“OMG!! Horrible” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Americas Best Value Inn - Walcott / Davenport

You added Americas Best Value Inn - Walcott / Davenport to your Saves list
Americas Best Value Inn - Walcott / Davenport
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   241 Interstate Street, Walcott, IA 52773 (Formerly Econo Lodge Walcott)   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Walcott
Hays, Kansas
“OMG!! Horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

I absolutely cannot believe this is a franchised hotel! Absolutely filthy and disgusting. Arrived fairly late (too tired to keep driving) and was checked in by what looked like a gangster... I was actually afraid to give him my credit card. The sign outside flashed a $39 rate, yet inside they said it was $60 cause I wasn't a trucker. The room was horrible! Slept in my clothes and would not walk on the floor without shoes. Bathroom was filthy - no screens on the garden level room - and the entire hotel smelled like cooked elephant! Shut this place down or remove the franchised name. It's more like "Smelly Dump Inn!" Save your money and sleep on the curb if you want higher quality and a better value.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Burleson, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Just like any other truck driver we decided to stay in a room to get out of the truck and have more comfort come to find out boy was I wrong, walked into the room and the floor was nasty didn't dare walk on it without something on my feet. Went to take a shower and the shower/tub looked dirty like it hadn't been cleaned and the towels were dingy looking and the shower head wasn't the best water was spraying the ceiling and it took the hot water forever to get hot. We were in room 204. Would not recommend staying here, I know we want ever stay here again. THIS PLACE IS A DUMP !!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I stayed here recently and wish I would have read the reviews before I did. We stayed in non-Smoking and it wreaked of cigarette smoke so bad I woke up choking in the middle of the night.
It is also horribly filthy. I am 32 weeks pregnant and had to go to the doctor for small itchy bumps on my arms, which are now spreading to my legs. It's BEDBUGS. This is the only place I stayed and now am suffering terribly from this horrible decision. Unless you want to leave with a friend you didn't have before (BEDBUG) don't stay here.

Room Tip: Don't Stay here You will REGRET it.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Springfield, OH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The whole place reeks of cigarettes. Every floor needs to be vacuumed. Service was friendly, however.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Winthrop Harbor, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

Pass this one by. This is the WORST place I have ever stayed. Room was filthy, wind blew threw the windows, thermostat would not control the heat (I guess to make up for the wind blowing through the window, something red squirted on the ceiling, bathroom door falling apart and wouldn't close, beds were worn out. We could not wait to get out of this DUMP!!! I rated it a one, only because there is no zero.

Room Tip: Keep driving past this one.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Lima, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

Rate on sign seen from I80 is not what you get. Totally misleading as that rate only applies to those holding the Corporate Lodging Card? Give me a break. Motel is adjacent to the worlds largest truck stop which means noise and diesel fumes. Room is adequate with a rocker recliner which was broken. Breakfast-toast, rolls, coffee and juice. Coffee was very good. Staff certainly weren't hired for their friendliness.

Room Tip: if you stay here get a room on the east side away from the truck stop
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

We stayed here one night earlier this month. As truck drivers, we wanted a night out of the truck, and this place was convenient to the truck stop next door. The room itself was pretty shabby, but suited our needs for a good night sleep in a big(ger) bed. Or so we thought. Granted, we didn't expect much, but certainly did NOT expect to get what we got.

We left very early the following morning, and I didn't realize until later that same morning that my arms, legs, and other body parts were beginning to sprout with bedbug bites. I ended up taking Benadryl for the severe itch for almost a week. It is now almost 3 weeks later, and they're still healing.

I first contacted Choice Hotels on the 3rd day after check-out by email. After NOT receiving a response within the 72 hours promised in the auto-generated email response I received, I called them. The CSR told me that I needed to give the motel manager 72 more hours to respond. When I didn't hear back in those 72 hours, I called again. This new CSR acted much more helpful, stating that the complaint had never even gone to the motel manager, and he would make sure he sent it right away. He also told me that the complaint would be referred to their Insurance/Legal Department. This 2nd CSR told me to contact the motel manager in a couple days. After these NEW couple days were up, I contacted Choice Hotels again, just to make sure that we were all on the same page, before I called the motel manager. According to CSR #3, the complaint had finally been forwarded to the motel manager, but that the motel was "non-responsive." Basically the info I got from CSR #3 was that a complaint of this nature is only handled by the motel manager, and at this point, Choice Hotels would not be doing anything to resolve the issue.

I called the motel manager, who told me that if I neglected to tell the motel staff before checking out that I'd been bitten, it was no longer his responsibility. He said it was his word against mine, and for all he knew, we had bedbugs in our truck! He took my name and number and said he'd check into it, but I'm not holding my breath for any actions that would make me ever want to stay with them, or any Choce Hotel, again.

By the way, I reported it to the Health Department, and they're sending someone out to close the room down.

Beware!

Room Tip: Don't stay here, that's my suggestion for choosing a good room.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Been to Americas Best Value Inn - Walcott / Davenport? Share your experiences!