“Great stay with the kids!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 25% Off
Ranked #2 of 16 hotels in West Des Moines
Illinois City, Illinois
“Great stay with the kids!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Have stayed here multiple times with my family. The pool has a great wading pool with water spouts for the little kiddies to play without needing an adult in the pool with them. The hotel rooms are nothing special but were clean. The staff is OK, the breakfast is good. If you are looking for a clean, comfortable place to stay with a young family- this is a great choice!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

230 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel a number of times, and I am impressed by the consistently friendly service. The staff is sharp, and ensures check in is pleasant, the stay is great, and check out is only sad because I have to leave the hotel. The rooms are very clean and quiet. The hotel is close to malls, shops and restuarants. This is my favorite Hilton hotel in Des Moines.

Room Tip: I prefer the two room suites.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Spent one night at the Hilton. We have stayed here many times in the past several years and I will continue to go back. We paid up front for the room and got a cheaper rate (it is a no cancellation rate) When we got to the hotel they gave us two breakfast coupons. We have not had breakfast there in the past because it cost $9 a piece and we just went over to Jordan Creek Mall and ate at Panera before shopping. But this time we stayed and I must say the breakfast was great - cook to order items as well as the regular buffet. And eating off of china and metal utensils instead of paper plates and plastic was a plus. And have the attendants pour you coffee at the table was so nice. No problems with the room. Bathroom was clean. I would recommend this hotel if you are going shopping at Jordan Creek Mall or vicinity.

Room Tip: We did ask for a quiet room away from the ice machines and elevator and they honored my request.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed here with my husband and two kids while visiting my in-laws last weekend. Overall it's a nice, comfortable hotel. We wanted a hotel room that had a separate sleeping and living area. The room we booked had a living area with a pull-out sofabed, separated by a door to the bedroom that had two queen-sized beds. The queen beds were extremely comfortable. However, my son said that the sofabed in the living area was extremely uncomfortable. (He ended up folding the bed back up and sleeping on the sofa). The room was clean, however, the toilet was extremely loud. Seriously, it sounded like an F-14 launching off an aircraft carrier every time someone flushed. We joked about it, but it was a bit annoying. The shower also squeaked a bit.
I forgot my toothbrush and was courteously given one by a front desk staff member. And my husband called me a hero when the front desk gave me a bottle opener.
We enjoyed the pool area. There's a large pool for "serious" swimmers, a slightly heated shallow pool that is perfect for little kids, and a hot tub. (Tip: don't turn the bubbles on in the hot tub. If you do, the chlorine rises up and burns your eyes, forcing you to get out quickly). The breakfast buffet was delicious, but pricey. I know I'm thrifty, but at the price point of this hotel, I expect a free breakfast. With tip, breakfast was $36 for two adults and two kids. We only ate at the hotel one day. Overall, a good hotel to stay at when we're able to splurge.

Room Tip: We were in room 235, a deluxe 2 queen bed suite. We couldn't hear any noise from outside the roo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I have been staying at this hotel periodically over a six year period. The property is clean and well taken care of. However, the attitude of the afternoon/early evening desk folks has consistently been disinterested to borderline rude over the past year. If you ask a question, they are quite aburpt and terse. We had to call one time to get directions as we were driving in a new way. They were not really helpful on the phone nor concerned that we were lost on the freeway. When we arrived, quite late, they did not even acknowledge that they were glad we got there or that they had spoken to us on the phone. This is really a shame. I am a loyal Hilton consumer, but will be switching to the Drury Inn from now on. I work for a large company in the area that gives this hotel a lot of business. I think the ladies on the afternoon shift communicate an air of disdain for folks from this company.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
goconnell, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn West Des Moines, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
I am sorry about your experience at the front desk. I can assure you that it is not standard to find someone at our hotel who isn’t helpful. We strive to ensure our front desk agents and other team members know how much we value your business. I apologize for any issues you had.
San Antonio, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stay in Hilton properties all over the country and this is one of the best. From check-in to the small things you usually don't think about when choosing a hotel, I had a very enjoyable stay and will gladly return if the opportunity presents itself. Checking in was smooth, but when I got to my room I found that my travel department had booked me into a room with two queen beds rather than a king. I returned to the front desk and they changed me to a king at the same rate without question. I stay in hotels so often that I have developed a very critical eye for cleanliness. I found this hotel spic and span. The housekeeping staff knows how to tidy up. The iron and ironing board are some of the "little things" I mentioned. The iron was practically brand new and the ironing board was a clean, nicely padded, full-sized board. Plenty of fluffy towels, hand towels, and wash clothes. I had breakfast at the hotel twice and was impressed by the helpful and eager-to-please staff. HGI's do a semi-serve-yourself style breakfast where you can order eggs any style or French toast, etc and the wait staff will bring it to your table. I put my bread in the toaster and returned to my table while it was toasting. A few minutes later the waitress brought it over to my table for me. They had a nice selection of fresh fruits, breads, and cereals. There is ample parking and the hotel is within walking distance (5-10 minutes) of several restaurants, a mall, and a movie theater. Every interaction I had with the hotel staff members was pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: Hotel is in a quiet area so most rooms will be on the quieter side.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I travel a lot and have stayed at this Hilton Garden Inn 4-5 times. I had a very embarrassing experience that happened to me during my last stay.....the only reason why I'm mentioning it is due to the help and wonderful customer service I received from Dawn King, a young lady who works at the front desk.

I left some bags in the parking lot when leaving the hotel (don't ask). I was driving back to TN. I stopped halfway in St Louis to spend the night and noticed I was missing bags. I was in a state of panic. I spoke with Dawn King who was so helpful in getting my bags sent back to me. She even called up to ensure I had received them via FedEx. What a wonderful lady! Thanks so much for your help Dawn!

This is a very clean and nice property. I've stayed in many Hilton hotels thoughout the years and it's definitely one of my favorites.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hilton Garden Inn West Des Moines? Share your experiences!