“Great Stop on Cross-Country Drive” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in West Des Moines
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Great Stop on Cross-Country Drive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We stayed at the SpringHill Suites Dec 4, 2012 on our way back from Vegas to Indiana. It is about 30 seconds off the exit on 80 and next to another Marriott, but I chose this one due to the less empty looking parking lot and nicer outside facility.

We just needed 1 night and are members of Marriott's reward program, so we got around $10 off our night. The total price was around $129 for the room, and I have to say my only complaint is the price for the room itself. It's a very nice room, comfy couch, and really comfortable bed (+ pillows!). The room was a bit odd in that it was split by a TV in the center, but thankfully it's on a rotating swivel stand and was easy to just swing toward the bed or swing toward the couch.

I would definitely stay here again if I was out that way, even at the bit of a steep price. My other complaint of the room itself is the bathroom size - kind of tiny, but an outside-of-the-bathroom counter made that a non-issue. Loved the towels, and the shampoo/soap (paul Mitchel for those who care) was also a nice touch.

Now on to the best part - breakfast! Included in the room rate, they had waffles (blueberry/ whole grain), eggs, hash browns, cereal, oatmeal, really ripe fresh fruit, and something else, but I can't quite remember what. The selection of drinks was awesome - orange juice, the regular grape/other flavored juices, and Almond Milk. We were close enough to the lobby in the room that we could smell the breakfast, and I'd call that a plus!

Overall - nice stay, comfy beds and pillows, and great selection of breakfast foods to choose from for a long trek back!

Room Tip: First floor rooms are right next to breakfast, smells great in the morning!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Recently stayed here for a conference for work. After seeing that it was ranked so poorly I was concerned. However, this place has been recently renovated and was fantastic. The front desk put up with my constant annoyance as I forgot a few things, and let me print a 50 page article! Free cocktail hour at 5, and a decent breakfast. Combine that with the location of the hotel, and the size of the rooms, I will be staying here again. Only complaint was the weird location of the TV in the room, but it certainly wasn't a deal breaker. Do not believe the poor ranking this place is receiving on Trip Advisor.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Kenosha, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Fantastic location, great hotel. I read plenty of reviews in regards to this hotel, and was a little skeptical about the hotel. The reviews were wrong. This hotel was recently renovated, the rooms were very clean with really nice amenities in the room. (Paul Mitchell shampoo and conditioner) Breakfast was good. The hotel is right off of interstate 80 and very close to plenty of restaurants and shopping. The service at the hotel was good, the breakfast was very nice. Room tips - the elevator works very slow just be aware that the higher the floor you are on, the longer you wait for the elevator. I would recommend this hotel to friends, and would stay there again. We actually already have plans to go back and will stay there again. Additionally, just know that this hotel runs plenty of specials, so it is easy to get double points.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

Young man on duty last night was very helpful and friendly. Ground floor room was very spacious and clean. It's always helpful when wifi is fast and reliable. Tub was slow to drain, but not too bad. Reported it to clerk. Breakfast choices were plentiful. Perkins Restaurant was across the parking lot. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2012
abie, ne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

After reading some of the reviews, we were a little concerned. HOWEVER, we found the room to be very neat and clean, service was great, and breakfast was fine. Seating area was a little crowded, but we just we back to our room. Very convenient to get too--right off of Interstate 80 and very close to Jordan Creek Town Center. We would stay here again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Illinois, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This hotel was recently completely remodeled and is very nice. The king rooms are still just kind of strange though. There is two separate "rooms" that are essentially divided by the TV stand. You can't really see the TV from the bed and you cannot see it at all when you are sitting at the desk.

I travel for work weekly and almost always stay at Marriott hotels. This is usually my third choice in West Des Moines behind the Residence Inn and Courtyard. Usually the prices are quite comparable on all of these and the SprigHill does not compare for the price.

It's a good place to stay if you can find good deal though. They are the only hotel in the area that usually has a deal for bonus Marriott Rewards points.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Des Moines West, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Kyle S,

Thank you for your review. We’re glad you chose to stay with us at SpringHill Suites and enjoyed your visit. I’m glad you liked our newly renovated hotel and found a great deal for your stay. We hope to win you over as your number one hotel choice in the West Des Moines area so please return for another great experience.

Best regards,
Katrina Levitt
Omaha, Nebraska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I rented 2 rooms at this hotel. There were 4 people in each room. My sister had her 4 kids and I had 2 of my kids. In my room was myself, my 2 kids and one of my sister's kids. In the other room (222) was my sister and 3 of her kids. Each person in room 222 contracted SCABIES. Only kid that did not contract is the kid that stayed in the room with me. I called the CS line and the lady contacted the GM of the hotel and came back and said "The GM said the hotel has been renovated and she googled scabies and the only way you can get it is blah blah blah and BEDDING." I told her to stop right there. What do you think they slept on? The sink? Come on now. So this was approx 5:14pm. I hang up with the CS rep and call the GM directly...guess what??!?!?!? She was busy on a conference call (so they say) at 5:18. I told them that one of the kids was currently in the emergency room as the doctors said this is one of the more severe cases they have seen on someone and that she needed to contact me back the same day. Needless to say they did not. I called back at 6pm and was informed the GM had left for the day and the male that answered the phone said "what would you like me to do!!!" I was like for starters this is a family that is barely getting by financially and the doctors are telling them due to the severity of this to throw out their mattresses. We can start with the hotel providing new mattresses for the family to sleep on as they are going to have to sleep on the floor. He was like I don't know what to do and then handed the phone to the assistant GM. I informed him that I was serious about this situation and the GM could have at minimal called me back and said she was waiting to hear back from corporate on the next steps but is working on it. I got nothing. I called the local TV station KCCI and left a message as I am going to go ahead and take the next steps. I have pictures of my niece her face looks like someone too a bat to her and beat the crap out of her. She is embarrassed for anyone to see her. She is a Junior in high school and now has to deal with this. My sister is pregnant and the smaller kids it is affecting but they are young enough to coach and console to minimize this major issue.

Room Tip: stay away from room 222
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Des Moines West, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Nikki M,
We appreciate your business as a valued guest and as such we have consulted with professional Orkin inspectors and have a report that states the rooms have no signs of any kind of infestation and that they did not have to use any additional chemicals in the room.

Quality care is important to us, so we double checked and have Boiler temp logs, MSDS data sheets showing we launder correctly and at the right temperature. The CDC states that Scabies symptoms occur 4-6 weeks after exposure and we received your guest complaint 10 days after checking out. The CDC states that scabies is spread usually through skin to skin contact. No other cases have emerged with associates or guests and the suite has been in continual use before and after the issue was raised.

I can only imagine how difficult this is for your family and wish all of you the best. Our leadership team has thoroughly investigated the issue and we feel confident that there is not an issue with our guest laundry.

Katrina Levitt

Been to SpringHill Suites Des Moines West? Share your experiences!