“the bad reviews are undeserved” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Waterloo
Minnesota City, Minnesota
“the bad reviews are undeserved”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I read all of the bad reviews and thought about canceling my reservation, but it was too late and I would have been charged. So I hesitantly checked in. My request for a room away from smoking rooms was taken care of. Both of the people working the front desk were prompt, friendly, efficient. As I opened the door to my room I was pleasantly surprised to see an updated, clean suite. Full-size refrigerator, microwave, and dishwasher. New flooring and carpeting - clean. Updated bathroom - clean. Bedding - clean. And the bed was pretty comfy. Lots of electric outlets, placed where you can use them easily. Free wi-fi. It isn't the quietest place, but not many hotels like this are. That is why I travel with earplugs for sleeping. Lots of restaurants and shopping nearby for convenience. I will definitely stay here again if I am back here again for business.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Only place available for a wrestling tournament this past weekend. Based on other Trip Advisor reviews, I had very low expectations. The room was clean and the kitchenette was nice (even a full-sized refrigerator). They knew we were checking in with four people - there were two bath towels available. When we requested two more towels, the response was "all of our towels are currently being washed.....we're at full capacity this weekend." I guess they must not reach full capacity very often???? In general, we'll go to the next closest town next time. I will point out that the location is within walking distance/few minutes driver to multiple restaurants and shopping. One more thing - don't expect any kind of breakfast at this hotel - not even a donut.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night in Sept. 2012, was in town for UNI football game. Never stayed in Cadlewood suites before, so didn't know what to expect. Was one of a few places left with rooms availiable. Check in was fine, front desk only staffed from 7am-11pm, if arriving outside of those hours and have reservation your key and info will be in what looks like a safe just inside main doors. Stayed in room 212, had 2 queen beds, and one of the beds had a large hole on bedspread, was very obvious as spread is orange/yellow and sheet white, was dissapointed they were still using despite hole, looked tacky. There is a full kitchen, looked nice, and had everything you would need to cook. Also a clothes closet that is fairly large with a door that shuts. View was of parking lot. There is a desk/table for eating and working both chairs at this were stained and dirty looking. Also recliner that was nice, flat screen tv, and dvd with lending library at front desk with books and movies. Also your own fuse box in room. Housekeeping is weekly, but you can exchange your linens at front desk if need be. Bathroom was fairly large with tub/shower, and plenty of towels, but towels were very hard, almost unusabale as so rough. In bathroon 2 bar soaps, and pantene combo of shampoo/conditioner. Our room was not a suite as other reviewers describe, there was no door seperating bed from living area. Probably wouldn't stay at again unless no other options, was about $100 for the one night. Don't need the kitchen area, and dissapointed by condition of room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Waterloo-Cedar Falls, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear nursecommander,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. I truly apologize for the not up to par experience you had during you stay with us specifically on being disappointed by the room. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Karen G.
IHGCare
Mason City, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I regret to inform you that this was the worst experience I have had in a very long time! When we arrived to check in, it took at least 15 minutes of roaming around the hotel before I could even find anyone to check us in! After we finally got our room keys, we walked into a dirty room! I realized that sometimes stuff happens, however when I brought this to the attention of the staff, she acted as if it was such an inconvenience to find us another room! Also, one of the amenities that I thought was offered was the "Cupboard" which was pretty much empty. I understand that the store is not very far away but after a long trip, it would have been nice not to have to go out of our way for some snacks! All in all, our impression of this hotel was horrible! When you are paying $123.19, a person expects higher standards than this!

Room Tip: Dont try Candlewood Suites!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Waterloo-Cedar Falls, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Roberta S,

Ferdinand G.
IHGCare
Fort Madison
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed for over 2 months the staff was very accommodating. They did have problems with the internet a few times and the supply cupboard is bare for items that you might not have however the shopping stores are just down the road and I just went there and got what I needed. Very pet friendly with a large open area to the south.

Room Tip: I was on the ground floor and there was some noise, not more the normal. ask for an upper level. I w...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We are relocating from the East coast to the West coast due to a military posting. We have a two year old & a four month old and prefer to stay in a one bedroom suite .... and as we are taking our time driving across we have stayed in a few already.
This is by far the worst.
We booked a non smoking suite, which on arrival were informed it was a "non-smoking" room on the "smoking" floor... level 4. They could run a humidifier if we thought the room was smelly, there were no other suites available and as it was for one night we took the room.
The room itself has mis-matching linen ( white and a yellowy colour which gives the impression its really old and stained, ( even though i dont think it is ? ). The furniture is stained and the king bed appears to be tilting back towards the wall ( as in higher at the foot end, lower level at the head end ). There is only one air conditioning unit for both rooms. The bedroom receives the cool air through a vent above the air con in the lounge area. It gets sucked through by way of an extremely noisy pump ? The lounge area is extremely cold & the bedroom very stuffy.
Our last stop, also in a small town, the room rate was $140 ( Marriott Residence Inn ) which included a light dinner, a hot buffet breakfast and a new clean room .... this room $200 !! Not impressed at all.

• Stayed September 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Waterloo-Cedar Falls, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Dear Nlb74,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We strive everyday to create special experiences one guest at a time and I am truly sorry we did not manage this for your stay. Please accept my apologies for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and I regret you were not satisfied with the conditions of the room you received, amenities and lounge area. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Zelyn N
IHG Care
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Internet service cuts out frequently (which just happened, so this is the 2nd time I'm writing this). Front desk staff was friendly and accomodating, but they wore sweatpants and grubby t-shirts. I'm not expecting slacks at a place like this, but even jeans would have been a big improvement. When I checked in they didn't acknowledge my platinum membership in Priority Club, nor did they have my check in paperwork and keys ready. I also didn't get any sort of upgraded room (which is common for platinum members). I don't expect to be upgraded if there isn't anything available, but I probably got one of the worst room locations (2nd floor of 4 floors, right across from the elevator). The room key seemed to lose its magnetic code after one use. I had to get it re-programmed 4 times in two days. The toilet in the room barely flushed, so I opted not to risk using it. The A/C unit was mislabeled. There was a sign on the A/C which instructed me to use the thermostat on the wall, but the thermostat on the wall did nothing. I was eventually able to turn on the A/C when I used the controls on the unit itself. The bed and pillows were uncomfortable, so I didn't sleep well. The towels were hard and scratchy, and one of them had a faint orange streak on it. There were several dishes, bowls, and cups in the cupboard that were completely soiled. I think the dishwasher may have been broken. Overall, the quality of this hotel is much worse than the Holiday Inn Express across the street (and the Hampton Inn), but the price was much lower as well. If price is a big deal, then this might still be okay. But if you are okay with spending a little more money, you will have a better experience next door. This hotel wasn't all bad. They pool/hot tub were clean and functional. The rooms looked nice and updated, but I felt like it was all superficial (like putting egyptian cotton sheets on a 50 year old mattress).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, IHG Care at Candlewood Suites Waterloo-Cedar Falls, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear Chad T,

Thank you for being a Platinum Priority Club Member and for leaving us feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you have mentioned our friendly and accommodating staff. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering superior service and are happy doing so. However, I am deeply sorry that we fell below your expectations. Your comments about the room keys and the Air Conditioner are troubling will certainly be looked into.

Janice A.
IHG Care

Been to Candlewood Suites Waterloo-Cedar Falls? Share your experiences!