“Bachelor's Party” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in West Des Moines
Iowa
“Bachelor's Party”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2008

We had an after hours for a bachelor party here. We requested a room with some leniency in regards to noise level, and they were fine with that. Pool is open 24/7, which is a huge plus. Excellent breakfast in the morning. Definitely one of the best hotels for the price in the Des Moines area.

• Liked — 24hr Pool -- Great Staff
  • Disliked — Nothing really.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
LeMars
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2007

We stayed at the Staybridge Suites in West Des Moines on August 16th 2007. We were pleasantly suprised when we opened the door to our room. It was almost like an apartment plenty of room and clean!!
I was amazed at the towels. Finally a place that has nice towels. May sound strange, but I could not help but comment on them.
They have a great managers reception in the lobby, starting at 5:30, and the breakfast isn't too bad either.
My only complaint was the dryer in the laundry. It really should be replaced as it doesn't dry that well. I ended up laying a lot of my clothes all around in our room to dry.
It is not that far from Jordan Creek Mall.
I would stay here again!!

Western Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2007

This was our first stay at any Staybridge Suites, so I wasn't expecting much from the previous reviews. Staybridge is somewhat like Residence Inn style lodging if you are familiar with the Marriott version. The Holiday Inn Staybridge Suites was located in a former, I believe, Hawthorne Suite location in the Jordan Creek area of West Des Moines.

I thought it was well maintained despite the fact that the hotel had probably not been updated in the last three or four years. Unlike Residence Inns, the rooms were smaller and not as well equipped kitchen wise as Marriott's brand. They did not seem to have any true suites, all are basically oversized rooms with kitchenettes, i.e. dorm size refrigerator, stove, sink, microwave etc. but very few utensils to use considered the other amenities.

This hotel is located very conveniently to the I-80, I-35 western corridor in Des Moines and about 2 miles north of the Jordan Creek Mall. I would recommend the place if other similar lodgings were not available or more expensive. The breakfast was excellent, very tasty eggs and bacon with the obligatory waffle maker and various fruits, juices, cereals that you come to expect with free breakfasts at many hotels.

We stayed on points through Holiday Inn, and at 5,000 points per night it truly was a steal. Especially when most Holiday Inn type lodgings typically charge 10,000 to 15,000 points for similar overnight stays.

• Liked — roomy accomodations, great breakfast
  • Disliked — toilet worked sporadically
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Silicon Valley, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2006

We stayed here during the Iowa State Fair. While the rooms are large and reasonably well-furnished, we found management unresponsive. We have a two-year old daughter. My brother and his family were also visiting, he has a one-year old daughter. We had each requested cribs upon reservation, and I called the day before our arrival to confirm a crib. Upon arrival my brother's room had a crib, but mine did not. The front desk indicated no record of my request, and informed us that they only had three cribs and all were in use. They offered no remedy or suggestion for what to do with our daughter. Fortunately my parents live there and were able to rent a crib at a local store and bring it to us. Upon checkout four days later (on a Sunday) I asked the clerk for a $30 credit to reflect the cost of renting the crib. He insisted he had no authority and I'd have to take it up with the manager the next day.

It turns out a family of 11(!) had been staying at the hotel for three weeks and was using two of the three cribs. For a hotel of nearly 100 rooms to not invest in a few extra cribs or Pack 'n' Plays when a very large family is monopolizing most of the cribs is unacceptable, and for management to accept no responsibility indicates a lack of concern for the customer.

There are many other fine choices in this part of town; I'd recommend you look elsewhere.

• Liked — Location, room size
  • Disliked — Management
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Carl Junction, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2006

I stayed at this hotel on July 20th and it was great. Well taken care of, efficent staff, clean rooms all the things you could want in a hotel. We were on the first floor, so I'm not sure what part of the hotel was "tired" as the reviewer before me stated, but the part I was in was great.

If in Des Moines I will be staying here again. Thanks to Kelli for helping me book the room.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Denver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2006

We have stayed at this hotel for the past five years while we visted family in West Des Moines Iowa. It is getting to be a tired and run down hotel. Sofas and chairs in the rooms are showing wear and water stains on the ceilings and mold growing in the bathrooms. A broken door in the pool area with a handwritten sign and very stong smell of chlorine in the pool area. The biggest complaint I have is the pool is very cold. The front desk said that the temp in the pool was 84 degrees and that is where they keep it at. A way to save money I bet. It was too cold for our young children and we were upset that we could not swim in the pool. Requests to the front desk and to Connie the Sales Rep to raise the temperture were made. They said they were going to but must have thought that it was no big deal to them. All I was asking was three more degrees in the pool and that was it. We wil be at Springhill suites by Marriot across the freeway next time.

• Stayed April 2006
Des Moines Area, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2005

The Hawthorn Suites was an excellent hotel for the price! We paid $129.99 per night for a suite on the 3rd floor (4 floored property) with 2 queen beds, pull out sofa, and a full kitchen. We checked it late, with no issues, to find a unsuspected fireplace in our room! The beds were comfortable, and the pillows were fluffy, unlike some of the cheaper hotels that I have stayed at before.

With the Jordon Creek Mall and many upscale restaurants in the area, I consider the West Des Moines area more of a ritzy area, and finding a suite as lovely as this one for such a low price was an excellent find.

• Stayed August 2005

Been to Staybridge Suites West Des Moines? Share your experiences!