“A real vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Waterloo
“A real vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Excellent amenities and very helpful staff. They really make you feel like you're on vacation. I will definitely recommend this place. Great for families and excellent location! Close to shopping areas and waterpark.

• Stayed July 2014
Candlewood S, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites Waterloo-Cedar Falls, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear CydVanLuke,

Thank you for your kind comments. We strive to make our business and leisure guests feel comfortable while staying with us, and your positive review goes along way in letting us know we're doing something right! Candlewood Suites of Waterloo Iowa is centrally located, and in close proximity to area attractions, shopping, and dining. I'm very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We can't wait to have you back again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

Hello all, I request you not to choose this hotel.
Recently during my stay here I lost my money from hotel room. Hotel management was not ready to help me. They just ignored my request. Horrible experience.

• Stayed June 2014
Candlewood S, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites Waterloo-Cedar Falls, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear Suryahas,

Thank you for your review. Our hotel does review and address these situations very carefully. Safety and Security are our first and foremost concern. We have reached out privately to obtain additional details of your experience.

Joe B.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

My first time staying at this property. I am IHG member.
Very clean. Suite was large and roomy for relaxing before settling in at the very large work area that divided the kitchen and living room.
Small bathroom, which is fine. I like seeing the real estate used for other areas.

Room Tip: If you are business traveler, ask for top two floors for a bit more peace and quiet. There is water...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Kcfaninstl,

Thanks a lot for your review of our hotel! I am glad to hear you were able to relax in your spacious suite. We agree that space should be saved for higher trafficked areas. We so appreciate your feedback, as our staff takes great pride in our Candlewood Suites. We hope to see you next time your travels bring you to Waterloo Iowa!

Joe B. FOM
Plainfield, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

This hotel looked fairly new however when we went inside it was quickly apparent it was not being taking care of. We travel often and stay in many ihg properties most of the time not having a problem. Our keys would not open the door, halls were very dirty should have been our first clue. We asked for a different room closer to the Elevator and was told there was no other room available (parking lot was empty when we got there and when we left the next morning) the frig was very noisy, chair was broken, internet was very spotty. We were suppose to stay here 4 nights we left the next morning and moved to the Country Inn where we have a beautiful room and great service. We will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Candlewood S, Manager at Candlewood Suites Waterloo-Cedar Falls, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Dear 65Mustang09,

I'm so sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than satisfactory. Please rest assured that we take reviews seriously, and use them as an opportunity for improvement. Our hotel common areas are cleaned daily. Unfortunately, sometimes maintenance problems arise, especially in the kitchen area of the rooms. We are happy to move guests to suites more comfortable for them. We have addressed the maintenance concerns you've stated here upon your checkout. As always, I'm happy to offer you a late checkout and other compensation for the issues you experienced. I hope that these problems don't effect your decision to come back and stay with us again!

Thanks again, and have a great day!
Des Moines, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

I travel quite often for business and have stayed at every hotel brand under the sun. I know that typically the Candlewood Suites are a lower tier IHG property so my expectations we set appropriately. I choose this property because I wanted to earn points. Also, I chose to stay at this property because I have stayed at several others in the area and I am still in search of a solid option in the Waterloo/CF area.

With all that being said, I was disappointed in my stay. The ONE thing that did not disappoint was the staff. Joe at the front desk was helpful and friendly.

The issues with this property are related to age and use, in my opinion. The shower had a layer of dirt around the top ledge and that dirt was thick. Around the areas of dirt, there was what appeared to be mold. Also, the shower head was disgusting and the pipe that attached it to the wall was free floating.... So moving the head made the whole pipe move.

The couch and wooden chair in the room were dirty. Especially the chair as it was covered with stains.

The bed was comfortable. However, the white "blanket" was stained and when I pulled the comforter off the bed before I laid down, I found a few hairs toward the foot of the bed.

The clocks in the main living area, including the microwave, had still not been updated for daylight savings. While this isnt a big deal, it made me think that if those things are overlooked, what else might be?

Last but not least.... before I went to bed, I set the AC at my preferred temp of 67. I was awoken in the middle of the night, because I was hot. At that point I got out of bed and somehow the room was 89 degrees and the heater was going! I am not sure what happened, but clearly the unit malfunctioned. I re-checked all of the settings and it was still set on COOL and 67 was the set point. I did not want to deal with having someone come to fix it at 330 am, so I opened the windows (it was 32 outside) and turned on the room fan to create noise to cover up the traffic sounds. The next morning I relayed the info about the AC unit to the front desk and was assured it would be looked at, but frankly that doesn't help me out any :(

Overall, the cost of the room was $114. That is a bit on the high side for the area. For the cost, I was disappointed in the overall quality of the room. I have stayed at 2 other hotels within a block of this property in the last month and both were nicer, for a lower price. If you can get this room for $85-$95, I think that would be a more appropriate price assuming the room is cleaned a bit better.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Joe B, Manager at Candlewood Suites Waterloo-Cedar Falls, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Dear PhillyDice,

I'm sorry to hear that your stay wasn't to your highest satisfaction. We do pride ourselves here at Candlewood Suites on our customer service offering, and thank you for the review of our property. I'd like to apologize about the cleanliness concerns, as well as the HVAC malfunction. I understand that it doesn't do you much good to know that all of the issues you've listed were taken care of with utmost haste, but wanted to let you know anyhow. Again, I'm sorry for any problems you've encountered with us, and thank you very much for your comments. We always appreciate the opportunity for improvement and learning experience.

Have a great day; I hope to see you again soon!

-Joe B. FOM
Austin, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

A nice Valentine's night spent at a decent hotel suite. It had been a long time since my last visit to Waterloo. We went down with another couple and went to the casino and spent the night at the Candlewood. Very close to the casino and very close to a big nice shopping mall.
The first room we got we found out later after week went to sleep and woke up chilly, the heater was not working so they gave us another room right away.
We woke up the next morning and cooked the four of us a good breakfast being the room's all have a oven, micowave, full size frig, coffee maker, toaster, dishwasher and even a garabage disposal.........and all the thing's you need to cook a meal on and eat a meal on..
Next time we go we will make sure we have swim suit's along, they have a nice pool and hot tub and also a nice exericse room.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Cedar Falls, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Meh.... it is quite expensive for what you get. The studio suite did not come with an oven, but rather a dishwasher... I'd rather have an oven than an automatic dishwasher... I was here on business and if you need reliable access to the internet when you are here for business, I would advise that you stay elsewhere... the internet frequently goes to "Limited Connection" and you lose everything when the connection is lost. I actually lost a very long e-mail I was typing out to senior management when the internet crashed. I had to start all over and send it from my mobile phone.

The guest washer and dryers were a plus. bathroom was pretty average. Some people have their dogs here that bark frequently. The bed was quite hard and not very comfortable. The heater was actually very noisy and when it kicked on it did so with a THUNK and woke me with a startle.

Would I stay here again? Only in a pinch. I just think that it is very overpriced for what you get-an average hotel stay that you could get at the Motel 6 down the street.

Room Tip: If your computer does not have an Ethernet and you require access to the internet that is reliable...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Candlewood S, Manager at Candlewood Suites Waterloo-Cedar Falls, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
We regret your stay with us was not to your entire satisfaction as you had internet connection problem. We have taken corrective actions to fix the issue. Each our suites is equipped with electric stove top we can not have ovens due to fire safety ,dishwashers, silverware, Tupperware, pots and pan, plates and glasses, coffee maker, iron and stand plus much more. We try our best to present our hotel as home away from home.

Been to Candlewood Suites Waterloo-Cedar Falls? Share your experiences!