“A wonderful stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in West Des Moines
Iowa City, Iowa
“A wonderful stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

I hadn't planned on stopping in Des Moines, but bad weather forced us to stop for the night. The desk staff was very friendly, as was all of the staff we encountered. Our room was beautifully maintained, clean (a huge pet peeve of mine) and quiet. I never heard the neighbors, which is hard to find in a hotel.

I travel through Des Moines/West Des Moines several times a year and I will now be staying at this Sheraton for my stays. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

Just a one night visit to the area for a football game. We booked through the www.spg.com website, getting a good rate for a full service hotel. Think in terms of an Embassy Suites, rooms on the outside with a large floor to ceiling area in the middle. The noise from the atrium wasn't noticeable up on the 8th floor, but I think that if you were on a lower floor, it could be an issue. The room was nice but the bathroom was extremely small, which was typical for the era that the hotel was built. We will stay here again if the price is right, but there are lots of other places available on University that have easier access to your room.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Wapello, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

We booked an overnight stay and must say we were very pleased with the staff, whom were very helpful and courteous, and the room was very comfortable. The location was great... right off the interstate and right on University Avenue.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

I would say there's nothing special about this hotel, which is what I expected coming in--its a category 2 hotel. I booked using starpoints to visit my sister who lives in Waukee, IA, so the location was great as its right on University Ave. Nothing is really walking distance but that's to be expected in West Des Moines, and there are good restaurants and bars only a few miles away. Overall no complaints, pretty basic stay and good value.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Midwest, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

I stay at this hotel on business every summer, and have never been disappointed. The location is top notch, being right next to the interstate and also a major east-west thoroughfare in town.
Every staff member I've encountered has been fantastic, and seems to actually care if I'm satisfied or not. I mean, it doesn't seem like the usual act, which is odd in a good way.
The hotel is not new, but has been maintained well and is in great condition. The rooms are lovely, and cleanliness can be observed at more than a superficial level.
I can't comment on the restaurant, as I've never eaten there. Speaking of restaurants, there are many others within walking distance.
Last little bonus: It doesn't matter how old I get, glass elevators are always a tiny bit fun. :-)

Room Tip: If you like sleeping with white noise in the background, ask for a room near the waterfall.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

I stayed here for three days on a business trip. The staff was exceptional! Truly exceptional with sincere midwest hospitality. The hotel building appears to be a former Doubletree hotel. The hotel is 100% smoke free.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Redcliff
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

I was really looking forward to this hotel and was completely disappointed with the stay. We were a family with young children and I got the sense that the front desk really didn't want to deal with us and would have preferred that we were business people like everyone else. The room itself smelled really bad, like really gross body odour. The worst part of the stay was that there was a bar of soap in the toilet left by the previous guests. I didn't want to pick it out with my bare hands so I called housekeeping thinking that they would be able to get rid of it cleanly. The housekeeper had a pair of latex gloves on but flushed the toilet with the glove still on - thereby defeating the entire purpose of wearing gloves and contaminating the toilet handle. To top it off, the guy was so clumsy that he dropped a piece of the toilet soap on the floor. I didn't say anything about any of it fearing that it would just make things worse. I wish they would have just given me the glove and I could have handled it in a clean manner. That whole experience really made me wonder about the cleanliness of the seemingly clean room. The other thing that bugged me was that the hot water took forever to come on. The only good note that I can think of is the free parking which isn’t that common for a Sheraton. I think that I happened to have a bad experience but that that most people probably have a good one here. Based on my hunch, I would be willing to stay here again but I can't give a good review for the stay I just had.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel? Share your experiences!