“Nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #5 of 15 hotels in Waterloo
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel on a recent business trip. It was the first that this location. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. I needed a place to work with a colleague so we were offered a conference room in which we could get our work done.

The rooms were clean and the breakfast was Holiday inn like.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

78 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Daejeon, South Korea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

A recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express - Waterloo came to meet my expectations for the hotel chain: new, clean, and affordable rooms. My room, #307, was warmly decorated and the furniture was well maintained. The bathroom, large and spacious, had one fault: the toilet wasn't attached well to the floor. As a result, the toilet shifted when being used or being flushed.

The free hot breakfast, while standard for the chain, definitely seemed higher quality and more edible than at other HI Express hotels I've stayed at. The other facilities at the hotel: pool, workout room, and business center were also modern and well-maintained.

Unfortunately, the front desk staff appeared to resort to hiding in the front office and relying on guests using a call bell for service. More often than not, the front desk was not staffed whenever I walked past. A major disappointment for a business in the hospitality industry.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Waterloo, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Keane N,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. I am sorry you were not satisfied with the service you received from our staff. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Waterloo, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I had accidentally booked the wrong date for my business stay. The hotel manager not only accommodated me but also cancelled my wrong booking even though I had prepaid. Room was very clean, new, spacious and comfortable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Davenport, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

It was really amazing to see the cleaniness of the hotel,the hotel looks brand new and lobby decor was absolutely fabulous,upon checkin all staff were inviting and were ready with my room keys and reg cards the rooms location was offer which a requested in my reservation 3 weeks ago.My kids enjoyed the huge pool and spa, and GM even came and showed us the special feature pool had (the wave jets) totally amazing
We definitely recommand this hotel to our friends and family
Had a great stay

Room Tip: Very helpful staff
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Check in was fine, the lobby was nice. Our room had a smell. A bad smell. Dirty feet or the smell of a million lady bugs releasing their stink in a vacuum cleaner bag. I asked for a room spray since it was getting late and the kids didn't want to change rooms. That masked the smell-for a little while. The bathroom in our room was very clean and spacious. The pillows were too big to be comfortable but the beds were fine. The t.v. remote didn't work and the t.v. station guide was wrong. The pool area was nice but the lights weren't on and it was super dark in there. We asked at the front desk and they turned on the lights. The pool was a GREAT temperature and so was the hot tub in the evening. The next morning the hot tub was colder than the pool and we had to find (and I mean find since the front desk person didn't answer the bell and we couldn't find her anywhere) the front desk person to unlock the pool-it was after 8am, after the pool opens. The fitness center was CRAP. One treadmill was the smallest I've ever seen and it didn't work properly. The other treadmill was fine but it was literally 80 degrees in that tiny room and NO thermostat. There was a fan but it was a small one. As soon as I walked into the room I knew it was going to be a hot workout since I was HOT and hadn't done anything yet. Breakfast was a typical continental breakfast with plenty of room for all of the guests.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Waterloo, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear KatherineNoel,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay. We value your feedback as they enable us to further improve the quality and services we offer and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and providing us a candid feedback.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I had a fabulous stay,all staff were very helpful and caring.I checked in around 12am,the front desk clerk was ready to check me in even she asked me if i needed any assistance with my bags(thought that was nice of her).Next day my family was so amazed to see the cleaninesss of the hotel room,first ever ,seen a hotel room corners were spotless and absolutley amazing (housekeeping staff been very well trained to detail).The hotel breakfast was great a resturant like setup and staff was very carring

Great stay

Room Tip: Great staff and very very clean rooms
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This hotel staff provided great service from the time of reservation to checkin they make sure at all my request were provided.
I had 2 infants with us during our stay and we requested extra crib,towels and linen and they were all in the room before we even checked in great housekeeping staff the room was very clean and detail

Room Tip: Great customer service and very help staff through out
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Waterloo? Share your experiences!