“very nice hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Waterloo
Northfield Ohio
“very nice hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

We stayed for one night on our way to Mt. Rushmore. It was a very pleasant surprise. The hotel is 3 years old. The rooms were very nice and spacious. It was a very bright and airy atmosphere. The casino was very nice also. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. We didn't try the pool.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

I was there 3 months ago and loved it and assured my guests they would also. Not so lucky the 2 nd time around. Check in was a fiasco. First time I was allowed in my room about 11 am. This time we were told 4pm. About 2pm we were told the rooms were cleaned and just had to be inspected, so we got our luggage and we were rudely informed that doesn't mean it will be soon, they could not bother housekeeping to check on a room. The two 50 something women at the hotel were very rude, not willing to go out of their way at all. We heard other customers say they are treated the same way by those two employees. They finally got us in about 3 and we got to our room and found out they definetly were not "inspected". Normally we are not to picky but we pulled out the table to put food on and it wasn't even washed, juice dirt etc. The whole room was not dusted, I wiped it down myself. Hair band still in the shower. Mold on the tiles. The lamp shade was broke and hanging there, 2 light bulbs burnt out, "some inspection". What a shame, the place is only a few years old and already getting run down. If the game is to make people gamble until 4 just say so, don't let people believe the place was sold out on a MOn. night (when we knew it wasn't) and there weren't any rooms available before 4pm. The casino staff was fairly nice. Gambled at the tables for 6 hrs. We won but never got one drink bought for us. The night before we were at Diamond Joes and the pit bosses bought our drinks all night and they were super friendly and helpful. There we got in our rooms at 12 and they couldn't have been move helpful, what a difference in service. On the plus note beds are very comfortable and it is pretty sound proof, very dark curtains, excellent for sleeping. Don't think we will return, a long drive for us where we can go locally for a lot better treatment. A little training in the customer service area would be a good investment, in this economy I'm sure there are people who know how to treat customers and would be greatful for the job.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

We had a group of 8 (including 4 children ages 3, 9, 11 & 14) that stayed at the hotel 7/18-7/19/10 after visiting the Lost Island Waterpark. The hotel is very tastefully decorated and still has that "shiny new" feeling even after being a few years old.

My only complaint-the front desk staff & check-in process. Check in takes forever; be prepared to wait. We had made our reservation a few weeks in advance and requested adjoining rooms. They were unable to fill that request, but did put our rooms next to one another. The odd thing was that one of our rooms WAS adjoining, but we weren't put in the adjoined room. The hotel was FAR from maximum capacity so I unsure why it was so difficult to fill our request. Later on I went to ask the front desk staff a question and they wouldn't even acknowledge I was standing there. I was not impressed with their customer service skills.

Our rooms were spacious with nice decor. The bathrooms were very nice. There are no tubs, but the big beautiful walk in showers make up for it.

The buffet was impressive, very good food. Adults - go sign up for an Isle player's card to receive a $2 discount on your buffet.

There is a pool at the hotel, but it is very small and only 4 feet at maximum depth. The hot tub is almost as big as the pool, but it gave the kids something to do after dinner. There is really nothing else for the kids to do there.

Some of us adults hit the casino after dinner. The casino is very well kept and we had a nice time. The bartenders seemed a little short staffed, so we did have to wait awhile for drinks, but other than that we had fun.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

This hotel was great. Of course I think with any hotel there are always glitches but I am not a person that complains. Check in was a little crazy. If consistently are busy at check in I would have each computer checking people in. I heard them "the room isn't ready yet" and "check in isn't technically until 4". I mean really it was 3:45, rooms should have been done. Maybe they should staff more housekeeping on the weekends. Our check in was fast & fine so no worries with us! As for the room itself, it is just as pictured. The good: very spacious, quiet, nice bathroom (no tub), nice TV, VERY comfortable bed/pillows. The not as good: no fridge, bad TV reception, no TV guide, and my flat sheet on the bed was dirty and had to get housekeeping to come up and give me a new one. Like I said I don't complain & really was no big deal to me took 2 min to change out! We ate at the buffet and my husband ate 7 plates of crab legs, he said they were great. It is a buffet not super fancy but nice. The casino was very nice blast! Lots of machines, plenty of room, smoking & non smoking areas. Overall it is a little smoky but it didn't bother us even as non smokers. We didn't use the pool but I did notice lots of kids. Google maps it wrong: exit Hwy 20 232 south on 218 until the first stop light turn west and the Isle is right on your right. Hint if you call the hotel directly and book there are some great packages that include free breakfasts, free meals (not buffet), and $10ea gambling $.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Waterloo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2009

I've stayed at this hotel a number of times. This hotel has great rooms. Nice big, soft beds. Flat screen TV. Large bathroom.

Good sized indoor pool and a large hot tub between the hotel and casino.

If you want a great place to stay in the Waterloo/Cedar Falls area, stay at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

Visited the casino several times and decided to book it as our "recommended hotel" for our wedding (many out of town guests). Hotel rooms were great for our guests - the issue was hotel security staff (absolutely appalling). Many guests wanted to play at the casino after the wedding. Big Mistake - casino security was rude, offensive, belligerent and insulting to approx 60+ of our guests. Many of our guests were older (many of whom do not drink at all) were accused of being "too intoxicated" and told to "go to your room or face being arrested. Really necessary? One would think that holding banquet events and reserving 40+ hotel rooms for two nights would buy you at least a shred of customer service or decency - - apparently not at the Waterloo Isle. Wedding planners beware, terrible place for groups. Our group had stayed there the evening before and ran into zero issues, perhaps the security that evening was incompetent. When the hotel front desk was informed the next morning, they were reluctant to comment - simply stated that the casino and hotel are "separate" and they have no control over the security. We had heard another review of a couple booking a wedding there and ALL guests were refused to be let into the casino afterwards, didn't believe the story at the time but it must be standard operating procedure.

• Stayed September 2009
usrgaw
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

We booked through Hotels.com and didn't really know what to expect. We had a hard time finding it - TIP - don't trust Google Maps to get you there! I had printed off directions to our hotel, and as we drove into town, we saw from the interstate something that looked remarkably like the pictures online. But the directions said keep going, so keep going we went. The map had the exits ALL wrong... the interstate didn't have exits where it said it would, it tried to send us the wrong way down one way streets, and when we self-navigated to our proposed destination, it was a car shop. Not exactly a comfy place to spend the night. We decided to try our luck and head back towards the place that looked like our hotel, and sure enough, that was it outside of town.

But, wow, were we rewarded for our patience. We got checked in and up to our room (though the smoky casino, that was the only down side) and I kid you not, it was the nicest hotel room I've ever been in, for less than you normally pay for your average Comfort Inn / Fairfield / etc. And I've traveled quite a bit.

We were on the top/9th floor in a corner room (although from doing some research, it sounds like the rooms are mostly the same). It was still storming when we got in, so we could look out our windows and see the lightning rolling in for miles and miles. We laid down in bed, and my husband declared that he was not going to the job interview that brought us into town, he was going to stay in that bed forever. It was so comfortable, we both got incredibly good nights of sleep. The entire room including the bathroom was pristinely clean, the towels were soft, the shower had exactly the right amount of water pressure, the in-room coffee was good (says husband), everything was seriously perfect. I asked my husband whether, if he got the job, we could move in there ;)

We did not go into the casino or take advantage of any of the other amenities... we could barely be bothered to leave our room. Absolutely incredible.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Been to Isle Casino Hotel Waterloo? Share your experiences!