“Ok for the road warrior” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Urbandale
Bloomington, Illinois
“Ok for the road warrior”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Fire alarm went off 2 different nights. Not the fault of the hotel - people burned meals and then opened the door to air out the room. It was annoying and woke me from sleep the first time. The location is convenient - right off of the interstate. Nothing much around it in terms of restaurants, etc. It's a place to camp for the night. Wireless was ok. I did ask about an exercise room - there is none. A brochure in the room read that if there was no exercise room, the hotel likely had an agreement with a local club. No dice and no offer of any suggestions where to go.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - Urbandale, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Tom - The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. I am glad that you liked our hotel's location and your room overall. Still, I am very sorry that the fire alarm disturbed you during your stay and that a fitness option was not outlined at check-in. Please know, we take guest safety very seriously, so while we are saddened that smoke triggered our alarms, we are glad to hear that they guided you to safety when needed. As well, your comments were reviewed by the staff, and moving forward we will better explain our fitness facility location to make sure your experience is not repeated.

Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at DMU@extendedstay.com.
It's great to hear that our location is convenient for you. The staff and I would like to thank you again for posting your review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Waterloo, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

This was an okay stay. The staff at this hotel is great, extremely helpful and nice. The rooms were dated, and definitely showed signs of wear. Our room had an odd smell, almost like old cooking oil. The bed was very uncomfortable.

It was a decent stay, mostly because it was inexpensive.

• Stayed August 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - Urbandale, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us.

The situation you described regarding the bed comfort and room odor is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. I discussed your comments with the team, and we are going to monitor for smells when checking rooms. Our team is committed to satisfying our guests, so we are very thankful for your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at DMU@extendedstay.com

It's great to hear that the staff was friendly and nice. The staff and I would like to thank you again for posting your review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future
IOWA CITY, IOWA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Not so good experience in the past. However, gave them a second chance. They tried really hard. Staff is excellent. Location good- with a car. Wish they had a pool- we would stay more often. Great for short stays.

• Stayed July 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - Urbandale, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I sincerely apologize that your previous stay was not the best; however I am glad to read that you were pleased with your most recent stay at our hotel. As well, I am very happy that you found our staff to be excellent and that you enjoyed our location.

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

As the manager stated "all we have to offer are clean rooms, no pool, no exercise room or extras." This is exactly what I needed and wanted.

The staff was very courteous and accommodating, we were allowed a early check-in and late check-out on a 1 nite stay.
We were in the area for a track meet at Drake University, hotel is on the interstate. A great value it was perfect for the occasion.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - Urbandale, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I truly appreciate your comments regarding our courteous and accommodating staff. As well, I am so glad to read that you enjoyed your clean room.

Wheaton, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Don't stay here. We stayed here for a family wedding. Another family member made the reservation and we arrived before them. When I inquired about checking in, I was asked if I was the person that made the reservation. I advised that I was not. It was then that the rudeness came. The woman at the registration desk stated, "then I am not checking you in". It was the way she said it that I had a problem with. I understand why she couldn't check us in, but a simple "I'm sorry, but I can't check you in until the other party arrives" would have been a better way to state it. When the other party finally arrived, we were allowed to check in. Now for the disgusting part. The carpet is completely stained, the comforters have holes in them, and our "non smoking" room smells like smoke. I am usually OK with just about anything as long as it is clean and comfortable. My recommendation is to avoid this hotel and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - Urbandale, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The level of cleanliness in your room and the lack of attention to your needs from our staff you described is unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. To prevent this from happening again, my team has been directed to closely watch for issues such as yours when cleaning and inspecting rooms. Also, I have spoken with the entire team about the importance of providing great guest service and am coaching them on ways to better the service they offer moving forward.

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at DMU @extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
Studio City, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This was my first stay at this hotel, but the second night in an Extended Stay America. We had stayed in Cleveland the night before and had an unpleasant experience. This location however, will make me consider staying at this chain again. The staff were all fantastic, from the night watchman that let us in at midnight, to the front desk staff the next morning at check out. The hotel was well kept and our room spit spot. There was a nice area to walk our dog and good grab-and-go selection for breakfast. It was so much nicer than the location the night before, I was shocked that is was part of the same chain. So much so, I offered to write this review.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such fantastic things about the staff. It's great to hear that the grab-and-go breakfast was a hit, and the area to walk your dog was spacious..

Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I would not enjoy an extended stay in this property. Not because it's a bad property or the staff isn't friendly and helpful. It's just so basic that it's boring. It sits next to an interstate all by itself and quite a distance (especially walking distance) from any restaurants, shopping, or night-life. Rooms are spartan in their decor and furnishings are just basic. The bathroom is brighly lit but has a fan that runs constantly that is so loud you can't hear the TV in the bedroom. An extended stay here would be a bit like an extended stay in a minimum security detention facility - survivable but not pleasant - and certainly not something you'd look forward to repeating. Luckily, my stay was just one night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - Urbandale, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Tom - Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. I am very happy that you found our staff to be so friendly and helpful. Still, please accept our most sincere apologies for the level of cleanliness in your room and that our location was not ideal for your travels. As well, I am disheartened to read that the bathroom fan was not working properly. In response to your comments, I am working with the maintenance staff to make repairs in your room as needed and the housekeeping staff to revamp our cleaning procedures.

Thanks to your feedback, we can continue to work on providing an exceptional stay for all of our guests. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Been to Extended Stay America - Des Moines - Urbandale? Share your experiences!