“Great camping potential...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Timberline Campground

Timberline Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waukee
Timberline Campground
You added Timberline Campground to your Saves list
31635 Ashworth Rd, Waukee, IA 50263   |
Virginia, Minnesota
“Great camping potential...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We made reservations in advance and I was very happy with our check-in process and being assigned a tenting spot (I hate when campgrounds just say set up wherever to tenters). We set up our spot, my wife showered (bathrooms were well kept) and I logged on to the included wifi (worked great). Everything was perfect and we turned in early…that is, we tried to. We were next to the camping cabins and the preteen girls that were next door were the most inconsiderate neighbors you could have ever had at a campground. We went over to talk to them twice, once at 11pm and again at 1am about their volume. Clearly, their parents didn’t care and the quiet hours didn’t really help us any. Showers were easily accessible in the morning as we woke up a bit early to head to stop at the Kum & Go for some caffeine, so we could make it through the zoo before we alternated napping on our drive to St. Louis. Great camping potential…just depends on your neighbors.

Room Tip: If you are tenting, ask for a spot far away from the camping cabins.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Greensboro
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed here for 1 month, really clean, has everything you need, its quiet, plenty of large tree's.
Never experienced any problems with employee's, actually they were friendly and attentive. Location is great, its close to everything, yet out in the country

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Very rude owners right from the check in. Price only includes 1-2 people, not a very family friendly policy! You pay per person over 2 people. We made our reservation a day before, but they waited until after we got to our campsite (6 p.m.) and starting setting up to decide to mow! The place was empty in our area, but the grass was so long! Including the outdated playground area, where our kids could hardly walk through the grass. Just what you want to hear camping is a loud lawn mower.
The next day I cleared out of my campsite by noon and parked by the pool, where we swam until 3, when the rude owner came up and yelled at me in a pool full of people that check out was noon and if I didn't leave, she would charge me another day. Most campgrounds don't care if you stay the day as long as you are out of your campsite. No wonder the place was empty! The only ones there were people with seasonals. I don't know how they stay there. I would NEVER stay here again! Most campground owners enjoy people, but not at Timberline!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Waukee hotels

Waterloo, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

At the beginning of June, we reserved five specific spots and a cabin for Labor Day Weekend. We made sure we were all close to each other as three of the five campers have small children and we wanted to sit around the campfire after the kids went to bed. We choose this campground because she told us we could have 9, 10, 12, 13, 14 and Cabin #3 over the phone. When we arrived Friday, September 2nd two of our campers were assigned to sites 4 & 5 and then we had 10 and one camper on site 12, one of our couples had to cancel due to a broken truck but paid the one night fee for late cancellation only to find out they already had the site filled by someone else. When I asked the lady behind the desk what happened her only explanation was she did the best she could do and by making a reservation we are not guaranteed specific spots. I consider myself a reasonable person but this was an unacceptable answer the reason we made reservations was to be next to each other and not just 4 random spots. As I pushed her for further explanation she started in about some monthly campers and their $3,000 was not something she was going to turn down in order to keep our reservations I asked why she didn't call us so we could find another campground with us all together and she replied we are close enough to each other! I am not going to walk five campers down while my three small children are sleeping unattended; no we are not close enough. Then she says the monthly campers are flood victims? I am sorry but if this were true why wouldn't she say so right away, why wait till the end of the argument your loosing? She had no empathy for our situation; I would not have been angry, disappointed but not angry, if she could of just said, "I'm sorry, this is the situation." Instead she choose to argue with no remorse. I will never return to this campground nor will I ever recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Not often do I make it out to camp locally but when I do, Timberline is the only option. Friendly hosts, clean restrooms and very family oriented. Easy access and close to everything if for some reason you feel the need to venture out. Your children will not get bored. Quiet hours are quiet even with a full campground. One visit to the bathhouse found to need a bit of cleaning and upon immediately notifying the host, it was attended to within 5 minutes. I have never seen this place anything other than very clean and well kept.

• Stayed August 2011

Been to Timberline Campground? Share your experiences!