“Overall great, with caveats” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in West Des Moines
Kansas City, Missouri
“Overall great, with caveats”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Fabulous, hip room redesigns. Get a one-bedroom suite if possible. Nice new flat-screen TVs, but hard to find regular channels and too-slow surfing. Front desk staff very nice, but restaurant hostess needs some training. Grim demeanor. Also, when she was clearing breakfast table settings for lunch, she gripped the clean glasses with her fingers and thumbs inside, even though they were being stored for use the next morning. Unsanitary to say the least.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Kevin M,
Thank you for your review. We're glad you stayed with us at West Des Moines Marriott Hotel. I appreciate your feedback and will review your comments with our restaurant staff. I'm pleased you liked our hotel and staff. We hope you'll come and visit us again soon.
Lisa Tuller, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I stayed at the Marriott for a business meeting in early December and was surprised and pleased to see a lot of updates and new, modern touches. I have stayed at this property on and off for more than 10 years and was impressed with the new lobby, the bar and dining area. The staff were friendly and helpful and presented the always-high level of Marriott customer service. My room was spacious and nicely appointed. The heating unit was quiet, the bathroom was in good condition and I enjoyed my stay. The price seemed a bit high compared to other properties in the area but otherwise it was a very nice property.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
GOmaha,
It's great to hear from you and receive a wonderful review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and we're delighted to have had you as our guest. I'm pleased you liked our property, staff, and spacious rooms. We hope you'll continue to visit us when traveling to Des Moines. We look forward to seeing you again.
Aurora, CO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed at this hotel one night on a cross country road trip (I-80). Positive was the ease of reservation (48hours prior to arrival), location of hotel (easy to spot from freeway, has large well lit parking lot), and service (very helpful at check-in and got quick/good room service although I ordered just as kitchen was closing). Also nice was the very good price for the room.
Now, the room itself was spacious, without imminent luxury, but with solid ammenities. Room had a stale smell upon entering (like nobody had been there in a long time), which imporved with turning on the AC fan, but when I turned up the heat the room filled with a smell of burned plastic, which also eventually cleared. All this would have been acceptable, except for the stain on the bed sheet, which was in a suspicous location, and indicating either unclean sheets or poor success with washing them. Decided not to change the room (had so little time to sleep).
My advice, if the stain doesn't come out the first time, throw away the sheet. The (appearance of) unclean bed sheets will doom the reputation of a hotel every time.
If it wouldn't have been for that issue the experience would have been a good one.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
ConcordHospitality, Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
G S,
Thank you for your review. We're pleased you chose to stay with us at Marriott Hotel. I appreciate your feedback and will make sure to act on it right away. Your satisfaction is important to us. Please accept my apology for your unsatisfied experience. We hope you'll have another opportunity to visit us as we hope to provide a more positive experience.
Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed at the Marriott West Des Moines hotel for the 3rd time and I felt compelled to write a review. For the past 7 years my wife and I stay in West Des Moines for a weekend and go Christmas shopping at Jordan Creek Mall. We have stayed at several hotels in the area and find this to be the best option.

The location is close to great restaurants, shopping center, and access to the interstate. We appreciate the great service each time with the front desk folks. There is a nice restaurant/bar area that we utilize. The rooms are very clean and updated, and the bed is extremely comfortable. We will continue booking our stay in this hotel every December.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
DJB21,
It's great to hear from you, our special December guests, and receive such a wonderful review. We're delighted to have you stay with us during your shopping exertions to Jordan Creek Mall. We're also glad you like our warm and friendly staff, and I hope they add a little to your special time here. Please keep staying with us! We enjoy having you as our guests.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed with a group of 35 people for a soccer tourney. They put a $50 a night charge on our debit card....huh? Ridiculous! Restaurant host was rude. Gentleman at desk was very friendly. Overpriced in my opinion.

• Stayed October 2012
ConcordHospitality, Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Jodicamp916,
Thank you for your feedback. We value your business and appreciate you staying with us. We're pleased to have had you and your group stay with us, and we hope to see you again.
Doha, Qatar
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

It's a big chain hotel in an inner-ring suburb, and pretty much what you'd expect.

No real complaints about my room, which was clean and comfortable. The wireless internet had an annoying habit of dropping out for a minute or two at a time, which, if you're traveling on business and need to upload large files, turns out to be a big problem.

Breakfast buffet was standard fare, and some mornings it wasn't particularly hot - not worth the $13 or $14 they charged for it. But the dinner options at their in-house restaurant were surprisingly tasty, for hotel fare. I was impressed.

Well-equipped gym with free weights and new cardio equipment, though there was a strange fungal smell in the hallway leading to the gym area. No laundry service on weekends, and during my stay their coin-op dryer was out of order, too.

All in all, though, for the rates they offer, it's a decent value for money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
glcarlstrom,
Thank you for your review. We enjoyed having you as our guest. I'm glad you liked your room, and particularly glad you had a nice dining experience at our restaurant. I apologize for the dryer being out of order at the time of your stay, and hope this didn't cause too much inconvenience for you. We welcome you to come and stay with us again the next time you visit the Des Moines area.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

On May 15, 2012, I wrote a review for a recent stay at the Marriott, in West Des Moines. At the time I wrote this review, I also emailed the Marriott, West Des Moines. Within a few days, I received a telephone call from the hotel management. After a discussion about the problems I encountered during my stay, the hotel sent me a gift card good for a stay at a Marriott. We used this gift card this past weekend at a Marriott in Ankeny, IA and thoroughly enjoyed our stay and the accommodations.

Thank you Marriott.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
BeverlyLR,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm pleased you were able to use your gift card and have an enjoyable weekend. Best wishes.

Been to West Des Moines Marriott? Share your experiences!