“Great Lunch!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 208 Restaurants in West Des Moines
Cuisines: American
“Great Lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

Ate lunch with the family at G. Migs. Food and service were both EXCELLENT! When we walked in, there were no seats available. Despite this we were greeted both by the servers and the bartender. The bartender was attentive and genuinely friendly. Within a few minutes, a couple of seats opened up and we were able to order food. Before our food came up, a table opened up and the bartender cleaned it and saved it for us. Food was GREAT!!!! Excellent food and service!!!! Definitely will go here again!

Visited August 2014

Des Moines, Iowa
“Great food in a pub setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

I have been here a couple of times now, but I took my wife for the first time last Saturday night. We sat at the bar, talked with the staff and ordered dinner. The Chef's Special was a fish entree served on rice, my wife had a pastrami sandwich… both were excellent. I continue to be surprised at the combination of the food (very high quality) and the setting (average neighborhood bar). We will be back for more Chef Specials and Steak Night (Tuesday)!

One suggestion: the addition of a few more craft beer options would be great… 515, Backpocket, Confluence, Peace Tree, etc.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
West Des Moines, Iowa
“My home away from home, unfortunately.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

I work in the valley junction and I love this place. They get you coming back, almost nightly, with their chef specials. Everything is great, especially the build your pasta night and steak night. They take great care of you, even when they have a packed house.

Visited April 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
“Great Food with a neighborhood pub feel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I went here for a group celebration. The appetizers that were brought out were sophisticated and tasty. There were no corn dog niblets or little smoked sausages in barbeque sauce. These were brie and apple on toast and things like mini pizzas with gouda and chicken.

We were pretty crowded in there, but we were a large group. The regulars looked a little colorful, so if you have a sensitive disposition, you might feel a little awkward at first, but we didn't have any or see any issues.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Des Moines, Iowa
“On second thoughts ..............................”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

As you can see, I wrote a glowing review of this bar/restaurant but after latest visit, I am having second thoughts. Not so much about the food as the atmosphere. The items that make up the new menu are all tasty and well prepared. Check the website for weekend specials that are top notch.
My issue is with the environment. We happened to go on a Thursday evening and quite honestly, I cannot in good faith suggest that the scene is where one wants to go for dinner with wife and adult daughter. For sure am having second thoughts suggesting that lady friends of our family go there for a girls night out. Place can be nice like the Saturday night we went there or can be treated to some of the most foul mouthed neighbors you can imagine. Not sure what the owner is trying to achieve and not sure how to protect oneself from having such an unpleasant experience. There are restaurants in town that one can know what to expect from the crowd; this is not one of them. You are taking your chances for sure. Based on what I could see, the best seating is by the front door.
The food is good and specials can be one of a kind finds. Buyer beware when it comes to what kind of house you will find yourself in when you arrive. I am not a prude but enough is enough with the boorish behavior from clusters of men that appear to have stayed for one too many. Just sayin'.

• Visited May 2013