“First time stay for Anniversary” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 2+ Nights & Save 15%
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in West Des Moines
Shreveport, Louisiana
“First time stay for Anniversary”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We chose to stay here for our one year anniversary. There are a lot of restaurants and things to do in the area so it was a great choice. The checking in process was great and the room was extremely neat and clean. We had a jacuzzi suite which included a romance package, that unfortunately was non existing. We ordered it 2 hours ahead of time and after waiting 30 minutes after the requested time, I called to see what the holdup was. The clerk apologized and I assumed she would then have it sent up, still never received it all night. I was disappointed because this was a romantic weekend for our anniversary; not to mention we were paying for it. I addressed the issue with Ericka in the morning after a wonderful breakfast. She apologized and compensated us. All in all I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012
ConcordHospitality, Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
sid8705,
Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review about your stay with us at West Des Moines Marriott Hotel. We're pleased you chose to stay with us and had a pleasant visit. I apologize for the great mix up in not getting the romance package to you during your stay. I'm glad Ericka was able to work with you on this disappointing situation, and appreciate your recognition of her best efforts to keep you a satisfied guest. We would love for you to come and visit us again. Congratulations on your one year anniversary.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Ottumwa, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My family recently stayed at the Marriott West Des Moines. This hotel has been newly renovated. The room was very nice. There is a shuttle available to the mall for a small fee. There is a lobby bar and also a restaurant on the property. There was a charge for breakfast, which was our only disappointment.

Room Tip: Be sure specify that you desire two beds. We had requested two beds. When we arrived, there were o...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Traveler13333,
Thank you for writing a review about your stay with us at West Des Moines Marriott Hotel. We're very pleased you and your family stayed with us. I'm glad you liked our facility and found your room to be very nice. I hope you all enjoyed our surrounding area as well. We hope you will come and visit us again soon.
Kansas City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I'm really torn on how to rate this hotel.

When we tried to check in, the young lady helping us tried to put us in a king room on a lower floor rather than two doubles on the concierge level we reserved. She claimed that they don't EVER guarantee the bedding type and it's always what's available at check in. I explained that my wife, two kids and I will not fit into a king bed. She said she would be happy to give us a list of other hotels in Des Moines that could accommodate us.

I asked to speak to a supervisor, and he backed up what she said. I then asked to speak to the GM. I ended up waiting 15 minutes to talk to her.

When she came out, I explained the issue and also explained that we were part of a group that had reserved 16 rooms on the Concierge level for the weekend. I explained that while I was waiting, I talked to several other members of the group who all said their reservations were honored with the correct bedding. After 10 minutes of searching, she did get us a room with two beds, but not on the Concierge level.

If it were not for the professionalism of the GM (she did admit that it was their fault for overbooking double rooms), I would have given the hotel 1* for the lack of service.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
KCTrvlOftn,
Thank you for your review. We greatly value your business and appreciate you choosing West Des Moines Marriott Hotel. I'm grateful for your recognition of our best attempt to properly accomodate you and your family during your stay with us. I apologize for your check-in experience not being a pleasurable one, and hope this incident did not take away from you having a great time with your group. We cordially invite you to come and stay with us again as we ensure a more positive experience.
Ida Grove, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed at this motel September 1, 2012. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We ate in the dining area and the food was delicious and priced about the same as anywhere else. On Sunday morning we enjoyed a breakfast buffet with omelets made to order. A shuttle was available that would take you to area restraunts and the mall. There was a full gym with updated equipment located near the pool area. I did notice a musty odor in that area, but the rest of the hotel smelled clean. The rooms appeared to be recently refurbished, beds were comfortable. The bedding and pillows were perfect. The only problem with the room was the air conditioner; it "clunked" when it started and shut off but it was such a minute issue that we didn't bother to complain to the front desk. Overall it was an enjoyable stay with an impressive staff and we would definately stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
rejami ,

We would love for you to stay here again, Rejami. Thank you for your review and letting us know of your pleasant stay. We’re glad to hear you enjoyed our Two Rivers dining and breakfast buffet. And glad to know you found our rooms to be clean and comfortable. These are all nice things to hear from our guests. We hope you will return to Des Moines and stay with us again soon.

Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I stayed here for the weekend while doing some work in Iowa.

Pros:
* Great weekend rate <$110 a night
* Typical full service Marriott room
* Upgraded to a suite for the full weekend
* Pretty good bar food and happening bar areas
* Full gym with plenty of working equipment
* The concierge lounge puts on a spread in the evening (Closed on the weekends but open on Sunday evening before my departure on Monday morning).
* Very friendly and nice staff

Cons:

* It looks like the hotel has been refurbished recently especially in the rooms and lobby--spend a little money to make the elevators look new. Scratched and beat up elevators.
* Noticed a musty smell in the elevators and down the hallway leading to the fitness center

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
KentuckyDerbyfan,

Thank you for taking a moment and writing about your stay with us on TripAdvisor. We’re glad you were able to stay with us for the weekend and had a pleasant experience. Thank you for your compliments about our facility and staff. We invite you to come and stay with us again if you return to Des Moines for either business or leisure.

Edwardsville, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed at this motel July 16-20, 2012 when we attended International Ford Retractable Club National Convention. Our room was spacious and reliably cool. We asked for a small refrigerator to store medications and they were quick to bring one to the room. The elevators were in great condition and rarely did we have to wait for one.
The rooms used for our hospitlity room and banquet room were very nice. The banquet food was exceptional. Our waiter could have used more help in serving the tables because he had to walk the entire banquet floor carrying only 2 plates at a time. We wanted to offer our help to him. We felt sorry for him. Perhaps the hotel should consider a food cart when waiters must serve customers so far from kitchen entry.
The weather was very hot, but the hotel provided our club with plenty of cold water.
Because it was a convention of classic cars, the hotel provided us with amble room to park our tow vehicle and rig and space for access nightly to store our car.
Overall, we experienced great mid-west hospitality at this motel. Thank you.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Murphydd,

Welcome, IFRC Member, we’re very happy to have had you stay with us at Marriott. Thank you for taking a moment and writing a wonderful review on TripAdvisor about our facility and staff. I’m glad to hear that our staff was able to accommodate you well. We enjoyed your group and really liked looking at the spectacular classics parked outside of our hotel. We hope you will come and stay with us again.

Kind regards,
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Wonderful decor, restaurant was nice, beds were comfortable, but rooms were very smelly. I was moved to two different rooms on two different floors and both smelled like pungent dirty socks. Very musty. Not sure what the deal is...Marriott is always very reliable. Hard to believe I spent $189 for a malodorous, smelly room. I was told the hotel is booked and not many rooms were available as alternatives. I have a difficult time believing others have not complained.

Room Tip: Just ask the hotel clerk for a room without an odor. Surely they must have rooms that don't sme...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
FreqTraveler43323,

Thank you for your review. We’re pleased to have had you stay with us at Marriott. I’m glad you enjoyed our restaurant and found the beds to be comfortable. I’m not sure what kinds of odors you experienced during your stay, but I will share your comments with our housekeeping staff. I can assure you that we have an exceptional team who work hard to provide the cleanest, most comfortable suites for our guests. I do hope you will come and stay with us again for a more pleasant visit.