“Pleasant” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Waterloo
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Pleasant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding. Upon check in, the staff was very friendly and accommodating, even though we were there before check in time. They even made sure to put our party of 3 rooms on the same floor after I asked. The lobby is beautiful and welcoming, and has hot drinks and cookies. The rooms are nice and clean, but the comforters are extremely heavy and need to be updated. The bathroom is nicely lit and seemed clean although I did find a hair on the shower wall. The bed seemed a bit hard for my taste. The floors are a bit noisy, but luckily we were on the 3rd floor so we couldn't hear people walking above us, unlike other people staying for the wedding. It would be nice to have an exhaust fan in the bathroom or the a/c unit for a little white noise to help block out some of the hotel noise. We didn't have the breakfast, but it smelled good. I was a bit surprised to have the housekeeping staff knock on our door at 9 am the morning we were leaving. (check out is at noon) After telling them we were packing, they politely apologized and left. All in all, it could use a few changed for the price.

Room Tip: I suggest the 3rd floor to avoid noise above you
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
fcnlink, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Waterloo, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you for choosing your Country Inn & Suites of Waterloo as your preferred lodging choice during your time in the Cedar Valley. Weddings are always a great time to gather friends and family.

As always, we appreciate your feedback and insights, both of what we did well and what aspects may need inprovements. We listen with an open ear. Some of the improvements I talk about include a scheduled visit to clean our bathroom vents to aid in the exhaust fan's efforts.

We look forward to having you back the next time friends, family, business, or leisure bring you back to the area as part of the Country Inn & Suites family.

Management & Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

The Country Inn and Suites in Waterloo is pretty much everything you could want in a business overnight. The service was friendly, efficient, and unobtrusive. The room was clean and roomy with comfy beds and pillows. Yummy cookies, nicely varied breakfast. Internet worked smoothly. I didn't try the pool but it looked great. I wasn't bothered by overhead noise but then I do sleep with earplugs. If I had to complain about something, it would be the dim lighting. TV was a tad on the small size. All in all, a comfortable stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
fcnlink, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Waterloo, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Great morning,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor guest satisfaction survey. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your time at the hotel.

I'm glad you took notice of our some of our improvements such as our upgraded internet and our expansive "Be Our Guest" hot breakfast. You should expect nothing less than great service hear at your Country Inn & Suites of Waterloo.

Management and Staff
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Hotel was, overall, OK. My main complaint is the noisy, shaky floors. The noise of us and the people in the room above us walking around the room was aggrevating. It's as if the 2nd and 3rd floors were built like a house and not a hotel. Hearing the BOOM, BOOM, BOOM of someone walking across the floor above us was most problematic during sleeping hours.

• Stayed September 2012
fcnlink, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Waterloo, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you for your honest feedback about your experience here at Country Inn & Suites of Waterloo. We want to hear from you, our loyal guests, to help make your next stay with us that much more enjoyable. Know that we have staff on duty at all hours to help alleviate any inconvenience you may experience during your stay so you can rest easy. We look forward to having you back and showing you a more positive time in the Cedar Valley. Enjoy your day to its fullest!

Fridley, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We checked in later in the evening and we had a room all ready and waiting for us. There were cookies upon our check-in even at midnight. The room was nice, and had pantene products in the bathroom. Awesome perk. In the morning, the breakfast was a wide variety of cold items, snacky items-string cheese-such a fun extra; waffle maker, cereal, make your own omelette, etc. As we headed out the door, we noticed to-go-bags for breakfast, if you didn't have time to sit down and eat. Plus-a different kind of cookie was out than the night before.

We weren't there long, but I would defintely go back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
fcnlink, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Waterloo, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Our great thanks goes out to your for sharing your experience and testimonial of your recent stay. The constant supply of fresh cookies is actually one of my favorite amenities as well. Additionally, thank you for acknowledging our breakfast. We have put a lot of effort into expanding our breakfast in a couple different ways such as our menu items and diningware to provide a different look and feel. We hope you are able to stay longer during your next trip in Waterloo so you can enjoy more of the Country Inn & Suites experience. Genuine thanks for letting us play host. We highly anticipate your next stay in the area!

Columbia, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We've stayed here several times. The staff is always very nice and very helpful. The Lobby decor is very nice. Our rooms have always been clean previous to this visit, but this time there was much to be desired. The coffee table was sticky and there were crumbs on it. The upholstery of the chair and sofa was dirty. And the bed was so hard I couldn't sleep. This has always before been our stay of choice when coming to Waterloo, but I think we'll have to investigate a new place for next time. Oh, and every time we came in, there were no cookies. The breakfast was pretty meager and not very tasty. It really seems to have gone downhill in the last year.....

Room Tip: Stay off of the third floor!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Waterloo, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to complete a TripAdvisor review after your most recent stay.

On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. I have addressed your concerns about your guest room, lack of cookies, and the quality of breakfast with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a more positive stay in the near future.

Additionally, we also acknowledge the high points of your stay and are grateful for your continual loyalty. It is our hope that we may once again welcome you and your family in not as guests, but rather as friends the next time travels bring you to the Cedar Valley.

Fort Collins, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed here several nights for a business trip. The staff was friendly, but it wasn't enough to counter-balance the negatives. The hotel itself is in an odd spot, and not easy to get to, or give directions to. The breakfasts were weak for a CI&S. The internet options include a free access (didn't work) or a paid upgrade ($3/day and still didn't work.) I could get access only very sporadically. I called the number, did all the trouble shooting mumbo-jumbo. The tech finally decided that the problem was with my laptop (never had a problem before or since in any other hotel). I received a refund, but no internet access. Internet is a key to my business stay, so this was a big problem. My smart phone is the only way I got any work done. The room I had (2 room suite) was pretty dingy, and had a huge stain on the floor. One of the housekeepers also promised me she would personally clean my room each day, because (she informed me) some of the other housekeepers had been accused of stealing. Classy! I did receive an response after i completed their email survey... It offered an apology, but no discounts or anything worthwhile. I figured I'd give them a chance to reconcile before posting here... Obviously, I will not be going back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
We offer our sincere appreciation for your feedback about your experience as well as our apologies for any inconveniences.

As part of our plan of continually improving the guest experience to make stays even more pleasant is our recently implemented wireless internet upgrade. After switching internet providers, they are still trying to best configure the settings to our hotel. We invite you to give us another chance to help prove we are consistent with the reputable Country Inn & Suites brand.

We would like to further extend our hand to you and follow up with your stay. If you have a moment, please give us a call at 319.233.2336 so we may further accommodate.

Genuine thanks,
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I traveled to Waterloo to meet with a friend. I chose this hotel because of the outstanding experiences I'd had at other hotels within the chain. However, the cleanliness of this particular location left much to be desired. I checked in on a Friday evening, went up to my room via elevator and took the stairs back down. I noticed cereal on the stairway and what appeared to be either chocolate or dog poop outside the exit door. I notified the front desk immediately, however both were still present on Sunday morning when I checked out. Also, the hotel states that they have fresh cookies available. At no point during my stay were there any cookies in the container.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Waterloo, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Great morning. We sincerely appreciate your time and consideration to respond about your recent stay. Your comments are duelly noted and taken into consideration to continually improve upon the guest experience. In regard to the mention of any dogs, rest assured that we are adamant about not allowing pets into our hotel out of respect to other guests and their experience. Lastly, we apologize for not having cookies available during your time with us. As one of our highly sought after amenities, we will bring more focus and attention to this aspect of our operations. We look forward to the day we can once again welcome you in as our guest.

Management & Staff

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Waterloo? Share your experiences!