“A couple of things” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in West Des Moines
Overland Park, Kansas
“A couple of things”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

A couple of things to watch out for if considering this Marriott. One is you have to drive to just about anything (Des Moines is 10 miles East) and if you are not a gold level Marriott then you will pay for food and Internet access. They did resolve an Internet access issue quickly but it added to my work day. The Starbucks in the lobby is nice but it doesn't open up until 0630. The room and furnishings were top notch and it helped to be at the end of the hall away from the elevators (near stairwell).

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Rob P,

It’s wonderful to know you enjoyed our modern rooms and Starbucks. I’m so sorry for the frustration you experienced with Wi-Fi. I appreciate you sharing your sincere review with us and other travelers; this allows us to improve future stays. Our team strives to be your hotel of choice when in the West Des Moines area.

Kind Regards,
Lisa Tuller, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Sparland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Stayed at this property for 3 nights while attending a GoodGuys car show in Des Moines (it was the host hotel recommended by them). We attend the car show each year but this was our first experience with this hotel. Room rate was reasonable ($92/night for 2 adults not including taxes). It was obvious this is a 'business' hotel (conference rooms, ect.), and in general the property was very clean and well maintained. I requested a handicapped accessible room on the main floor which was very nice.
That said, I did notice several things that made me decide not to stay there again. First, there was no free internet service in the rooms. The only free internet service was available in the lobby area and it was extremely slow (I'm sure to entice annoyed guests to purchase the in-room internet service for either $10/day or 'premium' internet in-room service for $15/day). They also charged you for internet service in the conference rooms. I mean REALLY, charging for internet service? I'm sure business travelers could write-off the charge to their business accounts but I was not impressed that I had to go to the lobby each time I wanted to check my email. Secondly, on Saturday morning it was raining and rather than go out for breakfast, we decided to eat at the hotel. My wife asked to substitute something on the menu and was told there would be an additional charge (the request was not significant). Food was O.K. (I had an omlette and english muffin, she had oatmeal and we both had coffee), the final bill was $24. Not worth the 'premium' price in my opinion. Third and last was the swimming pool. It was very nice, there was an abundance of towels and I noticed there were handicapped lifts for both the pool and the hot tub (seldom seen at many hotels). However, I noticed the tile around the pool walls was dirty and stained and appeared to not have been cleaned for some time. I could easily wipe-off the accumulation with my fingers indicating that the cleanliness of the pool is lacking.
In all, we had a pleasant stay and were somewhat satisfied, but the internet, meal substitution charges and lack of attention to the pool cleanliness will cause us to look elsewhere when we return next year for the annual car show in Des Moines.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Carl H,

Thank you for taking the time to write. I am happy to hear that overall you had a pleasant stay. I apologize for your disappointment with internet, cost & pool tile cleanliness. I appreciate you sharing our strengths along with areas of opportunity. It is feedback like yours which allows us to impact future guest experiences.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

The Marriott has been the headquarters hotel for a classic car show my husband and I have been attending for several years. The entire hotel has gone through a beautiful renovation in the last couple of years. Alas, looks aren't everything. We discovered a few things during our recent stay: In-room internet is no longer free! Sorry, but I'm not one to sit in the lobby in my jammies reading or playing Facebook games. The reno must have been expensive! Also, I almost fell off the toilet trying to reach the toilet paper. What a odd place for the paper holder. One bar of soap to move between the sink and the shower and one bath towel per person. I tried not to get the towel too wet drying my body before I wrapped my hair in it. Some things never change, though. Service in the restaurant was characteristically bad. Understaffed and slow. For just a few bucks more - and a free breakfast - we'll stay at the hotel across the parking lot from now on.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Joni O,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. This is definitely not up to our standards and we are constantly working on improving the quality of service provided. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments regarding internet, toiletries and food service. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Nick Agnus provided the best service that I have had at any hotel that I have been to in this area. He was kind, attentive, and made sure that our time at the hotel was as productive as possible. I highly recommend you request his help when having an event here.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear Will,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am so glad to know that your time at West Des Moines Marriott was productive. I look forward to sharing your kind comments with Nick Agnus and hope to see you again on your next trip to the area.

Warmest Regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Went here for a meeting, best space I've experienced in a long time. We got a nice space to work, plenty of food and water throughout the day, and a lunch that was delicious.

Options for vegetarians, and a large variety of beverages to choose from. Nick frequently checked in on us for anything additional needs without being a bother, and responded efficiently with those needs.

