“Nice Hotel, lousy TV” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Urbandale
Williamstown, Massachusetts
“Nice Hotel, lousy TV”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012 via mobile

Very nice hotel. My only complaint was the TV. I had been driving all day and wanted to veg for an hour or two in front of the TV. While the TV was a flat panel HD, it was old and not great. There was not a single HD channel and many of the channels had a sign saying the channel wasn't available without some sort of digital decoder. The SD channels that were available looked terrible (worse than on an old standard TV). I bagged it and just went to sleep. I am writing this review in another HGI while watching HD TV on a much nicer TV. The Urbandale/Des Moines HGI needs to upgrade their TV service. It's way behind the times and a blemish on an otherwise excellent property.

• Stayed March 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

Hilton Garden Inn properties typically equate to nice hotel stays. But this property was by far a cut above typical. Although the entry, lobby and eating areas were basic HGI footprint, their indoor swimming pool/whirlpool area was more spacious and brighter than usual. They had a functional Fitness Center, but there was also a large Convention/Banquet Facility with numerous meeting rooms. To a person, the staff were tremendous, but we especially appreciated Taylor and Emily at the front desk. Located immediately next door is a Texas Roadhouse, and the front desk provided us with a coupon for free appetizer :-) As a Hilton Diamond member, our made-to-order breakfast was complimentary as always, but the upgrade to their Executive Suite was totally unexpected. Along with several other guest amenities which were provided, it all made for a superb hotel experience!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Cedar Rapids, IA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

Clean and nice. Was there for their New Years Eve Blues event. A bit pricey, but considering it was a special event, we appreciated the fact we didn't have to go anywhere afterwards but upstairs to our room.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

I'm originally from Urbandale and so I have to go back now and then to visit family. The Hilton has become the hotel of choice for me and my boyfriend when we come to the area. I like the location - when we get off the highway it's right there, and despite being near I80, it's quite tranquil.
It's a family hotel, so getting alone time at the pool is nigh impossible. There's also sadly no one around to enforce the rules of "no screaming" and "no jumping" in the pool area. But if you're lucky to catch a time when there are no kids, it's small but pretty nice.
Rooms are just fine - I question the effectiveness of the 'adjustable' beds, because every night I'm there I try a different setting and I don't think it actually changes. Regardless, the beds are fine and the rooms are quite spacious - with mini fridges, coffee makers, and microwaves included.
The people at the desk are a bit impersonal. No eye-contact when you check in, and not really much for conversation. I understand this is not a hotel geared towards personal service however so for efficiency's sake the check-ins/outs are quick and easy.
Generally, I'd call it a nice hotel, and I'll keep going back if I keep finding decent rates online.

Room Tip: I like upper floor facing the highway, but it's merely a personal preference. I'm sure all o...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Oskaloosa, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

Husband and I stayed here during a three-day conference in October. Hotel staff was mostly friendly, except for one front desk person who seemed aloof and uninterested. The room was quite large, as was the bathroom. Our room had a little "kitchen" area, with a sink, little refrigerator, and microwave. The desk setup was nice, with access to plug-ins for computer, cell phone, etc. King-sized bed was very comfortable, and the linens were nice and fresh. We found the room to be very quiet, even though the hotel sits very close to I-80. We didn't use the fitness room or the indoor pool, but they looked very nice.

One odd thing about this hotel is their "cafe" right off the front lobby. There is an island, of sorts, that has muffins and fruit sitting on it. If you look closely, there is a small sign that says you can purchase breakfast, either a hot breakfast buffet, or a cooked to order breakfast, or a "Continental" with just pastries, fruit, juice, etc. When my husband went down to the lobby on our first morning, he missed seeing the sign and thought it was a complimentary Continental breakfast, like you'd find at Holiday Inn Express and other hotels like that. Nobody was tending the breakfast area, so he grabbed a cup of (substandard) coffee and a couple of mini muffins, thinking they were free with the room. Whoops!! No one confronted him about it, but when I went down to the lobby later, I walked up to the breakfast "island," walked around it and saw the sign. I felt the price for the Continental breakfast was too high for what you were getting, so I left and went across the street for a latte at Starbucks. Yeah, Starbucks is expensive, too, but I felt I got a better product for my money there. In any case, the rooms at this hotel are expensive enough that you should expect to receive at least a free Continental breakfast with the room. The little pastries, fruit, and coffee aren't great, so charging so much for these things seemed like pocket gouging to me.

Bottom line, yes, the room was nice. Very expensive, however, so I don't think we would have stayed there if we hadn't come for a conference on the company's dime.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

We stayed here for one night while passing through the area. The room was very nice (though the sink was very clogged!), quiet and comfortable. The exercise room was very good - fresh towels, purified water, and some of the same exercise machines as our gym at home. We didn't swim in the indoor pool, but it looked well maintained. There is a shopping center nearby, including a grocery stores, big movie theater, and several restaurants. Some of the nearby restaurants (e.g., Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks) are walkable. I'd stay here again if we're in the area again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper-floor room for a nice view of the area.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Champlin, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011 via mobile

The hotel was good overall. Clean rooms, sheets, bathrooms. The wifi was spotty in the rooms which was disappointing. There was a good size pool and whirlpool. The exercise room has personal TVs for every machine. Breakfast isn't free though. Good hotel overall.

• Stayed October 2011

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Des Moines/Urbandale? Share your experiences!