“Need to make repairs and make sure the rooms are clean.” 3 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Waterloo
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bartlett, Illinois
“Need to make repairs and make sure the rooms are clean.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We have stayed at this location several times and was previouly very satisfied with the well kept and clean rooms. This last time however, the room we were given was less than satisfactory. First off we found hairs in the soap dish, and on the desk top. Also we saw that there was tooth paste on the back of the bathroom door, dirt on the wall by one bathroom outlets, the bathroom vent was fithy, around the walk in shower there was water damage near the floor as well as obvious lack of cleaning, the phone receiver looked greasy, and an obvious lack of dusting throughout the room.
I let the person at the desk know that the room was not up to the standards we had come to exspect and she said she would not charge us for the night. We told her that we didn't want that, that we would pay for the room, but thought that they should know. Well, they left an invoice under our door during the night, showing that they had not charged us for the room. We went to the desk the next morning and made them charge us for the room. I didn't want them to think that we were looking for a free night in bringing these issues up. They were very apologetic but made the excuse that they had new help and that they would be give a warning.
What should happen, in my opinion, they should train their people better and follow up with inspections. This ais a management problem, I certainly didn't want to here that they were going to write someone up. This was not only an issue of cleaning, but also of keeping up with proper maintenance.
If we stay here in the future, I would first ask to see the room!

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you decide to stay.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Christa T, General Manager at Hampton Inn Waterloo, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
I would like to thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. It is very apparent to me that there was quality lacking in our service. I have much higher standards than what were shown during your stay.

The state of your guest rooms surprises and disappoints me. As you have stayed with us before, you know this is not the norm.

I want to ensure you that the front desk agent in no way thought you were attempting to get a free room, but was rather showing their commitment to Hampton's 100% Guarantee. We certainly don't expect you to pay for a stay where so many items were missed. The manner in which this employee handled the situation needs improvement. I agree that the measures taken internally with an employee should be kept internal as that is not a benefit to you nor does it correct the problems you had. She was likely trying to convey how serious this would be taken. Also, the statement of having new help is certainly no excuse.

I'm very sorry that we dropped the ball in so many ways during your stay. I want you to feel that you can stay with us with confidence. If there is anything at all that I may do for you, outside of correcting the performance of our employees and room inspection team, please contact me directly at 319-233-2044 or christa.thompson@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Waterloo, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have been a loyal customer to this Hampton Inn for the past 2 1/2 years, staying on site almost weekly. The staff is excellent, always professional and courteous. The grounds are clean and the hotel is well taken care of. The breakfast staff keeps the food stocked and hot. The housekeeping staff are friendly and making sure that the rooms are perfect.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Cary, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Staff are always on point - I stay here 1~2 weeks per month, desk staff make the effort to greet me by name. The hotel is always spotless the location is ideal for local restaurants. close to the Highway but not close enough for noise to be a problem

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Beaver Dam, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

My family generally stays here when visiting relatives in the area. Location is good, complimentary breakfast is good, staff is friendly, rooms are clean and quiet. should not need to have 200 characters to complete this portion, people like me will get frustrated and move on.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Eldridge, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

First time in a Hampton and I will defiently be back. Great room with the little ammenitys no one thinks about like an outlet with USB built in!!!!!!! Front desk staff was very freindly answered all our questions. bed was super confortable and even breakfast was great.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Des Moines, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I really want to thank Abby and her staff for making my families stay a very relaxing and enjoyable. We were there for my granddaughter's NMA pageant competition. Having a comfortable, quiet room, and waking up to a good breakfast was very "Chillaxin" as my granddaughter would say. Thanks for the A+ customer service! Ric B.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This hotel is modern and up to date with the usual Hampton Inn amenities. The internet service is pretty good, the staff is fine, and the beds comfortable.
There are a few sub-par items, however. My stay here was for more than a week in April 2013. I am here alone on business and have male pattern balding with short hair, so there is no other explanation for the many long black hairs on the bathroom floor other than that the staff does not clean well. Also, I have noticed that they have not swept the carpet since my arrival, even though it obviously needs it.
Also, the breakfast could be improved. The bagels have an odd and unpleasant taste and never seem fresh. The apples are red delicious - the bowl never gets empty because nobody likes them.
It is nice that there is a guest laundry room and the machines work. I needed help from the staff, though, because there is no sign indicating the cost for the machines, and I could not have guessed that one needs to unplug the machine and plug it back in to make it work!
Botttom line is that the management here is not paying enough attention to details as they should.
I will look for another place to stay on my next trip. Unfortunately, I found few choices of hotels in Waterloo that have a fitness center. For one of the most expensive hotels in town, it should be better.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Christa T, General Manager at Hampton Inn Waterloo, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us. I would like the opportunity to apologize personally for your less than exceptional experience with us. As an award winning hotel, we certainly have higher standards than those that were reflected during your stay. I am very sorry we did not meet your expectations or our own.

I understand you were unhappy with the cleanliness of your room and I am very sorry for this experience. I am working with our housekeeping staff to prevent this from happening in the future. I would like the opportunity to speak with you so I may find out which room you were in and be able to continue accordingly with the responsible employee.

I will address your concerns about our breakfast products as well to ensure that everything is being rotated properly to provide optimal freshness. The red delicious apples are a Hampton requirement but we do rotate in other varieties as well as we realize everyone has different preferences.

The guest laundry machines have a digital display that should read the price but when their internal computers reset, we do have to intervene by unplugging and re-plugging them back in. I apologize for this inconvenience and you most certainly should not have had to attend to this matter yourself.

I'm sorry to hear of all the troubles you encountered during your stay. I wish I could have known about them while you were here so I could have worked with you and our team to have these issues resolved. Please contact me at 319-233-2044 or by email at christa.thompson@hilton.com so we may rectify this situation in the best way possible. I sincerely hope that when your travels bring you back to the area, you will consider giving us another opportunity to provide you with the outstanding service you deserve.

Been to Hampton Inn Waterloo? Share your experiences!