“Good hotel. Better ones in the area.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #11 of 16 hotels in West Des Moines
Illinois, United States
“Good hotel. Better ones in the area.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This hotel was recently completely remodeled and is very nice. The king rooms are still just kind of strange though. There is two separate "rooms" that are essentially divided by the TV stand. You can't really see the TV from the bed and you cannot see it at all when you are sitting at the desk.

I travel for work weekly and almost always stay at Marriott hotels. This is usually my third choice in West Des Moines behind the Residence Inn and Courtyard. Usually the prices are quite comparable on all of these and the SprigHill does not compare for the price.

It's a good place to stay if you can find good deal though. They are the only hotel in the area that usually has a deal for bonus Marriott Rewards points.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Des Moines West, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Kyle S,

Thank you for your review. We’re glad you chose to stay with us at SpringHill Suites and enjoyed your visit. I’m glad you liked our newly renovated hotel and found a great deal for your stay. We hope to win you over as your number one hotel choice in the West Des Moines area so please return for another great experience.

Best regards,
Katrina Levitt

85 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Omaha, Nebraska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I rented 2 rooms at this hotel. There were 4 people in each room. My sister had her 4 kids and I had 2 of my kids. In my room was myself, my 2 kids and one of my sister's kids. In the other room (222) was my sister and 3 of her kids. Each person in room 222 contracted SCABIES. Only kid that did not contract is the kid that stayed in the room with me. I called the CS line and the lady contacted the GM of the hotel and came back and said "The GM said the hotel has been renovated and she googled scabies and the only way you can get it is blah blah blah and BEDDING." I told her to stop right there. What do you think they slept on? The sink? Come on now. So this was approx 5:14pm. I hang up with the CS rep and call the GM directly...guess what??!?!?!? She was busy on a conference call (so they say) at 5:18. I told them that one of the kids was currently in the emergency room as the doctors said this is one of the more severe cases they have seen on someone and that she needed to contact me back the same day. Needless to say they did not. I called back at 6pm and was informed the GM had left for the day and the male that answered the phone said "what would you like me to do!!!" I was like for starters this is a family that is barely getting by financially and the doctors are telling them due to the severity of this to throw out their mattresses. We can start with the hotel providing new mattresses for the family to sleep on as they are going to have to sleep on the floor. He was like I don't know what to do and then handed the phone to the assistant GM. I informed him that I was serious about this situation and the GM could have at minimal called me back and said she was waiting to hear back from corporate on the next steps but is working on it. I got nothing. I called the local TV station KCCI and left a message as I am going to go ahead and take the next steps. I have pictures of my niece her face looks like someone too a bat to her and beat the crap out of her. She is embarrassed for anyone to see her. She is a Junior in high school and now has to deal with this. My sister is pregnant and the smaller kids it is affecting but they are young enough to coach and console to minimize this major issue.

Room Tip: stay away from room 222
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Des Moines West, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Nikki M,
We appreciate your business as a valued guest and as such we have consulted with professional Orkin inspectors and have a report that states the rooms have no signs of any kind of infestation and that they did not have to use any additional chemicals in the room.

Quality care is important to us, so we double checked and have Boiler temp logs, MSDS data sheets showing we launder correctly and at the right temperature. The CDC states that Scabies symptoms occur 4-6 weeks after exposure and we received your guest complaint 10 days after checking out. The CDC states that scabies is spread usually through skin to skin contact. No other cases have emerged with associates or guests and the suite has been in continual use before and after the issue was raised.

I can only imagine how difficult this is for your family and wish all of you the best. Our leadership team has thoroughly investigated the issue and we feel confident that there is not an issue with our guest laundry.

Katrina Levitt
Moline, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Nicely updated, however we had a Queen suite with the living area and only one flat screen tv. The tv is mounted on the wall in between the living area and the bedroom and is NOT on a swivel so you can turn it to see it. So either they need to put a tv in both the bedroom area and the living area or else put a swivel arm mount on it so it can be turned to where you are watching it from. The breakfast was okay. The only issue we had was the elevator is SLOW as can be. And there was also a little league tournament going on so the kids were running & screaming up & down the hall and then they made our breakfast not so pleasurable by running & yelling a lot in the lobby as well. Not the hotels fault, however would have been nice to know the hotel was overrun by the baseball teams. As a couple we really just wanted some quiet and relaxation. Didn't even go into the pool because it was overcrowded by all the ball teams. UGH!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Des Moines West, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Kelmae,

Thank you for taking the time to write about our hotel. We are pleased you stayed with us. I will look into the tv swivel in the rooms and appreciate your recommendation. We did have a busy week with baseball teams so I apologize for any inconveniences you may have encountered during their stay. We hope to have you both back again for the quiet and relaxing stay you desire.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Newly renovated property with very nice rooms. Read all the reviews so we were a bit hesitant. But after staying four nights we are very happy with the facilities. The staff is excellent! We will stay again when we are in town.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at SpringHill Suites Des Moines West, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Thank you AG for recommending our hotel! I’m glad you found our hotel accommodations agreeable and that our staff was welcoming. We pride ourselves on great service. We look forward to seeing you again in West Des Moines.
Warmest regards,
Dubuque, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012 via mobile

I read so many bad reviews about this hotel on different websites I had to check it out myself. From the outside it looks like a nice property. We didn't stay here, but we were staying next door at a sister property. What we saw was a completely remodeled hotel. When you walk in the door the front desk area is very inviting. Everything is brand new. This property just finished a multi million dollar renovation. The rooms were stripped to bare walls and completely redone. The queen bed suites have 2 36" LCD televisions, while the king suites only have 1 television. Everything is new from the furniture to the ceiling. The color scheme for the entire hotel is green, orange, and blue. These colors are found through out the hotel. We will definitely stay here next time we are in Des Moines.

• Stayed June 2012
, Manager at SpringHill Suites Des Moines West, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you PutJer1 for writing an appraisal of our hotel…from an outsiders view! I’m ecstatic you liked everything you saw when you visited and that you’ll be staying with us on your next trip to West Des Moines! It’s a huge compliment that you took the time to write a review and recommendation for us on what you experienced as a non-guest! We look forward to wowing you on your next trip to West Des Moines.
Warmest regards,
Council Bluffs, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

When traveling I generally stay in the Marriott brand. I chose this hotel because of an extra points offer Marriott had given me. This location is close to great shopping and superb restaurants. Even though the hotel was full of youth baseball teams, I slept soundly in a very comfortable bed with no disruptions. Good hotel, friendly staff, but not as nice as the upper line Marriotts.

Room Tip: Pick a high floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
FormerHoosier thank you for your review and recommendation. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay! We hope to see you again soon.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

We just stayed here for what was going to be two nights, but we checked out after the first night. Our whirlpool suite, which had just been updated (or so we wre told) felt cheap and uncomfortable. The staff was very friendly, but I definitely would not recommend this hotel unless you are wanting one step up from a motel 6.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Noelle F, thank you for your candid review. While I’m pleased you found out staff hospitable, I’m sorry you found our whirlpool suites inadequate. We hope this doesn’t discourage you from staying with Marriott in the future.
Regards,
Katrina Leavitt, General Manager

Been to SpringHill Suites Des Moines West? Share your experiences!