Great spot for a meal or a small business meeting.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
It’s wonderful to hear that our staff was friendly and accommodating to your requests. I'm delighted to know you enjoyed our many vegetarian food selections. I will share your kind feedback with Nick. We look forward to your next visit.
Best,
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

My organization was in a pinch to find a training location for new staff coming into the state. We needed the space quickly, in a private area, food provided and needed this for two entire days. I spoke with Nick Agnus, the restaurant manager, and he was an incredible help! He offered the private dining room because the conference rooms were booked, secured a projector and screen for us, set the tables and took care of all the eating arrangements. We had a wonderful training and overall experience at the hotel because of Nick and all of his help making this event a success! We will definitely come back and recommend this location to others.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review. I'm happy to hear that you found our staff friendly and helpful, and that you were able to accomplish your training goals. I will share your kind feedback with Nick. We hope to host your next event!
Best,
Sergeant Bluff, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Where to begin, booked a room for my 2 daughters and I and our 2 small dogs because we went to the CHER concert in DM. Arrived on a Sunday night. After we got our dogs settled and all our luggage in (which was very inconvenient making 2 trips all the way thru the lobby and up to our room way down the hall on the 7th floor) they offered help w luggage, but we like to handle our own bags. So by the time everything got settled into the room we were hungry and went out for a bite. We went across the street and got some Taco Johns and decided we were too tired to eat in the restaurant and were just going to eat it in our car in the parking lot of the hotel because we didn't want to lug it all up (in front of the front desk) up to the room and deal with the trash in the room. The parking lot was full and we picked an out of the way spot (under a light mind you) to eat. About 10 minutes later 2 men approached our car in a brisk manner from behind and scared us to death when they began shining their big mag light flashlights into our vehicle, temporarily blinding my 12 year old in the back seat. We had our dome light on the whole time and were full on chowing down, it was no mystery as to what we were doing. I was in the passenger seat and I rolled the window down and one of the men in a very stern voice asked me "Just what do you think you are doing? WHAT is going on here?" I said, "We are eating (gesturing at my full lap of quesadilla) and we are guests at this hotel and didn't want to drag our food into the lobby, just eat it in the car." Then I gave him my room number and full name. They had announced themselves as hotel "security" but later it seemed it was the front desk night clerk and the janitor. The desk clerk then said very sternly again, "well we have had some burglaries in the south lot and someone thought they were in a white car........AND YOU ARE IN A WHITE CAR (very accusingly). I just looked at him puzzled--get the visual, a mom and her 16 yr old and her 12 year old daughter knee deep in tacos in a 2014 Dodge Journey and these guys are still on the fence about us? We were hardly the picture of "security risk". I told him we would be in in just a few minutes as were were finishing up our meal and would park somewhere else in the lot. Then he says, "ok, well......let us know if you "need" us".. Even after I announce we were guests at the hotel they still were treating us like criminals. Furthermore, the following night after the concert we got back to the hotel after 11pm. Went out to eat again (after checking on dogs and taking them outside) and EVERY time we would parade in front of the hotel desk clerk (same guy that approached car) he would glance up at us disapprovingly and at 12:30am when we came in for the night, he said through gritted teeth, "morning". As though were were sneaking in and our dad caught us. I am a 45 year old woman, it was just so uncomfortable. Like he was judging us for being out late or something (it bears mentioning we were all dressed very nice, not like we were scummy/dirty people trying to fit in at a fancy hotel). We were ideal guests, quiet, our dogs quiet and not destructive, held our dogs when in the hotel elevator, halls and lobby and I had never felt more unwelcome. Furthermore, there were only 3 towels for a room that could hold 4 people, the floor in room by front door was uneven, coffee service for only 2 people, not pet friendly, they accept pets but it's a pain to parade down through the lobby with them-especially when you keep getting "the look", vending machine on 7th didn't work, only 1 roll of TP in room, top of back of toilet lid had been broken and crudely glued back together, no fridge or micro, internet is NOT free, bathroom drain slow and weird hairs all over shower ceiling, notepad had one sheet left on it. Just no attention to detail by housekeeping. Elevators are small (warning claustrophobics). The "parking lot incident" is what we will remember the most about what was to be a great girls out trip with my kids. It's all they could talk about, we just kept saying, "I can't believe that happened!". It seems like the guests they would prefer are the business travelers with no pets and expense accounts. We paid $159 a night for 2 nights and there was $75 pet fee plus $4.50 tax on the pet fee (unrefundable even if no damage which there wasn't in our case). After all the state and occupancy taxes our final bill was $435.66 for 2 nights and it was the worst money ever spent. We would have rather stayed somewhere friendlier (will next time) for a cheaper price and shopped with the difference we spent at the Marriott. Will not be back and will tell our friends who frequent DM not to stay their either. You will also be getting some bad press from our daughter that lives in DM as she tells her acquaintaces. It's funny too, you can see in the catalog that the bedding set costs about $4000, but when there is not enough TP in the room, that really doesn't matter does it? I am expecting the "canned response" from management "apologizing" for our "unusual bad experience" in their hotel, but it really doesn't matter. Damage done. On a lighter note, CHER AND CYNDI LAUPER WERE AWESOME!

Room Tip: 7th floor was quiet all night for us. Little spooky quiet in fact. Was a lot of construction noise a...