty and stunk!! The air unit was very loud. This was on the bottom of our 'Best Hotels' list! Would not recommend!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am sorry to hear that the hotel you originally booked oversold and had to relocate you. We take pride in providing a clean hotel and will use your comments to ensure we are providing clean rooms. Thank you again for your feedback.
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014

We walked into this hotel and were greeted by two employees smoking on the lobby couch. They were friendly, but it was unprofessional. The carpet in our room was damp, we can only hope it was because it had been recently shampooed. The desk chair and recliner were stained with years of grime, there was a hole in the bathroom wall, there was a spot on the wall where a mirror had been ripped off at some point. The room was old and worn. The pool area was grimy and had what looked like black mold on the ceiling. It was not a place that we will return to. We only stayed because it was a quick stop over on a longer trip, and we didn't have to be there very long.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We have used your comments to ensure that our staff is trained better and more capable of servicing our hotel. In regards to employees smoking on the lobby couch I can assure you that will be investigated as we do not allow smoking in the building by employees or guests. Thank you again for providing us with your feedback.
Cersco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

I have stayed at this location on and off for 30 years, but I am sad to report it's dying a slow death. The whole place especially the back part is run down. My room was OK and I think clean but the sheets were old and stained which creeped me out. Old style TV. Hotel has a great location but for some reason there is lots of sketchy looking people around but I have never had any problem. I hope they can renovate this property but for now I will look elsewhere

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am happy to hear from a long time guest. We are currently working on some plans to improve the hotel and bring it back to life. Thank you again for your time.
Nebraska City, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

This is an older hotel but very clean and it looks like they are working hard to keep up the property. Check In clerk and morning clerk very helpful and cheerful. It was a bit hard to find. A bit off the main street, did not see the sign and had to back track a couple of times. Please be aware that there are stairs. Even though we were on the first floor we had two short flights of stairs to maneuver with our luggage.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent visit. I am happy to hear you found out hotel clean and staff helpful and cheerful. We are working hard to find ways to improve our hotel as well. Thank you again for taking the time to give your feedback.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

We stayed overnight and the room was dirty and the maintenance issues alone should have kept them from renting room 202. The toilet would not flush, the hand washing sink had a bucket under the pipes 1/2 full, the bed was 1/2 way off the frame, the shower would not turn on with out pulling hard on the spout then it barley sprayed. cleanliness issues were a hand towel with makeup stains all over a bath towel with pupic hair, blood on the door frame of the bathroom, the carpets were stained. It was nasty.

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your stay. We take pride in offering a clean and friendly hotel at an affordable price. When we fail to meet those expectations it is unacceptable and we will use your feedback to review with the staff on what our expectations are. I am truly sorry to hear that we did not meet these basic expectations during your stay and I thank you for taking the time to inform us of these issues.

Been to Valley West Inn? Share your experiences!