“Never again!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Waterloo
iowa
“Never again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

My wife and I booked a room here through a third party booking service to save a few bucks. Checked in and gave them a credit card for incidentals. A couple months pass and when reviewing the credit card bills we noticed there was a charge from the third party booking service (as there should have been) AND another one from the hotel for the full amount of a night's stay.

I first sent the owner/manager an email notifying him of the double charge and gave him the information needed to take care of it. I got no reply. I then called and asked to talk to him but he was not there so the sales and marketing person at the hotel took my info and said she'd call back, which I believe she did the next day. She informed me that her manager said that they don't work with the third party booking service that I used and that they've never even heard of it before. I've used the service 3-4 times in the past with no problems.... I then emailed them the confirmation email from the booking service.

I had to call again a couple days later because, again, I got no reply from the hotel. I told the sales person (Bonnie) that they obviously do work with the booking service because I booked the hotel room through them....otherwise, how would they have had my info at check in? AND, the hotel still comes up as a search result when looking for hotels in the area. I told Bonnie that this was getting ridiculous and that the charge should have been removed the first day I called about it. She then assured me that it would get taken care of and if there were any problems that the manager would give me a call back. Well, of course it wasn't and he didn't!

So then I had to contact IHG customer care and try to resolve it through them but all they basically do is forward my complaints to the hotel which does no good. I also disputed the charge with the credit card company and they put it "under investigation". A few weeks passed and I just received a letter informing me that my "inquiry has been resolved in my favor because the hotel has not yet provided the necessary information." I had also notified the booking service and they also reversed the charges even though I did not ask them to.

The takeaway? Because of the lack of responses and what seemed like an "i don't care what you say" attitude, the manager/owner is not someone who I would trust with my credit card information.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Waterloo, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear bubbatrout,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments online. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am deeply sorry that your stay was a disappointment during this visit due to the shortcomings received from the service of our staff. Rest assured that I have noted your feedback and this will be forwarded to them so that they can continuously improve on their efforts.

Again, thanks for the review and my apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Pam G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Tampa Bay area, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I travel constantly for business, every week. If there is anything I hate in life it is something that makes my job and my travels more difficult. I would have booked this hotel and had my finger on the button to book then noticed that the rate changed by a few dollars each night during my stay. The amount is no big deal, like I said, a few dollars either way. What is a big deal is doing my expenses and figuring out and keying in each day's differences. I would rather sit here and wright this review than have to deal with that so I booked another hotel. You want my business? Simplify your pricing.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Waterloo, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear 32331,

Zelyn N
Davenport, IA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have stayed here for most of my visits to this area. The staff is well trained and always helpful. The property is only a few years old, so everything works. I have had no complaints at all. There is plenty nearby - restaurants, shopping, movie theater, fast food, hospital, and located right off the main intersection of I-380 and Hwy 20.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel on a recent business trip. It was the first that this location. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. I needed a place to work with a colleague so we were offered a conference room in which we could get our work done.

The rooms were clean and the breakfast was Holiday inn like.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Daejeon, South Korea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

A recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express - Waterloo came to meet my expectations for the hotel chain: new, clean, and affordable rooms. My room, #307, was warmly decorated and the furniture was well maintained. The bathroom, large and spacious, had one fault: the toilet wasn't attached well to the floor. As a result, the toilet shifted when being used or being flushed.

The free hot breakfast, while standard for the chain, definitely seemed higher quality and more edible than at other HI Express hotels I've stayed at. The other facilities at the hotel: pool, workout room, and business center were also modern and well-maintained.

Unfortunately, the front desk staff appeared to resort to hiding in the front office and relying on guests using a call bell for service. More often than not, the front desk was not staffed whenever I walked past. A major disappointment for a business in the hospitality industry.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Waterloo, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Keane N,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. I am sorry you were not satisfied with the service you received from our staff. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Ferdinand G.
Waterloo, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I had accidentally booked the wrong date for my business stay. The hotel manager not only accommodated me but also cancelled my wrong booking even though I had prepaid. Room was very clean, new, spacious and comfortable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Davenport, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

It was really amazing to see the cleaniness of the hotel,the hotel looks brand new and lobby decor was absolutely fabulous,upon checkin all staff were inviting and were ready with my room keys and reg cards the rooms location was offer which a requested in my reservation 3 weeks ago.My kids enjoyed the huge pool and spa, and GM even came and showed us the special feature pool had (the wave jets) totally amazing
We definitely recommand this hotel to our friends and family
Had a great stay

Room Tip: Very helpful staff